Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

What does Christmas and the Holidays mean to you?

I have noticed a lot of talk , finger pointing, and general hostility this holiday season between a lot of people. I honestly find this disconcerting being that this is supposed to be the season where the better person that exists in all of us is supposed to come out. After reading a lot of these posts over the past few weeks, and dealing with people in day to day life, I found myself wondering, 'Just what does the holiday season mean to these people?' So I'm asking all of you. What does Christmas and the Holidays mean to you?

For Oogie it is supposed to be a time of happyness, and of spending time with loved ones (friends, family, g/f, etc). Not to mention that unlike the other 9 months out of the year, I have a job at the HMH. In this get-it-done yesterday world, we often don't have enough time for the people who are important to us, and the Holidays allows us a time to reconnect with them and let them know how much they mean to us.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Banned User

Re: What does Christmas and the Holidays mean to you?

well, I do not get together with family even though they live in my town 9 most of them) I do go to my parents and have christmas dinner but to me christmas is a day to celebrate Christs birth, about giving, sharing and being with my kids and enjoying church. we do this all the time, but we love the holidays because we love looking at the lights, the tree's and all that goes with the season.Christmas should be everyday right?

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I love the lights, the tree, the stockings, the cookies, the roast turkey and ham, my Disney villages, the crisp cool air, and the time when daylight becomes longer once again.

I despise the hustle and bustle and the "me first" attitude that I see so often at the shopping malls and stores, and the high theft rate during the season though.

'Tis the most wonderful time of the year, and the most ugly. I try to keep it as wonderful as possible.

I'm a pagan, so this season is the time to celebrate the darkest time of the year. To light candles, in anticipation of the light growing, to feast in anticipation of spring's bounty. To have faith that these things will come about.

I love the light displays, and this time of year is bar none the best for food. I love the holiday food and drink. I agree with Oogie that this is a time to reconnect with people you may not always talk to. I really love the mood that comes this time of year- people actually do think about those less fortunate, and often will give time, food, money, clothes - something that will actually help those people. That's the "spirit of Santa" for me.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Gay Man

I love the tree, the lights, the dark, the cold, the bundling up, the food, the time to relax and spend with family and friends and getting and giving a few special gifts and magic.

It isn't about Christ (although some of my favorite carols are), buying, shopping, crowds, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, killing yourself to get things done or not spending time to experience the magic.

• no flash photography...

for me..it's stressful, depressing, and not something I look forward to. My favorite time of the year is new years day. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and it feel so nice. I also know spring is right around the cornor and all the holiday fluff is over...

as far as religion goes. I enjoy learning about them all. I was raised "christain" with santa claus...LOL...I don't consider myself christian now, I'm not jewish, or pagan or any other. I'm just me....I don't have to be affilated with a group. I've had many, many bad experiences with christains to want to be one. I was nver baptized and my family was not church goers. I remember at 3 or 4 begging my parents not to take me to church...LOL...We only went a few times...then we stopped...now my parents watch it on TV and even donate money to the guy....it amazes me..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I can tell you somethings:

1) It does not mean fighting in public about a minor issue such as a "Holiday Tree"
    2) This is not suppost to be a war about what religion is the best in public
    3) and in is not suppost to be a time where people are running each other over with shopping carts at Wal Mart.

It is a time for celebrating, giving, and in my religious case the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

• a great movie

Smile Re: What does Christmas and the Holidays mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I love the tree, the lights, the dark, the cold, the bundling up, the food, the time to relax and spend with family and friends and getting and giving a few special gifts and magic.

It isn't about Christ (although some of my favorite carols are), buying, shopping, crowds, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, killing yourself to get things done or not spending time to experience the magic.
    If it isn`t about Christ, What is the reason for the season?????

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

For me, I think this sums it up nicely.

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, Stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?

It came without ribbons. It came without tags.
    It came without packages, boxes or bags.

And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.
    Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.

What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

---Dr. Seuss

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mama
    If it isn`t about Christ, What is the reason for the season?????
    Please do not question others beliefs in this thread. We all celebrate the holidays in our own way. Be it Yule , Christmas , Kwanzaa, or Hanukkah.. the message is the same in all of them. It doesn't matter if we are Christian, Jewish, Pagan, or whatever, we all believe that this is a time that we try to bring out the better person that is in all of us. Please respect others beliefs. Thank you.

• Man O Lantern

The holiday season...which for us starts with Halloween and lasts through New Years....is all about being together as a family.

The weekends are filled only with fun things--we try not to be doing any sort of projects or heavy cleaning or even big-time shopping. We go to a lot of movies, we go out to eat quite a bit more than usual, we play board games in front of the fireplace, we drink gallons of hot chocolate and almost every weekend, I have hot apple cider going in the crock pot. We eat big meals on the weekends, lots of desserts, it's definitely a time of indulgence for us. But we do it all together and that's the important part for me.

We've gone to the ballet, saw the Singing Christmas tree last year, we see Santa at Meier and Frank, go downtown a lot and just hang out and window shop in our scarves and mittens and hats....trying to get the Christmas shopping experience without the stress, we go to the Spaghetti Factory on the waterfront and watch the Christmas Ships go by, we drive around and look at lights, and we go to Alpenrose Dairy to see all the decorations, sip hot chocolate and visit the baby farm animals.

I do have to do quite a bit of shopping....we have three kids and are close to our sisters and brothers and parents (and we have three sets of those to buy for). But I usually get it done very early, so it's out of the way and I can just enjoy the season with the family without a ton on my mind.

I host Christmas Eve dinner....and after ten years, I have down cooking a large meal for a crowd. I don't even have to think about it...and it's not stressful at all. This year will be even easier, as it's on a Saturday, so I'll have tons of help all day. I love love love to cook really big meals like turkeys and hams and prime ribs....love that stuff! I do another big meal for just the five of us on Christmas afternoon, too.

For me, it's a season....it's not about one day. That would be A LOT of work for one day.

• The Candidate

For us, it is all about connecting with family, made even more special by the fact that we usually spend it with my Parents. They live in New York, so it is only one of the few times during the year that the kids get to be with their Grandparents.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    For us, it is all about connecting with family, made even more special by the fact that we usually spend it with my Parents. They live in New York, so it is only one of the few times during the year that the kids get to be with their Grandparents.
    I know what you mean. Most of my family lives in Southern Cali and I live in Kentucky At least I got my mom and dad around though I can't wait to see how happy my dad will be after he sees that I bought him a box of his favorite Gheridelli Chocolates for Christmas.

• WARNING!

To me and my wife it's about coming home and being with my family. It's kinda sad that I only see my brother and sisters once a year, (at Christmas time). We have a ball, eating and drinking a little too much and generally enjoying each other.
    It's worth the 14-hour drive each year to be home.

I hope all of you, (my friends), find happiness during this Christmas season-

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    Gosh, I'd love it if my parents lived somewhere cold and snowy and festive. It would be a great Christmas trip home for the holidays every year. I would definitely leave the comfort of home for that!

I spent five Christmas seasons in Alaska when I was little....I hate having Christmas with no snow...I haven't had a white Christmas since I was 8. It's just not the same! I want at least one for my kids. We've considered getting a cabin somewhere for a long Christmas weekend...but that seems like too much work. Nicer if we could just visit grandparents with a built-in white Christmas in New York state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast