Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Aid question

So, I'll just get the embarrassing part over with.....early this morning I was getting up to get a drink of water. As I am leaving for Disneyland on Friday night, I'd left my suitcase along the wall sort of near my bed. I ended up tripping on it in the dark and the wall broke my fall. In the form of eight stitches. Yes, lame, I know!

My question is: my stitches are supposed to come out on Saturday morning, which is our first day at the park. As we will not have a rental car (our hotel is right across the street), the doctor who put in my stitches suggested I see if the registered nurse at the First Aid station in Disneyland could remove them for me. Is this at ALL a possibility? They are basic stitches and just need to be cut out and removed that morning. I would do it myself, but I've never had stitches before and I'd rather have a professional do it.

I tried to find a number to call the park and ask this random question, but I can't seem to get a number into the park with someone who could answer this. Does anyone have a direct number to a person that could help me?

I just don't want to have to start my first day at Disneyland by having to find a hospital that will remove my stitches (which, according to the map the ER doctor gave me - he was amazing - is 5 miles away. And we are car-less).

This may be a long shot, but I thought it was worth a try to ask all you experts Thanks in advance for your help!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: First Aid question

Call the concierge desk at the Grand Californian Hotel...... they know everything.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Hooterville, USA

714 781-4000

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think they'll do it but they may have a number of a clinic that you can call to get this done.

Or probably better would be to contact the UC Irvine Medical center and see if they have options for you. Their number is 714-456-7890. Their website is Home | UC Irvine Healthcare | University of California, Irvine

I think this would be the closest hospital to the resort. I don't advise using the emergency room as that puts too much of a burden on actual trauma cases. But perhaps they can advise you of a doctor or clinic close by.

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

theres a hospital hidden on ball road about 2 blocks from disneyland

You know you can do it yourself. You don't need a trained professional to do it for you. Just need some scissors and tweezers to cut the knot and pull the stitch.

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    You know you can do it yourself. You don't need a trained professional to do it for you. Just need some scissors and tweezers to cut the knot and pull the stitch.
    it may sound simple but some people would screw that up and need even more stitches

Removing stiches IS simple. But you are right: Some people would screw that up. If noone at Disneyland will do it, and you are halfway intelligent, I say go for it! Just use a small,very sharp pair is scissors, a good pair of tweezers with a pointed tip, and go slow, no sudden movemets.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by count_justin View Post
    theres a hospital hidden on ball road about 2 blocks from disneyland
    I forgot about that. That's Western Medical Center Anaheim. That's ok too. Keep in mind that blocks in Anaheim are huge. So it's still not as close as it sounds.

And just keep in mind if you could take the stitches out yourself your doctor would have said so. I would try to find a medical professional first.

Not making the nurses at Disneyland look bad, but this is more of a job for a hospital. Disneyland's medical staff are more for heat stroke, bumps, bruises, scrapes and headaches. The hospital (or a drs. office) are more accustomed to handling situations like this.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

i agree with the twins

•   
    • Minion

Three suggestions:

a. Can't your doctor at home just take out the stitches before you leave? One day shouldn't make that much of a difference.

b. The airport you leave from, or the one you arrive at, might have a clinic on-site, and they should be able to remove stitches. There are some first aid stations at LAX, and the OC airport might have one too.
    First Aid at Los Angeles International Airport, LAX

c. There are a lot of little urgent care walk in clinics around Anaheim and they'd be able to take out stitches in about two seconds. I empathize with being car-less at Disney, but taking a taxi or the OCTA bus to one of these places might be less expensive in the long run than trying to take out stitches on your own.

Anaheim Urgent Care

There's a Minute Clinic at the CVS on Katella Ave. in Orange.

Minute Clinic 1535 East Katella Avenue, Orange, CA 92867-5025 (714) 639-6060 ‎
    Last edited by Malina; 11-02-2011 at 01:45 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Hell, I'd leave em' in for a couple of extra days and not worry about it. That's just me though.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Hell, I'd leave em' in for a couple of extra days and not worry about it. That's just me though.
    I agree. And if you trip over your suitcase while out here, you're all ready stitched!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I would go to Urgent Care. They do have registered nurses but the liabilty they will not be responsible for..
    Anaheim Urgent Care
    2146 East Lincoln Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92806
    714-533-CARE(2273)
    Weekdays, 8 a.m. 8 p.m., and weekends, 10 a.m. 6 p.m[/FONT]

Stitches are not hard to take out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast