•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tell us about Pennsylvania

The state of Pennsylvania is nicknamed The Keystone State. Population is about 12.3 million people. Pennsylvania ranks 6th in population and 32nd in land area. The capital of Pennsylvania is Harrisburg. The largest city is Philadelphia. The distance between Disneyland and Philadelphia is about 2700 miles.

Are you a resident of the state of Pennsylvania? Have you ever visited this state? Do you have family in Pennsylvania. Share your experiences and memories of this state.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Tell us about Pennsylvania

I attended Califronia University of Pennsylvania for two years. PA is one of my favorite states. My roommate and I once spent 10 hours in the Pittsburgh airport! Thank God they had an arcade!! Pittsburgh's an awesome city! PA is a pretty state.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For old time sake

NO I DON"T WANT TO!!!!!!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Since I'm in DE, I am more familar with the Eastern half of PA and Philly in particular.

There is good food to be found in Philly. I haven't been in awhile, but we'll probably go back up soon. I love visiting the Franklin Institute, Art Musuem, and Zoo...the nation's first.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

And I totally forgot... Fallingwater's in PA!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• The one on the left.

Ah Pennsylvania, a state close to my heart, stomach, brain and several other organs and various appendages.

Living in the Philadelphia suburbs, Springfield, Delaware County to be precise I am more familiar with the Eastern half of the state as well. As MandaBella pointed out Philly has the Franklin Institute Science Museum, The Philadelphia Art Museum as anyone who has seen the movie Rocky knows, the zoo, the first lending library. Of course there is Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Betsy Ross house, Franklin Court which is built on the site of Ben Franklin's house.

Continuing through the state we find Tastykake Bakery in Philadelphia, Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, the oldest brewery in the U.S., Sturgis Pretzel house in Lititz, the oldest pretzel bakery in the U.S., Zippo Lighters in Bradford, Rolling Rock Brewery in Latrobe, Hershey Chocolates in Hershey and Boyer Candies the maker of the Mallo Cup, in Altoona just to name a few.

Do you like trains? Philadelphia, was the home of the Baldwin Locomotive Works. It was also the end terminus for the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Reading Railroad. The Reading terminal still stands as part of the Pennsylvania Convention Center and the Reading Terminal Market is still in operation. A great place to shop for fresh foods as well a grabbing a bite in several restaurants.
    Amtrak trains now use the 30th Street Station of the Pennsylvania Railroad. For an idea of what is looks like rent the movie Witness with Harrison Ford.

In Altoona at the site of the PRR shops sits the Pennsylvania Railroaders Museum. This museum will give you a good idea of what is was like to work for the railroad. When you are done here don't forget to visit the Horseshoe Curve, an engineering marvel that allowed trains to cross the Allegheny Mountains without having to tunnel through.

Of course there is also the Allegheny Portage Railroad that was built to move Canal boats and their freight across the mountains to link up canals.

If you like riding on steam trains you can visit the Strasburg Railroad in Strasburg or SteamTown National Historic Site in Scranton.

If your interest leans towards amusement parks PA has you covered there.
    For the kiddies especially is Sesame Place in Langhorne, Dutch Wonderland in the heart of PA Dutch country in Lancaster and Idlewild Park in Ligonier which has a lifesize version of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood of Make Believe. You ride on a giant version of Trolley and meet all of the characters from King Friday the 13th and Queen Sara to Lady Elaine Fairchild, X the Owl, Henrietta *****cat and Daniel Tiger. Everybody is represented and talks to you. Yes I have ridden it.

For all ages, we have Hershey Park and Dorney Park as far as larger parks are concerned. Just as an aside Dorney Park played a part in the John Waters movie Hairspray. This is where the dance contest is held at the end of the movie.

For history buffs there is Lakemont Park in Altoona which has the world's oldest roller coaster the Leap the Dips and Kennywood park in West Mifflin near Pittsburgh which is a National Historic Landmark, not to mention just a fun park to visit.

You can visit other states without crossing a border as there is California, Indiana and Jersey Shore in PA.

As NeverNeverland pointed out there is Fallingwater, a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the owner of Kaufman's Department stores and now owned by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. It was built so that it cantilevered out over a stream. Well worth a visit but note that you need to call for tour reservations in advance.
    For History buffs, there is Fort Bedford and Fort Ligonier both built by the British during the French and Indian War nearby.

Boy, typing all of this has made me hungry. How about a look at several PA foods.
    For Breakfast there is always Scrapple, a delicious sausage made from pork scraps and cornmeal that is pressed into a loaf shape and is usually served fried. Perhaps you want something portable like the Philadelphia soft pretzel, nothing else quite like it. Philadelphia is also the birthplace of pepper pot soup, a spicy little number containing potatoes, carrots, onion, tripe and lots of black pepper. We can't leave Philly without a cheesesteak of course.
    Perhaps something sweet, the PA Dutch provide for us that delicacy known as Shoo Fly Pie. Available in either wet or dry bottom version it is the use of molasses that adds that unique taste. On the other side of the state of course is the famous (?) Primanti Brothers restauarant. Known for the Primanti Brothers Sandwich, a concoction that combines meat, slaw and fries all between two slices of bread.

Of course I forgot one of my favorite things in PA. Me.

There is lots more that can be written about Pennsylvania but for now I am out of time. If I left out something you really like about PA go I apologize.

Carry on.
    Ooo, heaven is a place on earth.

Mmm....butterscotch tastykakes rule. Thanks for that reminder. I think I shall go to WaWa and get some tonight.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• most magical vaca ever

PA is to the west of me.... Have gone to many different places in PA...

Hershey Park.... Dorney Park and Wild Water Kingdom.... The Poconos.... Philly (Franklin Mills).... Sesame Place.... Lancaster (Amish Town).... Stroudsberg PA, Devon PA, The Crayola Factory in Easton oh the list could go on and on....

The NY GIANTS are in Philly getting ready to play the Eagles this weekend. GO GIANTS

and the Pittsburg Steelers are playing the Chicago Bears this weekend. GO BEARS
    ~~~~~~

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Oh, every other year my family would go to a convention in Hershey. It was off season, so the park would be closed, but we'd always tour the factory. Mmm, I loved it. And there was a little restaurant right outside the convention center (tea kettle? griddle?) trhat served the BEST pancakes! I think we'd go to IHOP as well when we were there? Mmmm.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain