Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Tell us about Washington

The state of Washington is nicknamed The Evergreen State. The population is about 6 million people. Washington ranks 15th in population and 20th in land size. The capital of Washington is Olympia and the largest city is Seattle. The distance between Seattle and Disneyland is about 1150 miles.

Do you live in this state? Have you or a family member ever visited Washington. Share your memories or facts about the state of Washington here.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Re: Tell us about Washington

I live in Washington, on the beach.

It is cold and it rains ALOT!!!

We also grwo the most apples in the world.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

When entering Washington State from the NE corner of Oregon one has to laugh at the sign that says "Welcome to Washington, the Evergreen State".
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Bear Country Refugee

Washington is that place where those strange creatures live that run around making a lot of noise about absolutely nothing, and leave big messes for people to clean up. They're called Politicians.

Oh! You mean the other Washington! My bad.
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• I hate Mondays

I live in Spokane, which is located in Eastern Washington. We have lots of mountains, forests and snow. Currently, it is about 5 degrees fahrenheit outside. Seattle likes to pretend we don't exist over here, except during an election.
    LoT

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

I used to live in Washington (about 7 years) - very near the only free-flowing stretch of the Columbia river in the U.S. It made for great water skiing (even if we did 'glow' a little after wards) (joke!)

Some GREAT wine grapes in the area - and if it wasn't warm enough to be in the river, going up the valley to tour 'a few' wineries was always a good activity with visitors.

• Substitutiary Locomotion

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy
    I live in Spokane, which is located in Eastern Washington. We have lots of mountains, forests and snow. Currently, it is about 5 degrees fahrenheit outside. Seattle likes to pretend we don't exist over here, except during an election.
    Actually, Seattle likes to pretend you don't exist during elections, too.

The reality is that King County (where Seattle is) is sufficietly populous to override the rest of the state on occasion. Some of the other policital activity in the state lately includes: the continous streams of initiatives from Tim Eyman and our last contested elevction for governor, subject of numerous recounts and fraud allegations.

I live in Everett, which is just a bit north of Seattle. Everett is home to a giant Boeing plant (largest building in the world by volume) and Naval Station Everett.

I work and attend school in Seattle (University of Washington and Seattle University.) I grew up in Redmond, home to Microsoft. Actually, my parents still live right down the street from Bill's little company. I remember when that office park went in and there were other companies there besides the mighty M. Actually, I remember when the roads back there weren't paved and it was forested land.

I haven't heard it said in a while, but sometimes the cloud cover level is defined by whether "the mountain is out" -- meaning whether Mount Rainier is visible. As in: "wow! The mountain is out today!"

It does rain a lot here in the Seattle area, but it's more about the number of rainy days and less about the actual amount of water. Those who've spent enough time here do actually know the difference between partly sunny and partly cloudy, not to mention rain, showers, mist, etc....
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage!

• LoisAlene

Washington is Beautiful. I love to hike in the Cascades and the Olympic Mountains. Both sides of the state have different beauties. The Channeled Scablands of eastern Washington were created by huge floods in the prehistoric age. There are beautiful gorges and waterfalls that seem out of place in such a dry region. The rolling hills of wheat go on for miles and miles. At night the stars are huge - and they seem so close.

Western Washington's physical beauty comes from glacial movement. The San Juan Islands and Puget Sound were gouged from the earth by ice. We get a lot of wet weather but it is usually warm here year round compared to other places on our latitude. It is grey and gloomy much of the time but the sunny bright days make up for it. It is the wet that makes such a place as the Hoh Rain Forest possible. Giant ferns and trees that were already grown when Columbus landed. You look up and are dizzied by how high they reach into the sky. It boggles the mind to thing that this state was once covered by trees so huge that one tree could fill a railroad car with lumber.

The other thing I really love about Washington is our volcanos. I have hiked on 3 of the 5 that are in this state; Rainier, Baker and St. Helens (after the blast). Mt. Adams is the furthest away from us. It may be a while before I tackle that one. The last and least known volcano is in Snohomish County, called Glacier Peak. It's beautiful and inaccessible until washed out bridges are replaced.
    There are a hundred other things to do in Washington, these are just a few of the reasons I will never live anywhere else.

Washington Native and proud of it!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Man O Lantern

My mom was born in Richland, WA, and my Hanford engineer grandfather moved his family from the Tri-Cities to Grandview when she was five. It seems he had some inside knowledge about the um, negative affects that living near a nuclear power station could have on humans and animals...so he chose to commute everyday. My genes thank him. Somehow, he lived a long long life full of unfiltered cigarettes and Hanford before dying of lung cancer at the age of 83. The guy amazed me.

Like Oregon....Washington has this vast open emptiness in the middle of the state....not very evergreen at all. But unlike Oregon, it's still quite populous....and very pretty in some of those areas. I spent several weeks every summer when I was growing up in Seattle, Renton, Kirkland, and the Yakima valley bouncing between my uncles and aunts and cousins. I used to really love Washington!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Issaquah native here! *waves* I'm actually catching a flight back up there in a few hours for the holidays. Hopefully while I'm there I'll get a bit of skiing in. Wasn't much chance for skiing last winter! Grrr!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

I've been to Spokane twice now; both times when I was a young kid and I still remember how beautiful it was many years later. One of my fondest memories was visiting Fairchild AFB. My late uncle was a Lt. Col. there and he allowed my mom and I to go inside an actual B-52 bomber that was sitting in a maintenance hangar. That was totally cool! Amazing how little space there is inside those things compared to how big they are on the outside.

Anyway, I remember Washington as being a nice place with beautiful mountains, nice people and clean, clear lakes. Some day, I'd like to get back there to visit my aunt and cousins.

• oh bugger

Redmond native here, born in Kirkland, just graduated from the U and now live in Seattle. Don't be fooled by the movie '10 things I hate about you' we don't call it U-duba-u. We say simply U-dub, you can spot an outsider pretty easily by that one.

Not to mention it does seem painfully obvious when someone isn't a local. They think the saying about Starbucks on every corner is a joke, it's not. They think it rains here 300 or so days a year, it doesn't, it's just cloudy that many days

Seattle has the highest suicide rate of any city, especially in the month of January... so watch out cause here it comes. Seattle's weather is less rainy than just grey. The 6 months of depressing cloud cover is what gets us our bad rep. Visit here in August and just enjoy the 80 degree weather, gorgeous waterfront, lakes, floating bridges, flying fish, and every ecosystem on the planet... or something like that. Yes, Washington has dessert, forest, plains, mountains, volcanoes (active at that), beaches, ocean-front, and our little known gem: Rain Forest, yes Washington is home to I believe the only 'Rain Forest' in the US. Our Olympic Peninsula is a relatively unpopulated piece of natural wonder, that and the San Juan Islands make us one of the most prestine places in the NW.

That and we have Microsoft, Starbucks and is that not Nintendo's headquarters across 520 from Microsoft? So, we are what keep the country going. Caffeinated so people are able to work on their computers and happy with their X-box and Game Cube's direct from here.
    Last edited by jurgenb52; 12-21-2005 at 10:35 AM.

I lived in Washington also. from ther plains of the Palouse to the Cascades, Washington has a little of everything. There is nothing better than a clear sunny day in Seattle driveing south on I-5 and seeing Mt. Rainier in your whole window. Now for some Disney trivia about Washington.

There is a game farm located in Sequim, Washington. This game farm was host to many of the live animals used in Walt Disney movies of the 50's and 60's. I actually went in the cage with Charlie the cougar from " Charlie the Lonesome Cougar". Also the bear from Grizzly Adams was there, and the old Hamms Beer polar bear. There are still some sound stages left there, old Disney scripts and such. They used to show all the old Disney educational films. The farm is not as nice as it once was, due to regulations and the owners ill health, but you can still drive through and it is worth the stop if your on the Olympic Penisula. If you ever meet Wolfette or Wolfy999 ask them about the bobcat on there head. And if you do go, say hi to Clay, my brother who as worked there for over 30 years. You can go to this website and get some info about the studio and animals. http://www.olygamefarm.com/

• My cuties!

They think the saying about Starbucks on every corner is a joke, it's not.
    I live in WA (small town NE of Portland, OR) and there are 3 Starbucks less than a 1/2 mile apart!

• Forever thankful. .

Thumbs up Re: Tell us about Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    That and we have Microsoft, Starbucks and is that not Nintendo's headquarters across 520 from Microsoft? So, we are what keep the country going. Caffeinated so people are able to work on their computers and happy with their X-box and Game Cube's direct from here.
    LOL!!!

Spent 49 years on the eastern side of WA. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Love Seattle! My grandma lived in Seattle the entire time I was growing up and I fell in love with Seattle as a child. It is usually sunny and the bluest skies you've ever seen (heehee) seem to be in Seattle when I go there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast