View Poll Results: Do you know anyone who fought in World War 2?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

This day, December 9, 1941 we go into World War 2

this day, we go into World War II and we show the Axis powers exactly what the Americans are all about! We did it the American way!

• My cuties!

Re: This day, December 9, 1941 we go into World War 2

My great aunt was one of the few women allowed to serve; she retired a major in the army. She turned 92 this summer.

• Huh?

Two of my grandfathers served... had some uncles and cousins or somethings that had served, too.

A lot of them are dead now, though. I'm not even sure who's still alive.

The pic of my Grandmother and Grandfather in his army uniform is one of my favorite pictures of them. He may not have been a good man at all (in fact, just about nobody showed up to his funeral -- yes, I chose to go to school over the funeral), but they looked like a classic Hollywood couple in that photo... expecially my grandmother. May not have had the money, but you'd never know by the classiness that's seen in the photo.
    -Tim

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

My grandpa served in WWII. He was a leuitenant in the Army. He was captured and was a POW for about 15 months.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Bear Country Refugee

My father was in the Navy during WWII.

That being said, it strikes me that no war - no matter how noble its purpose - should be celebrated. Remembered, yes; its veterens and fallen dead honored, yes; but war, itself, is nothing to be celebrated. War is an evil thing; necessary as it may be at times.
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwbear

That being said, it strikes me that no war - no matter how noble its purpose - should be celebrated. Remembered, yes; its veterens and fallen dead honored, yes; but war, itself, is nothing to be celebrated. War is an evil thing; necessary as it may be at times.
    You hit the nail with that one 100%. I understand that people love to join th earmy and I honor them for that, but I have to say something about the one sided army commercials. I hate how they make it seem so glamourous when they talk about all the educational opportunities, but they never seem to mention the fact that you will probably also be deployed off to war. I mean, they don't give away a free education. That is why I never fall for any of that commercial stuff. It is very apparent that they use the "Offers a good education" excuse to lure people in. Then after that is when some people realize how hard it really is to be in the army. Does anyone else feel the same way? But all in all, I honor every single man and women who serve in our military, navy, etc. and our allies who help us. Bravo to them

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbear

This reminds me of something my grandpa wrote. I already posted in another thread, but it greatly applies to what you said.

My grandpa was a true war hero. He served in WWII and the Korean War a military career spanning 20 years. He had many awards, accolades and was a POW. This is a snippet of a letter he once wrote-

We ourselves had suffered tragic reverses, as at Pearl Harbor and in the Philippines. Amid this gloomy atmosphere we had to adjust to the military's brusque way of doing things, to the forfeiture of our individuality, and to reacting, moving, eating, and living only in concert with masses of others. But worst of all was being away from home and loved ones. It is amazing how much brighter and happier our previous experiences suddenly appear when faced with a future beclouded with apprehension and fear.
    I had long found war to be generally unglamorous and inglorious.

Last edited by TinkPink; 12-09-2005 at 09:09 PM.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson