•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tell us about Rhode Island

The state of Rhode Island is nicknamed The Ocean State. Population is about 1 million people. This state ranks 43rd in population. Rhode Island is the smallest state in the union. Providence is the largest city, and the capital of Rhode Island. The distance between Disneyland and Providence is about 3,000 miles. That's a guess, since it is not on my chart.

Rhode Island, do you call this state home? Have you ever visited there? Are your family members from this state? Tell us about Rhode Island.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Tell us about Rhode Island

I stayed for 5 days at my elem. school best friend's grandma's house in RI (with the friend and her fam of course!!). Those were some of the best days of my life!

Her house was huge, on lots of land. Every day we'd go down to the lake across the street, swim and float on tubes... we'd pick berries and helped her make pies and listened to her stories... It was wonderful. I liked RI!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• WARNING!

I call Rhode Island home. I lived here for five years now and like it a lot.
    Here are some RI facts...

As stated above, RI is the smallest state. It is 48 miles north to south and only 37 miles east to west, (you could traverse the state before you finish a cup of coffee).

The highest point in RI is Jerimoth Hill @ 812 feet, (I think the landfill in the town of Johnston is higher... but it's man-made and is comprised of garbage).

RI is the last of the original 13 colonies to become a state.

RI's official state name is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. The state bird is the Rhode Island Red chicken. The state seashell is the Quahog. The state tree is the Red Maple. The state motto is "Hope".

RI was the first to take military action against England by sinking "The Gaspee", one of her ships in Narragansett Bay (outside Newport).

The United States Industrial Revolution era began in Pawtucket RI when Samuel Slater constructed America's first water-powered cotton mill on the Blackstone river.

The gravesite of the first girl born to the colonists in New England is in RI.

The White Horse Tavern was built in 1673. It is the oldest operating tavern in the US.

The oldest schoolhouse in the US is in RI... It was built in 1716.

The Town of Bristol's 4th of July parade is the longest running... It started in 1785.

The Quonset hut was envented at Quonset Point Naval Base in RI.

Providence is the home of Brown University and Providence College.

Newport is home to the Tennis Hall of Fame.

St Mary's Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish founded in 1828. The chiurch is best known as the site of the wedding of Jacqueline Bouvier to John Fitgerald Kennedy in 1953.

I think that's more than you ever cared to know about Rhode Island... By the way, Rhode Island is not an Island at all even though Jamestown Island and Block Island are part of the state.

• Huh?

Eh, the only things I know about Rhode Island come from Family Guy...
    -Tim

• WARNING!

I'd say that's a pretty good source

Great history lesson, we never learned that stuff in school

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

And that is one thing I miss about being west now instead of east... all that history! Love it, thank you!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• WARNING!

Since you guys seem to be enjoying the history lesson... here are some more RI facts to awe and amaze your friends...

The first British troops sent from England to squash the revolution landed in Newport RI.

Nine men's Misery monument in Cumberland RI is the oldest known monument to veterans in the US. It was erected in memory of colonists killed during the King Phillips War in 1676.

Pawtuxet Village in Warwick RI lays claim to being New England's oldest village.

The Touro Synagogue is the oldest synagogue in North America. Built in 1763, it houses the oldest torah in North America.

The first Baptist Church in America was founded in 1638. The structure built in 1775 still exists... Notice several church-related firsts in RI?... It's because the founder of Rhide Island, (Roger Williams) came here to escape religious persecution from Plymouth Massachusetts... Interesting eh?...

RI never ratified the 18th Amendment on prohibition.

On a sad note... The Station Nightclub fire (which killed 100 people) happend in Warwick, RI in February, 2003. The rock band that played that evening was "Great White".

RI is the home of Electric Boat in North Kingstown... They make submarines for the navy.

RI is the home of Amica Insurace, Cross Pens, (both located in my town of Lincoln), CVS Pharmacy, and Hasbro Toys.

George M. Cohan was born in Providence in 1878.

We should be careful when stating facts about history. Some of these are not quite true. We have left out the Boston Massacre of 1770 and other incidents that happened prior to the Gaspee. Rhode Island was one of the more promient colonies in fighting and instigating the war.

• WARNING!

I'm pretty sure that Boston Massacre, the Tea Party and other incidents were just that "incidents". The burning of the Gaspee was the first planned use of force in all of the American colonies and the first deliberate shooting of an English military man.

I didn't say it started the war, it was just the first deliberate military attack by the Americans against the British... It's true-

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuy
    I'm pretty sure that Boston Massacre, the Tea Party and other incidents were just that "incidents". The burning of the Gaspee was the first planned use of force in all of the American colonies and the first deliberate shooting of an English military man.

I didn't say it started the war, it was just the first deliberate military attack by the Americans against the British... It's true-
    Having grown up on the East Coast (Connecticut) and being a history junkie, I know that the New England states will fight over what started the war,and what is seen as military action. I am not here to start another war. I love Rhode Island. Spent many a Saturday on the back of a motorcyle with my Dad to have lunch somewhere there and hopefully an ice cream.

• WARNING!

Totally agree...
    When it comes to the American Revolution, there were many incidents happening up and down the colonies that wove themselves into action. The Gaspee was one such action (among many others). After moving here from the midwest, I found the history of this part of the country amazing. The info I spouted was taken from 50states.com and may be slightly erroneous.
    BTW... A good place to get away for lunch when passing thru is Iggies Clam Shack in Narragansett for some really terriffic doughboys a chowda, then ride down to Point Judith, sit by the light house and watch the ocean... It's the best way to blow-off an afternoon