Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Fish tank help???

We need fish tank help!

Bailey has a tank in his room - 30 gallons. Three fishes...it was four..but "green beans" died!

The water is a bit murky...and I have no clue how to clear it up. It's running two filter things that blow the bubbles into the water...(you can tell I have NO idea what I'm doing with this fish tank)

He's not over feeding them...just little pinches.

What could we be doing wrong?
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

• Minion

Re: Fish tank help???

Have you tried replacing the carbon filter? usually this clears the water up... if not pet supply stores do sell supplies that specifically clear the water. Lastly, you may want to consider investing in a aquarium water test that tests the pH, nitrate, chlorine, and water hardness (both gH and kH)...Hope this helps if you have any more questions please feel free to PM me!

• Minion

Also you mentioned its running two bubble things... these aren't usually water filters, they are just aquarium decorations. A filter will usually suck water into a box that has a carbon filter, so if the bubble things don't have a carbon filter, chances are you may need to buy a water filter

• Minion

Lastly, what type of fish are in the tank....do you also have live plants, snails, etc... and what type of food are you feeding the fish?

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Quote Originally Posted by MSEPForever
    Also you mentioned its running two bubble things... these aren't usually water filters, they are just aquarium decorations. A filter will usually suck water into a box that has a carbon filter, so if the bubble things don't have a carbon filter, chances are you may need to buy a water filter
    no these have the carbon fliters in them...perhaps we need to change those..but they are relatively new...only in for a month. Maybe it's our water???
    Too good to deny it.

• Minion

are you using faucet water?

• And, THEN she said...

I have a 30 gallon in my living room the bubble things may not be filters i run and underground filter and one that hangs on the side and the water runs thru it and waterfalls back into the tank and mine is crystal clear.. i wil edit this as soon as i find out the name of the type of hanging water filter i have.. but i had that problem too with my water being murky till i added the second filter..and you may need to get some cleaner fish like catfish for the bottom of the tank they help quite a bit i have 3 cats and little long fish that suck around on the sides and everywhere..they help too!

• And, THEN she said...

I didnt see everything that was posted before mine..I usually break mine totally down once a month and scrub everything..and dont forget to use chemicals to the new water i swear by Start Rite..awesome stuff! have used it for years..

I bet your filter cartridges need changing..I change mine every month whether they need it or not!

• Banned User

ok, lets begin at he beginning. how old is the tank? if you just started it and thru fish in you got problems. a tank has to form living bactria to eat the poop and such. Lets see what you have ok. if you have those silly filter boxes that lay on the bottom of the tank. you are in trouble. they do not work right and you ned something way better. ( you know the old kind that you put casrbon in and the white floss? those suck) ok, now you always need an under gravel filter, these are awsome. plus you need a large back filter ( the kind that hand on the back of the tank and you just change a bag every month or so.
    these will clean your tank fast! now on to cleaning the tank, always change 2 inches of water in your tank every week depending on how many fish you have. Using a hose and going thru the gravel ( this picks up a lot of waste) do this as you clean out the 2 inches of water. Never, never change the whole tank of water.I have kept tanks for over 25 years and my fish never die, they just have babies after babies! since we have only one fish store I got to the point I was giving fish back to them LOL! I will post a good back filter for you, and good pics of things. also remember you need a good pump to push water thru the under water gravel filter and change the air stones often. dam just fly me down and I will fix it in 1 hour good luck sweetie

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Yes...I need pics! I need Fish Tanks for Dummies!

He's got three fish...two are the same, I forget what they are called..but they are of the tropical variety...and one is from the catfish family...looks like a catfish.. but is only about 3 inches long.

We've had the tank a month...had water in it and it filtering for two weeks before we put a fish in it.

I have no idea what's under the gravel. We need a filter under there as well...hmmm. I'll take a picture of what we have and post it later.
    Too good to deny it.

• And, THEN she said...

ok found pics of what ive got this is the one hanging off of the back of my tank:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...9&N=2004+22768

and this is my underground system:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...8&N=2004+22768

hope this helps...let us know how it goes..

You are overfeeding your fish and not taken care of the ammonia and nitrates that are building in the tank. You need to change a third of the water every two weeks. DO NOT USE TAP WATER. The chlorine will kill them. I recommend going to a water store and getting water. Also go to the pet store and get some amomonia remover and ask for biological starter. You add these two the tank once a week and after water changes and it rids the tank of ammonia. Get a vaccuum pump and make sure to clean out the bottom of the tank. Feed the fish only once a day and a very small amont. they will not starve. You will have to probably get an algeacide also. You will have to clean the filter every other day for about a week and then tank should clear. If you tank has an odor, then you have too many nitrates and ammonia. Once you get it balanced and change the water twice a month, and use the prorper chemicals, your tank will remain. it only teakes about 30 minutes every two weeks.

Good Luck

• Minion

Well...if these recommendations don't help...at the very worst you can have fish for dinner

• And, THEN she said...

hmm ive always used tap water...i get that water conditoner called start Rite..I put it in the new water...

you may have to take the fish out and totally clean the tank and change the charcoal in the filter thats what ive always done when all else fails but i make sure the new water is the same temp as the water is in the fish bucket so i dont shock the fish..

Ok I think I will add my 2 cents too.
    You do not need an undergravel filter a good hang on back filter will work perfectly well.
    there is in fact a book called freshwater aquariums for dummies but this is better
    The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums
    by David E. Boruchowitz
    what you have sounds like "new tank syndrome" the 2 weeks that you had it running empty did not do anything to help it get ready for fish as hakuna makarla said you need to get your bacteria going and without a source of amonia(eg fish) nothing will happen
    You do need to do regular water changes with tap water that you have treated with a chemical neutraliser (amaquel or prime are good)and get a test kit or at least an amonia moniter so you can see what is going on. Otherwise more of the fish will probably die sorry
    hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast