Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

I need info on getting an african girl to the USA

my kids and I have suported an african woman and her 3 children for a few years now and she is having a real hard time. I want to bring her 11 year old to the USA to live with us and go to school, but I do not know the first thing about how to do this. If any of you have any info and help please tell me. They are living in shear poverty and I want to be able to help this little girl and raise her so she can go back and help her mom in time. or get her the education so she can go to work here and send money home to her family. It breaks my heart to see and hear how bad things are for them. But I am only one person and single my self. Bringing her here would be a blessing as she can go to school with my children and have her own room and her own things.
    Any ways any info on how to bring an african child here to the USA would help me so much. thanks

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Re: I need info on getting an african girl to the USA

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    my kids and I have suported an african woman and her 3 children for a few years now and she is having a real hard time. I want to bring her 11 year old to the USA to live with us and go to school, but I do not know the first thing about how to do this. If any of you have any info and help please tell me. They are living in shear poverty and I want to be able to help this little girl and raise her so she can go back and help her mom in time. or get her the education so she can go to work here and send money home to her family. It breaks my heart to see and hear how bad things are for them. But I am only one person and single my self. Bringing her here would be a blessing as she can go to school with my children and have her own room and her own things.
    Any ways any info on how to bring an african child here to the USA would help me so much. thanks
    Wow!! You are my new best friend! You are an incredible soul for doing this! I wish I can help you, but I just wanted to let you know how wonderful you are

• Senior Minion

HM, You have a huge heart! Honestly, I do not know how you could go about it. Is there any way through the agency that you donate to, do they have info on an exchange or adoption maybe available?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• love my friends

WOW Karla you never told me about this before.. GOOD for you in trying to do this though.. Maybe try talking to an adoption agency, (not sure if they could help) or some government agency.. (INS) maybe I am not sure if that would help but it might be a start

Friends for life

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    Hmm. I would try sending an email to Oprah and let her know that you want to do this. She spends a lot of time in Africa helping young girls and building schools for them. She might also have information on what agency you can contact to bring her to America. Good luck!! http://www.oprah.com/email/email_landing.jhtml

• Minion

Karla, you are a truly good hearted human being to even think about doing such a wonderful thing for this girl!

Far as getting her here, I don't really know for sure how you could go about doing this. I guess I would check with the INS, like Kelly mentions and/or Oprah, like Nessarose mentions. Or, maybe you could contact your local news stations? Depending on how much news happens where you live, they might be interested in doing a human interest story about you and this girl. Some local exposure could lead to national exposure...

Another thought for you: If you can't bring the girl here, could you send more money or food to them? I have to imagine it'd be quite costly to fly someone over here. If you're supporting them through a charity of some kind, could you perhaps donate whatever money you'd spend on transporting and raising an 11 year old to that charity?

• Banned User

ok, I will tell you the story.
    when my Rachal was 7 she said she was sad that so many kids were suffering in Africa.I asked her, what shall we do ? She said, can we send money to some there? I said I am not sure, I had heard money goes to the organizations but does it really reach who we want it to? and who do we want it to reach since there is so much pain out there?
    my pastor had a friend in africa who was a missionary and we emailed her and asked her if she knew a family who needed help and she told us about Mary and her 3 children. Mary worked for the mossionary cooking for the group. She was not married but was living with a man many years and had 3 children from him.( he also had another wife and more kids) he died from complications to diebetes. She was left to care for her 3 kids so we took on this family. we sent money for them to pay the landlord rent for a year ( $200.00 a year for 1 room and a chamber pot) we sent money for electricity, and to have a refridgerator to be fixed. we sent a lot of packages to her, with lots of meds, asprin, bug sprays, bandages, womens things, deoderants etc. the boxes were heavy and the cost well it was horrible. so this was not going to do so we sent money, but the problem was 2 out of 3 times the money was stolen. the postal workers are bad crooks and steal the mail when they think money is in it. so I began sending thru the bank as a wire. well, now any amount to ghana costs 50.00 so if I sent 50.00 it cost me an exra 50 dollars way to much just to wire!!! I have found it hard to send money to them when I am never sure it will reach her, and often she is sad
    the cost for decent schools for her kids she can not afford ( yes schools cost in ghana!!! and they are required to wear uniforms. it has been tough, I will be sending her more money in 2 weeks, but to me, with her working and trying to suport 2 big boys who are soon to be men and an 11 year old I asked her if she could let me send for the child and I would care for her and she could go to school here and when she got older I would send her back, or wait until I could get enought to send for her to. Mary has a brother coming to the usa, he is waiting for an invitation to open up ( from a minister) and so I told her I would look into seeing how to go about sending for a child to come here. she would love it here, she could have her own room and go to school with my children. I will show you all a pic of her tomorrow, they are at my moms so I will post one tomorrow. Any ways I am not doing this because I am wondeful but because I see how hard it is for her, and if I was in the situation would I send my daughter to america to have a chance ? yep, I think I would. Any ways this is our story.
    I am sure the cost of the flight would be a lot, but I could swing it if I did not go to disneyland next year, and if the mom agree's I will need to find out so much more. thank you all for your wonderful words, I am sure you would all do the same to!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    WOW Karla you never told me about this before.. GOOD for you in trying to do this though.. Maybe try talking to an adoption agency, (not sure if they could help) or some government agency.. (INS) maybe I am not sure if that would help but it might be a start
    Kelly how did you get to stay here? what was the stpes you took to come into the USA ?

If you want to do it by the book, I would consult a lawyer. There are attorneys that specialize in these types of situations. It will probably take a lot of time though.

I just had a thought...does her school participate in a foreign exchange program?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow Karla, everyday you amaze me with something new. You are such a wonderful person. I love you sis, you really are a beautiful soul. *HUGS*

• Huh?

INS and immigration lawyers are pretty much the way to go... I know two of the easiest ways of getting people here are either through a fiancée visa or refugee status, but both of these are pretty much out of the question in this case.

Either way, don't expect it to take a short time to get her here. In fact, with the shortest time to get her here, she might not be here until she's 12 or 13 (maybe older). The USA is a rather difficult country for people to get into -- some countries even harder than others. My sister was lucky that she could get my brother-in-law over here in only 6 months, but that was with a fiancée visa from Egypt.
    -Tim

• Sock Puppet

While this a very generous gesture, it's quite complicated to achieve. There are numerous laws, policies and procedures in place to prevent human trafficking which, unfortunately, you may come up against. I expect the length of stay for the little girl would determine how complicated the process would be.

As for contacting Oprah, it's a nice idea, but I wouldn't bother. You might as well try contacting the Queen of England. Yes, Oprah is involved in helping people in Africa, but her organizations are not set up to deal with individual cases through individuals in the US.

Lawyers are probably the best way to go. However, be prepared to pay lots of money and hear a lot of bad news. I would also suggest you contact Compassion International, or a similar organization, to get an idea if such a thing is actually doable. They also might be able to help you help the family by ensuring your donations reach the intended recipients.

The situation you describe is all too common in our world. (Many of my friends do missionary work in Africa. One of them is in the process of moving to Zambia permanently to teach local women how to earn a living.) While it would seem easy to help people overseas because we Americans have so much to give, there are just so many obstacles; logistics, corruption and remote locations primarily. Obviously, one could see how bringing a child to the US would make things a lot easier. I don't think that's easy, either.

Did the missionary you were working with leave Ghana? Did someone take her place? Perhaps you could work with whatever organization was sponsoring the missionary.
    Last edited by Little Buck; 12-11-2005 at 08:39 AM.

• Banned User

Thank you all so much for the info, the missionary did leave ghana, she is back in the USA after being in ghana for more then 5 years. I have spoken with her about finding other missionarys to help but as she pointed out they them selves are helping those they come across as well. I will continue to suport Mary and to keep my prayers up for them. I can only do so much and feel if They were to come here a door could and would open. I wil just continue to send small amouts of cash ( 40.00 at a time) since it has been stolen before and sending to much at one time is a liability. You have all been a big help, I did contact a lawyer and yes very it sounds very difficult.

• WARNING!

Karla, you are incredible, (and I thought incredible people could only be animated). Good luck and God bless-

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

From the title, it looked like it was one of those mail-away brides storys.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast