Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Barbaraann's Christmas Tree Survey

My curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I thought it might be fun to survey MiceChatters about their Christmas trees.

I thank you in advance for sharing your Christmas tree facts and feelings.

1. Do you prefer an artificial or a real tree?

2. Do you use clear or colored lights?

3. Describe your tree topper.

4. Does your tree wear a skirt?

5. Do you put candy canes on your tree?

6. Have you ever strung popcorn or cranberries, and put them on your tree?

7. How tall is your tree?

8. Where, in your house is your tree usually placed?

9. Is it in front of a window?

10. Does your tree have a theme?

11. What is the oldest ornament on your tree?

12. Do you use the same ornaments each year, or buy new ones each year?

13. What is underneath your tree besides presents?

14. When do the presents go under your tree?

15. When do you usually put up your tree?

16. When do you usually take down your tree?

17. If you have pets, have you ever had a Christmas tree disaster?

18. Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree?

19. What is the most you have ever paid for a real Christmas tree?

20. Do you love your Christmas tree?

21. Have you ever put up more than one tree?

22. Have you ever done the "tinsel" thing?

23. Does your tree have garland? Describe.

24. Describe your "perfect" Christmas tree.

25. Do you normally take a photo of your tree, if so, it would be nice to see one.

Re: Barbaraann's Christmas Tree Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I thought it might be fun to survey MiceChatters about their Christmas trees.

1. Do you prefer an artificial or a real tree? Real

2. Do you use clear or colored lights? Colored

3. Describe your tree topper. Lighted Star

4. Does your tree wear a skirt? Yes, Red with white snowflakes

5. Do you put candy canes on your tree? Yes

6. Have you ever strung popcorn or cranberries, and put them on your tree? A few times but not normally anymore

7. How tall is your tree? 6-8 ft

8. Where, in your house is your tree usually placed? Corner of living room

9. Is it in front of a window? No

10. Does your tree have a theme? Eclectic. We collect ornaments when we travel as our souvenirs, so decorating it is a walk down memory lane (lots of disney).

11. What is the oldest ornament on your tree? Handmade snowman and woman. My friends great grandmother gave them to me when I was 12 or so, 30+ years old.

12. Do you use the same ornaments each year, or buy new ones each year? Both (see #10)

13. What is underneath your tree besides presents? Nothing

14. When do the presents go under your tree? A day or two before Christmas to keep the kids, dogs from doing too much damage

15. When do you usually put up your tree? 1st week or 2 of Dec (maybe tomorrow...)

16. When do you usually take down your tree? Around New Years

17. If you have pets, have you ever had a Christmas tree disaster? Luckily No

18. Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree? Yes, most years, not this year

19. What is the most you have ever paid for a real Christmas tree? approx $75

20. Do you love your Christmas tree? Yes

21. Have you ever put up more than one tree? No, would if I had more space

22. Have you ever done the "tinsel" thing? When we were kids but not as an adult

23. Does your tree have garland? Describe. Strands of wooden beads.

24. Describe your "perfect" Christmas tree. If I had the space I would have a separate tree just for our disney ornaments that we have collected over the years.

25. Do you normally take a photo of your tree, if so, it would be nice to see one. Usually yes, don't have it up yet
    This was fun

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

1. Do you prefer an artificial or a real tree? I have an artificial tree, but I would love to have a real one.

2. Do you use clear or colored lights? Presently, I have clear lights on my tree, but I really do prefer colored lights.

3. Describe your tree topper. I have a Santa on my tree this year. Normally, I do prefer a star.

4. Does your tree wear a skirt? I do have a skirt around the bottom of my tree this year.

5. Do you put candy canes on your tree? Peppermint candy canes can normally be found on my tree each and every year.

6. Have you ever strung popcorn or cranberries, and put them on your tree? I have never strung popcorn. I'd love to do this, if I had a bigger tree.

7. How tall is your tree? My tree is about 6 feet tall this year.

8. Where, in your house is your tree usually placed? In the corner of my living room.

9. Is it in front of a window? No, not this year.

10. Does your tree have a theme? My tree has a Santa Claus theme. The majority of the ornaments are Santa ones.

11. What is the oldest ornament on your tree? I have a few ornaments from my mom that were on our trees when I was a child. A Santa, a pear, and an elf.

12. Do you use the same ornaments each year, or buy new ones each year? The ornaments on this year's tree have been used for many years now. I'd love to buy some new Santa ornaments for next year.

13. What is underneath your tree besides presents? At the moment, nothing.

14. When do the presents go under your tree? Not until Christmas Eve.

15. When do you usually put up your tree? The first week of December. About the time of my husband's birthday, which is the 3rd of December.

16. When do you usually take down your tree? I try and have it down by New Year's Day.

17. If you have pets, have you ever had a Christmas tree disaster? No pets. No disasters.

18. Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree?This sounds like fun, but I have never done it.

19. What is the most you have ever paid for a real Christmas tree?Eatly in my married life, I think we paid about $30 for a tree.

20. Do you love your Christmas tree? Absolutely, and my husband loves to turn on the lights, and enjoy it in the evening, when he comes home from work.

21. Have you ever put up more than one tree? A few times, I had a tree in the living room, and one in my room where I do my MiceChatting. One year, I had three trees, because I also had one in the basement.

22. Have you ever done the "tinsel" thing?We always had tinsel on our real trees as a child. Then aluminum trees became popular, and we stopped buying tinsel.

23. Does your tree have garland? Describe. I love garland, but my tall thin tree does not have garland. I have been thinking about buying some perhaps for next year.

24. Describe your "perfect" Christmas tree. If I had the room, I'd love a real tree with a star on top, and big old fashioned color lights. I'd definitely have garland on it. Not sure about the ornaments. I have to think about that one. I do love red ornaments on the tree, though. It would be cool to have a train set running around the bottom, and a nativity scene.

25. Do you normally take a photo of your tree, if so, it would be nice to see one.I do try and take a picture of my tree each and every year, and when I get a chance to do that, I'll put one here in this thread.

Here's my tree.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 12-06-2011 at 05:24 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

2. Do you use clear or colored lights? Both

3. Describe your tree topper. Star

4. Does your tree wear a skirt? Yes, a cotton one

5. Do you put candy canes on your tree? Every year

6. Have you ever strung popcorn or cranberries, and put them on your tree? No. But, that would be fun

7. How tall is your tree? 7 ft

8. Where, in your house is your tree usually placed? Family room

9. Is it in front of a window? No. It's between a clock and a door

10. Does your tree have a theme? No. It's a collection of past years to the present

11. What is the oldest ornament on your tree? 30 years

12. Do you use the same ornaments each year, or buy new ones each year? Yes, the same ornament

13. What is underneath your tree besides presents? More presents

14. When do the presents go under your tree? Periodically as they are bought.

15. When do you usually put up your tree? Beginning of December.

16. When do you usually take down your tree? A couple of days following Christmas

17. If you have pets, have you ever had a Christmas tree disaster? No

18. Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree? Yes. I did a hatchet job on it

19. What is the most you have ever paid for a real Christmas tree? $55

20. Do you love your Christmas tree? Yes, and it loves me back cuase I'm it's branch manager

21. Have you ever put up more than one tree? Yes, a big one and a tiny one for a table

22. Have you ever done the "tinsel" thing? Usually

23. Does your tree have garland? Describe. Yes

24. Describe your "perfect" Christmas tree. As long as it's bances are full, my tree rules

25. Do you normally take a photo of your tree, if so, it would be nice to see one.
    Yes, but not digital. I very much enjoyed your holiday survey. God bless everybody viewing this post. May you enjoy the Christmas season with family and friends - and make new friends! Happy New Year wishes galore to you,
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Future Cast Member

I prefer a real tree. However, I've had a faux tree for a while, I don't even remember having a real tree but my mom says we did when I was younger. This year we're getting a real tree.

Well, I'll use any Disney lights. They just have to be Disney. Last year I used some Winnie the Pooh lights, with Winnie the Pooh sitting on a snowflake covering the light. The outside shell was colored, but I believe the actual light underneath was white. I want to use those lights again, those have always been my favorite Disney lights.

I don't remember at all what my tree topper usually is, actually! We had a bunch of Disney ones but I think we lost them in the move. I don't really care all that much about the topper, though, I think the Disney details are much more important.

We have a Mickey Mouse skirt and a Looney Toons skirt. I prefer the Mickey one, of course, but I think we lost it in the move, and if we did I will be absolutely devastated at having to use a non-Disney skirt.
    Not usually. I don't find even Disney-print candy canes interesting enough to make it to the tree most years.

No.

We will be getting a seven to eight foot this year.

I'm in a new house, so I have no idea where to put it. I think it used to be in front of a window at our old house.

We might put it there.

Disney. I'm very, very controlling and particular about the tree, I feel it would be sacrilegious (against my Disney religion, which might as well exist because every aspect of my life has to be Disney-fied or it will drive me crazy) for the tree to have any non-Disney elements at all. However, my mom has hidden all my beloved Disney tree decoration boxes so I don't know if I can succeed in decorating my tree correctly this year.

I'm not sure, but I have many Disney ornaments from before I was born.

We usually buy a set of Disney ornaments each year, after Christmas when all the expensive ones go on sale. We sometimes buy them before, too, if they're nice enough. We also use our traditional ones, too. This year I'm not sure if we will buy more ornaments.

I have not gotten my tree yet, but usually it's just presents under there.

Definitely before Christmas Eve. Because I questioned the presents slowly showing up overnight with the same wrapping paper we had, my mom always told me that Santa gave her the presents to wrap since he needed help with it, so he made the presents and gave them to her to wrap, and that the presents showing up over Christmas Eve night thing was just a myth.

We usually put it up early December, but since this year we're getting a real tree we're planning on getting it this weekend.

I don't know, we had a fake tree before and we took it down whenever we felt like, and most years in our old house we just left it up all year, but I don't know about when to take down real trees so I'll have to let my mom handle that.

Nope, no disasters. I grew up always having no less than 5-7 cats, and they did love the climb the tree, but never dropped or broke anything, they just climbed up and hung off the top of it. Unfortunately, since the cats were all rescued at the same time, some of them from the same litter, 5 of the cats died of old age, one is in her 20's and living at my grandma's because we're afraid of her getting aggravated by moving her, and my cat that lives with me is still young, about 5, and she can be pretty mischievous at night, so she might try to climb the tree, but it's always cute to see. They're our family, and they love celebrating Christmas with us, too.

I don't know how my dogs will react. I don't remember my Pug ever caring about trees, and my new dog lived her whole life as a stray so she may react oddly to it.

We go to a farm to get my grandma's tree sometimes and chop it down, but now they just get it at a cheap farm that just gives it to them and takes away all the fun.

I don't know.

When I get to do it my way with all-Disney things, yes.

No, but we put up a Festivus pole every year, since that is the actual holiday we actually fully celebrate.

I used to have Mickey tinsel, not sure if I still do.

I had Mickey garland that was kind of like the tinsel, just less cheap-ish, but I'm not sure if I can find that again, either.

If it's all Disney, I'm happy, but I also like to really control other decorations on the tree, too. Ornaments have to be in perfect places for balance of color, shape, and characters, and it takes me a weekend to decorate the tree when I get to myself, and I still constantly adjust it when something looks out of place.

I don't have any past pictures of my tree but if I get to Disney-fy my tree this year I'll definitely post a picture.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think you need to ask about 17 more questions...

(I kid, I kid)

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I thought my few dozen questions was just about the right number. Thanks to those who have taken the time to respond so far.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

My preference is a real tree, but a few years ago when our daughter moved out I switched to an artificial one. I had a full size one for a while, a 6 foot one I think, but since its just me, my husband and my mother in law since daughter and her hubby are to far away I downsized again to a small 3 foot artificial. I was going retro and got a white one because it reminded me of the artificial ones I remember from the 60's... the kind that they use to shine the color changing wheel on...

Color. Even when I do outdoor lights I want color.

Right now its two penguins. Last year the one I used was one that you squeezed it and its arms opened up... but I couldn't find it at first so I put another one on. Then I found my "squeezy" one so I now have both of them. When I had the bigger tree I would use a star on the top.

Yes, and it has a penguin on it.

No, never have.

No.

The current one... about 3 feet.

Since the one I have now is basically a "table top" size, but I don't have a table to put it on, I use the recliner in the living room, put a shelf on the chair, and set it up there. When I put up the bigger tree, I would move the recliner and set the tree up in the spot where the chair was. Now I don't have to rearrange and move furniture.

No, I actually have no windows in my living room. There is a sliding door going into the back yard, and by the front door are openings that have opaque plastic stuff in them, but no actual windows.

More or less.... penguins.

The ones I have now are pretty modern and are only a few years old. When I was going the bigger artificial tree 95% of the ornaments I used were 40-50 years old.

I mostly use the same ones, but every year I try to by at least one new penguin ornament of some kind.

Since at this point of our life we don't need or really want anything... we don't have presents. We don't exchange with each other anymore. I might buy a couple of little things for my mother in law and I mail out stuff to my kids, so right now the under part of the tree just has more penguins (and a few polar bears) under it.

See above.

Generally right after Thanksgiving or soon there after. Last year the kids came down from Nor Cal for Thanksgiving so I had the tree up before.

I use to leave it up till New Years. But with two jobs and little time... since over the holidays I'm down to one job (working for the school dist. gets me holidays off) I usually pack up stuff before the 1st.

Not a major disaster but I noticed the other day that some of the stuff under the tree had been knocked over and a couple of the ornaments had fallen off. Two of the dogs get rough when they play and will sometimes bang into the chair so...

No, but we had friends that would do it for us some years when I lived in Idaho.

I think around $45.

I enjoy its presence during the holidays.

Not recently, but growing up we did sometimes. One year we had someone give us an extra tree, so my mom set up the second one outside on the porch. I also would sometimes put up a little fake tree in my bedroom when I was in high school.

Oh yes... like how it looks... hate cleaning it up after.

It has a small, purple plastic one that has beads and snowflakes.

One that would decorate and take down itself!

Last edited by penguinsoda; 12-06-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Missed one of the questions the first time around

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That Christmas tree is absolutely adorable, Jody. You really do have style.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

1. Do you prefer an artificial or a real tree? I like our artificial Martha Stewart tree. My dad likes a real one. He bought a real one this year.

2. Do you use clear or colored lights? Colored! This year I got about 5 feet up of multi colored lights and then it's bright blue on the top. Totally by accident.

3. Describe your tree topper. We had a tree topper growing up, somewhere along the like it got lost. So we put a Santa Hat on it, which is dorky... But whatever.

4. Does your tree wear a skirt? It does.

5. Do you put candy canes on your tree? I have 3 dogs and a cat. My dogs are retrievers and a crazy terrier mix so food on tree bad.

6. Have you ever strung popcorn or cranberries, and put them on your tree? I did when I was little. We don't now because Gabe, my white lab, will take down the tree trying to eat it.

7. How tall is your tree? 6 footish. It fits in the pop out bay window we have.

8. Where, in your house is your tree usually placed? See above. We have a pop out bay window in the front of the house that the tree looks perfect there.

9. Is it in front of a window? Yep. You can see our tree from the street.

10. Does your tree have a theme? No? Stuff we've collected. I have a lot of "Star Wars on Hoth" ornaments (like 5) with stars and crocheted snowflakes. But there's so much other stuff on the tree that it doesn't look like "Christmas on Hoth."

11. What is the oldest ornament on your tree? Probably 1978ish, when my folks first got married.

12. Do you use the same ornaments each year, or buy new ones each year? Same ones. I get a new one every couple years. My mom bought me the pickle 2 years ago. I got a nursing one last year.

13. What is underneath your tree besides presents? Charlie, my terrier mix, trying to mark his territory, which is gross. Hence the reason why we don't put things under the tree.

14. When do the presents go under your tree? The don't. Charlie is kinda' OCD and weird along with being a badish dog when it comes to that.

15. When do you usually put up your tree? After turkey day. But this year I've been slow on getting ornaments up.

16. When do you usually take down your tree? My mom likes to get rid of it the day after Christmas.

17. If you have pets, have you ever had a Christmas tree disaster? We try to avoid disaster by keeping the tree up when we had puppies. I do have a non-pet tree disaster. I had a lumpectomy when I was 16 and was on pain killers right after (along with an Iron supplement because they found out I was extremely anemic). I had my lumpectomy right around X-mas time. So it was my job growing up (self imposed job mind you) to put up the 9 foot fake X-mas tree, the day after my surgery. Just had my surgery on the chest, Mom let me put up the tree. She comes back the tree is up, and she's like "Kim did you wear a red t-shirt at the start of this?" I plainly say no. I had pulled out all my stitches and my shirt was red from blood. Yeah. Fun times!

18. Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree? My dad did once at a "You Chop" thing. It didn't work well.

19. What is the most you have ever paid for a real Christmas tree? I have no idea. When I lived on my own I paid for a little rosemary bush shaped like a tree that was $20.

20. Do you love your Christmas tree? I like my little Martha Stewart one more.

21. Have you ever put up more than one tree? We put one up in our guest room for my uncle.

22. Have you ever done the "tinsel" thing? Yep. It's a mess.

23. Does your tree have garland? Describe. We have some foily type thing. But I don't like it. It's red. It's very sparkly.

24. Describe your "perfect" Christmas tree. I like things simple and homey. So as long as a tree isn't over done...Like right now my tree just has lights (because I need my dad to go up to the attic and get the big box marked ornaments.) and I like that a lot.

25. Do you normally take a photo of your tree, if so, it would be nice to see one. I barely got it up...
    Posted in the quote.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I thought my few dozen questions was just about the right number. Thanks to those who have taken the time to respond so far.
    When it comes to decorating our Christmas tree, I'm the branch manager....but you're the most creative decorator that I have ever seen, Barbaraanne!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-09-2011 at 12:17 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    When it comes to decorating our Christmas tree, I'm the branch manager....but your the most creative decorator that I have ever seen, Barbaraanne!
    Thanks R.W.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Artificial. Just easier than spending money on a real tree every year.

White lights on my tree. Makes the ornaments show up better.

Silver, sparkly snowflake.

Right now I'm using a towel as a tree skirt until I can get a proper one.

No

No

About 4 feet tall.

In the living room by the patio door.

No. I need to use the patio door to go out to do laundry, so I can't block it.

Blue & silver.

The tree has all new ornaments.

This a new tree (never had one before in this apartment as I don't trust my cats, but they've stayed away from it so far), so this is the first time any ornaments have been on it and it will stay the same way every year (I'll just cover it with a sheet and put it in the spare room after Christmas).

Nothing right now. Haven't wrapped anything yet.

Whenever they get wrapped... until the cats get into them, then presents are locked away where the cats can't get them.

After Thanksgiving.

After New Year's

Not yet.

No

Never had a real Christmas tree. Even growing up we had an artificial tree.

I like it well enough. It's cute and suits its purpose.

No

No

No

The Duffy themed tree at Tokyo DisneySea.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Very pretty tree in the post above.

I love reading about people's Christmas trees, and I appreciate those of you who have responded so far to this thread.

Blue is my favorite color. My husband prefers that our tree have a traditional look, otherwise I might be tempted to do a tree with a blue theme. Blue goes very well with a white tree, and snowflakes are a perfect companion. I'm just hooked on Santas, but I do have a lot of snowmen around my house in other decorations. I think it might be fun to do a snowman tree.

2. Do you use clear or colored lights? Colored

3. Describe your tree topper. It's a blue star.

4. Does your tree wear a skirt? Yes, and lipstick too. Kidding.

5. Do you put candy canes on your tree? No. I would eat them all by Christmas!

6. Have you ever strung popcorn or cranberries, and put them on your tree? Yes, when I was a kid.

7. How tall is your tree? 5 feet.

8. Where, in your house is your tree usually placed? In the living room by the front window.

9. Is it in front of a window? Yes.

10. Does your tree have a theme? Every ornament has meaning. Each of us have an ornament collection going plus there's a number of handmade ornaments made by my kids. Those are the ones I treasure the most.

11. What is the oldest ornament on your tree? My husband's collection started when he was a kid.

12. Do you use the same ornaments each year, or buy new ones each year? We add to our collections each year.

13. What is underneath your tree besides presents? The floor.

14. When do the presents go under your tree? Usually not until Christmas Eve but this year I'm putting them under as they arrive. The kids are old enough not to rip into them upon sight.

15. When do you usually put up your tree? Middle of December

16. When do you usually take down your tree? New Year's day.

17. If you have pets, have you ever had a Christmas tree disaster? I had a cat climb the tree once but no major damage was done.

18. Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree? Yes. It was just ok.

19. What is the most you have ever paid for a real Christmas tree? $80?

20. Do you love your Christmas tree? I like it well enough. Love? I don't think so.

21. Have you ever put up more than one tree? I have a little one foot artificial tree but I don't think that counts.

22. Have you ever done the "tinsel" thing? As a kid. What a pain!

23. Does your tree have garland? Describe. Yes, there's some beads and white wire-edge ribbon.

24. Describe your "perfect" Christmas tree. It's the one we do every year except it would be nine feet tall.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast