Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Gifts for the teachers, what are you getting them?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I'm sure there are some geat teachers on this board so unless you teach in the antelope alley...then this does not apply to you..
    Too bad my commute would be too far (Inland Empire) or I would help the area out. I've had high praise from parents and administrators.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Here's what I said (slightly edited) in a similar thread on that other forum:

I've been teaching for more than 33 years, and I rarely receive gifts from students, nor do I expect them. Part of this may be from working with students of modest means (low socio-economic), and the fact that I haven't had a class of my own since 1991.

My colleagues do not encourage students giving them gifts. We have no problem accepting greeting cards or small heartfelt tokens, but a gift worth more than a few dollars would be politely refused. School is not about who can give the best gifts to teachers.

As far as I'm concerned the best gift a student can give a teacher is a big smile and a "Thank you for helping me learn so much!"

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

My boys's teachers are both getting a plate of homemade cookies/breads/treats(if they get made this weekend ) and starbucks gift cards. Kyler wanted to get his teacher a Sephora giftcard(that's mommy's boy I tell you!), but is settling with a starbucks one.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Just Me

The Boy's teacher will be getting some cookies and fudge.

• Senior Minion

I'm going to get my wife many things. She has been a teacher for over 12 years.

She gets tons of sweets and homemade gifts from her kids all the time. I sometimes have to help her finish the goodies.

Some of her kids parents and the kids themselves are so creative. It is such a joy when "one of her kids" does this for her.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Oh all of you had such wonderful idea's!! I have a huge bag of markers, arts and craft stuff, etc. I am glad I saw this here, I am going to give this also as the teachers have more to work with. I bought a lot of suplies to make ornaments with the kids and we have yet had time to get buisy, I am sure there teachers would love all this stuff. ThaNK YOU these sugestions are awsome. and my kids teachers, they are great!

• That Guy

I am new to the education field, so I don't have the extensive background that you other teachers have, but I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to everyone who honors teachers.

49% of new teachers will not work past three years in this field. By recognizing them this way, it really does help them know their efforts are valued.

Keep up the good work!

• Happy Memories

I'm not real big on the gifting myself. I guess to me it always seemed that it was the kids who gave me problems in class who tried to suck up at the end with a gift. I'd rather they have behaved better all year.

That being said, if you are going to give a gift to a teacher, put some thought into it as that is what will make the impression. I never could understand why they would give me chocolate or candy or other not so healthy items when I was teaching dance and trying to get them into being healthy?! I think the gift cards for book stores sound great and would have loved that kind of stuff. Even as a dance teacher I couyld have used that to buy music to use in class.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Lingerie, a nice massage, and some sweet treats.

(forgot to mention I'm married to one!).

Really, just the thought counts. She is most thrilled when an adult volunteers their time to help in the classroom - best gift ever for a teacher!
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    I'm not real big on the gifting myself. I guess to me it always seemed that it was the kids who gave me problems in class who tried to suck up at the end with a gift. I'd rather they have behaved better all year.

That being said, if you are going to give a gift to a teacher, put some thought into it as that is what will make the impression. I never could understand why they would give me chocolate or candy or other not so healthy items when I was teaching dance and trying to get them into being healthy?! I think the gift cards for book stores sound great and would have loved that kind of stuff. Even as a dance teacher I couyld have used that to buy music to use in class.
    well, since I and some other parents do not know you personnellay and as many said its the thought that counts maybe you could give the choclates to an elderly person or a mission. So many times we get what we are not happy with and yet do we give it to some one less fortunate? I think what ever I ever got was a nice gesture and I never look a gift as something less./

• most magical vaca ever

I am currently collecting $5 from each student to buy the teachers gift.... this is something EVERY class parent does for each class every year. Some parents send in the money and others reject it and send in their own gift. On average I collect $90-$100 and get a small token gift like a dated ornament and then the rest goes on a gift card.

I have several close friends that are teachers and they agree that the #1 teacher mugs and plaques are nice but they can only do so much with 50 of them every year.

They really do appreciate hand written notes from parents or students saying thank you and if a gift must be purchased they love gift cards to stores where they can purchase school supplies for the class since most of them have to pay out of pocket for such items...
    ~~~~~~

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    well, since I and some other parents do not know you personnellay and as many said its the thought that counts maybe you could give the choclates to an elderly person or a mission. So many times we get what we are not happy with and yet do we give it to some one less fortunate? I think what ever I ever got was a nice gesture and I never look a gift as something less./
    I'm not saying that the gestures aren't appreciated, just not necesary. But that was my personal opinion. As far as the chocolates, they didn't go to waste as there are many teachers who LOVE them. I just didn't think it made much sense to give candy to a teacher whose job it is to teach your child healthy habits. I don't think for a moment that you need to know me personally and pick out a gift that I really want, just that some common sense should go into it. That was why I said the gift card was a good idea. Any teacher, no matter what subject could find something useful to purchase with it. I apologize if my opinions on gift giving offended you. I was simply stating my opinion on the topic based on my own personal experiences.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    I'm not saying that the gestures aren't appreciated, just not necesary. But that was my personal opinion. As far as the chocolates, they didn't go to waste as there are many teachers who LOVE them. I just didn't think it made much sense to give candy to a teacher whose job it is to teach your child healthy habits. I don't think for a moment that you need to know me personally and pick out a gift that I really want, just that some common sense should go into it. That was why I said the gift card was a good idea. Any teacher, no matter what subject could find something useful to purchase with it. I apologize if my opinions on gift giving offended you. I was simply stating my opinion on the topic based on my own personal experiences.
    Harry, you did not offend me I am sorry if that is how it sounded

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

For the school teachers: Sephora gift packs.

For daycare teachers: Sephora body wash with a washing poof.

For the teachers at daycare the kids aren't with on a regular basis: Candy cane with a christmas jelly candy in a stocking.

If I can figure out baking, I will take a tray of cookies over for the daycare teachers to enjoy.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Had to share this here..Yesterday we were painting ornaments and Shawn decided to paint one for his teacher's birthday, which is today. It's pink and glittery(that's my boy ) And he made a card himself to give to her.
    The class is giving her flowers, the room mom got a bouquet of flowers and each child is going to hand her one and give her a birthday wish and tell her something that they like about her <awwwwwwww>

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast