Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• My prices are INSANE!

And now the Weather...

I thought I'd start a thread about the weather.
    If you would like to post weather related Youtube videos or whatever strikes you fancy by all means do.
    I'm kind of a weather nerd, and the weather has been keeping a lot of us on our toes lately.

So here are two videos taken on July 12th of this year in the lovely city of Denver CO.

If your from Denver then you know what I'm talking about.
    Mainly because you probably couldn't sleep through this.
    The Denver area had a week of nonstop Lightning storms caused by a monsoonal flow coming up from Mexico.

The first video is short but gives you an idea of how frequent the strikes were.
    The second video is just non stop lightning, both close and far away.
    If you ever think the lightning inside the Haunted Mansion isn't possible check these videos out.

Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Dreams do come true

Re: And now the Weather...

Well right now it's 93 in Las Vegas and 66 in Lake Tahoe. I know where I'd rather be...or 74 at Disneyland

• My prices are INSANE!

We've had a pretty mild summer this year in Los Angeles.
    Just glad I don't live in Texas were they've been having that over 100 degree heat wave for over a month.

Stop by my website

• Goofy

summer has been not too bad.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The weather in Chicago, this Summer, has been hot and rainy. Because of that my garden looks like a real jungle. Everything growing like crazy. That's great for the grass, and flowers. Not so great for the weeds.

I am headed up to Wisconsin Dells at the end of August. Now I want it to be hot up there, since it's the Waterpark Capital of the World.

• Infinitized!

Strange weather here in BC and Alberta this summer. I just came back to the land of Club Penguin (Kelowna) to visit with my sister for a couple days and to celebrate my birthday. They had some wicked storms go thru here this year. And in my new neighborhood in Calgary, a couple weeks ago we had some freak storms come out of nowhere - mesocyclones. Just four blocks from me, one guy lost his life. There was a major downpour with hail. He went to move his car from the street. There was such a strong current, almost a flash flood, going down the street that it was enough to sweep him off his feet and underneath his car. People that were around tried saving him, but he passed away when the paramedics got to the hospital. A very freak and sad accident.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

It is really foggy here this morning. You couldn't see the refinery or the other end of the island. I was surprised. It is perfect sleeping weather, but odd. The low is 49' high 80'.

• I'm not really here

Those were great videos. I truly miss living in Denver. The lightning storms were fantastic. We've had a lot more big thunderstorms here in Utah than ever before this year. Been here just over a decade now and this is the first year we've really had thunder and lightning. Nearly every afternoon, thunderstorms. It's unheard of.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• My prices are INSANE!

Wishing everyone out on the east coast to stay safe and dry as Hurricane Irene does her thing.
    I've never experienced a Hurricane, and would be very happy if I never get the chance.

Stay safe everyone.

---------- Post added 08-23-2011 at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Those were great videos. I truly miss living in Denver. The lightning storms were fantastic. We've had a lot more big thunderstorms here in Utah than ever before this year. Been here just over a decade now and this is the first year we've really had thunder and lightning. Nearly every afternoon, thunderstorms. It's unheard of.
    We have family that live in the Denver area.
    From what they told us, they had thunderstorms for 8 days in row.
    Their dog was not a fan of the thunderstorms.
    At one point the poor thing was trying to dig a hole out of his dog crate at 1 in the morning.
    They said it was some of the most unusual weather they had seen in that area.

Stop by my website

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry View Post
    We have family that live in the Denver area.
    From what they told us, they had thunderstorms for 8 days in row.
    Their dog was not a fan of the thunderstorms.
    At one point the poor thing was trying to dig a hole out of his dog crate at 1 in the morning.
    They said it was some of the most unusual weather they had seen in that area.
    Yeah, my parents said that same thing. Incredibly intense. Denver can get very moist warm air moving up from the Gulf. They call it upslope flow. If that coincides with cooler air moving down from Canada (which I'm guessing it did by the storms), then you get some pretty gnarly thunder storms. A similar thing happens in Arizona when the moist warm air from the Gulf of California moves north and then the night sets in and the temperature drops rapidly. They get wild monsoon thunderstorms.

Looks like these were just really powerful. So many factors contribute to something like this. Weather is a lot of fun to both watch and study.

I echo the sentiment that everyone out East stays safe. Hopefully Irene alters track or weakens significantly.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• My prices are INSANE!

Hmm Just reported an earthquake on the East coast.
    Looks like a 5.3 at the moment.

EDIT:

Upgraded to a 5.9

Stop by my website

• My prices are INSANE!

With the earthquake on Tuesday and Irene closing in, the East coast is getting a double whammy.

Here are some websites that I use when I weather watch.

First up is the National Doppler Radar Site.
    Covers the entire United States and Puerto Rico.

National Weather Service Doppler Radar Images

Another site I like to visit is the Wunderground site.
    This site has links to all the National Weather Service weather Radio stations all over the country. This site comes in handy if your watching thunderstorm and tornado outbreaks.

Wunder Radio Directory : Weather Underground

There's also a great website that tracks Hurricanes called Stormpulse.

Track Hurricane Irene / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping

And, of course, the other sites that cover the weather.

The Weather Channel

National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

The Accu Weather site.

AccuWeather.com

And finally, to cover earthquakes.
    The USGS earthquake shake map.

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

And if you live in California and Nevada.
    We have our own map.

California-Nevada Fault Maps

Happy weather watching.
    Last edited by Crazy Larry; 08-24-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Stop by my website

• I'm not really here

For weather I like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. TONS of links off that page to other really great sub pages. The maps are all clickable. Links to radars at various levels, rain tracks, winds, etc.
    NOAA's National Weather Service

The National Center for Atmospheric Research is also really good for predictive weather and forcasting animations. Lots of links to satellite photos.
    RAP Real-Time Weather

For Hurricanes I use the National Hurricane Center. Again, maps are clickable, all the latest updates and images and predictions straight from the source all other weather services get them from.
    National Hurricane Center

No site is finer for earthquakes than the USGS link you posted. Clicking on a quake and using the maps tab leads to some really great information and views about the quakes.

The USGS makes some .kmz files available that are designed for use with Google Earth. They are phenomenal ways to visualize earthquakes and the faults they are related to positioned on the Earth.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...qs7day-age.kmz

One that I'm willing to be very few people every think about is Space Weather. It's the study of how the sun affects the Earth directly on a second by second basis. Every solar flare, the solar wind, all of it is constantly slamming into the Earths magnetosphere and affecting our power grids, communications satellites, etc. These 3 sites will provide you with an entirely new perspective on the star that keeps us alive and seems so peaceful in our sky.
    First up is SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids which is a great site for aggregate news about spaceweather. They provide alerts when flares and coronal mass ejections (explosions releasing billions of tons of high energy plasma) occur. Predictions for auroras, etc.
    Next are two sites for satellites that NASA operates. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) - Solar and Heliospheric Observatory Homepage - has been studying the sun non-stop for many years now. Lots of animations in various wavelengths of light showing just how complex and dynamic the sun is. Sensors measure solar wind speeds and density. The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) - SDO | Solar Dynamics Observatory - is much newer and has higher definition cameras and has videos that will blow your mind. These two plus a few others (STEREO A & B, ACE, etc) combine to give a view of the interactions between the sun and Earth that is stunning. The image and video galleries on these two sites are worth the visit alone.

• My prices are INSANE!

I'm putting a lot of these websites in overdrive today.
    Even though Irene is a CAT 2 she still is packing a big punch.
    A 450 mile wide angry storm.

Stay safe and dry if your in the area.

Stop by my website

• I'm not really here

Some amazing lightning here tonight.Lightning 8/27/2011 - YouTube

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast