Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• horsin' around!

Red Face What's your "most wanted-but never received" gift, as a child..

I always wanted a pair of cowboy boots....this was well known by every member in my family. My best friend moved in with us when I was 7 and that very christmas there was a boot sized box under the tree. It was unmistakable... On Christmas morning my dad handed the box to my friend. and inside..were the most gorgeous pair of burgandy stitched boots ever. But he gave them to her. My mom blew a gasket! and i didn't speak to my dad for ages. I'm in my 40's now and that stupid memory still stings.

• Banned User

Re: What's your "most wanted-but never received" gift, as a child..

Oh my, now you did it, you opened up old memories.
    when I was young I wanted a doll, not the stupid chatty Kathy all hard and unsqueezable. I wanted a real baby, I wanted the kind that looked and feeled like a real baby, I would tell mom, and hope I got her and every year I got something I did not want. I got things like hair setters, nail stuff, and I wanted a doll!! I did get the kathy doll, but I did not love her. She was hard, and I wanted soft. To this day I remember my sister opening up her presents and getting the doll I always wanted. She was 6 I was 11 and I wanted it. I was so sad, angry and when ever she was not looking I would go hug her and play with her. I think to this day if my mother would have let me put my love of babies into the dolls and nuture this in me I would have never gotten pregnant so young. I have always loved babies, and I really believe that if I was alowed to love them as a little girl and to really have that doll, the stroller and all that goers with it I would have gottten over a loss of never experiencing it. Mom was a wonderful mother, she just did not listen some times when it was really needed.

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    Oh my, now you did it, you opened up old memories.
    when I was young I wanted a doll, not the stupid chatty Kathy all hard and unsqueezable. I wanted a real baby, I wanted the kind that looked and feeled like a real baby, I would tell mom, and hope I got her and every year I got something I did not want. I got things like hair setters, nail stuff, and I wanted a doll!! I did get the kathy doll, but I did not love her. She was hard, and I wanted soft. To this day I remember my sister opening up her presents and getting the doll I always wanted. She was 6 I was 11 and I wanted it. I was so sad, angry and when ever she was not looking I would go hug her and play with her. I think to this day if my mother would have let me put my love of babies into the dolls and nuture this in me I would have never gotten pregnant so young. I have always loved babies, and I really believe that if I was alowed to love them as a little girl and to really have that doll, the stroller and all that goers with it I would have gottten over a loss of never experiencing it. Mom was a wonderful mother, she just did not listen some times when it was really needed.
    okay...that one topped my cowboy boots! that is soooo sad!
    it makes me want to go buy you a lovely hugable soft little doll!
    ((((((((((hugs!))))))))

by the way.. i knew you would be one i could count on to reply to this post :-)

• See you there!

When I was a child my family was not very well off, but I always felt I got eveything I wanted or needed.

When I was 6 I got a little red wagon. I loved that little red wagon. (my wife got me a repro model of the very same wagon a couple of years ago as a "joke". It's now on my desk)

I got a BB gun when I was 8 (contrary to the movie, I never shot my eye or anyone's eye out)

Got sports equipment when I was 10 (basketball and hoop, dad built a BB backboard a couple of days later)

No, I think I've had a pretty full life, when we were not well off, I got (as I remember) and had everything I wanted (or needed).

Now as a adult my wife spoils me (darn!)

I can't remember ever wanting anything out of reach or wishing for somehting other than what I got (even when I did or did not know what I wanted).

I know that's not what the thread is about, but those are the memories it brings up.

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 12-17-2005 at 11:21 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Well, mine isn't quite so tragic! :squeze: you two.
    I wanted a Swatch watch. For years. Told my parents. For years. Finally got a watch when I was about 13 - it was this gold watch, pretty, but NO a Swatch. "You can't read the numbers on those" my mom says. I hated that gold watch. Hated wearing it, hardly did. Then, two years ago, my parents gave me another watch (the gold one had long turned bad) I had my hopes up... but nope. It IS a nice black watch they got with black hills gold. I LOVE it, but it's WAY too nice to wear everyday. And I was hoping for a Swatch Still.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• no flash photography...

anything I asked for I got. That may have been the only thing I got, but I got it. I never asked for pricey stuff. The most something may cost would be $100.00. *disclaimer ...I don't have very many childhood memeories. I ahve blocked/supressed them for inknown reasons. My parenats state I had a happy childhood. The few memeories I ahve are not that happy....w/e*

• Circle of Ancients

I always wished I could have known my real dad because he died when I was 3. I had a step-dad who was okay , but he and my mom were never that lovey dovey or affectionate so I always kind of wished for that. But my mom was a great mom who made the holidays really special and usually got us things we really liked. My favorite thing I ever got was a doll who had a button on her back where you could make her hair really long or really short...my husband always teases me and says that I probably have a hidden button on my back since I'm always going back and forth between long and short hair !!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Well, mine isn't quite so tragic! :squeze: you two.
    I wanted a Swatch watch. For years. Told my parents. For years. Finally got a watch when I was about 13 - it was this gold watch, pretty, but NO a Swatch. "You can't read the numbers on those" my mom says. I hated that gold watch. Hated wearing it, hardly did. Then, two years ago, my parents gave me another watch (the gold one had long turned bad) I had my hopes up... but nope. It IS a nice black watch they got with black hills gold. I LOVE it, but it's WAY too nice to wear everyday. And I was hoping for a Swatch Still.
    One year when my son was 12 I went out and got him a swatch, I was so excited as they to me were very expensive and I was quit poor. I spoiled my son, and he got what ever he wanted when I could save up enough to get it. One day I took him and a friend camping and the next day my son said, my swatch is gone my friend took it. I was so upset, and I asked the boy, he denied it but I know now that my son traded it. I was hurt but again I gave him everything and he did not work for anything. Thats why is is like he is today. I have learened kids need to work for special things. I was hurt, but all thr his child hood he did this and into his adulthood. I never denied him anything, and to this day he says to me, YOU were a horiable mother. when I asked him why he always says, you just were. very sad but a leasson ,learned, let your kids earn things and they will appreciate them more.!

• Banned User

Growing up we were very poor, we had six kids and my father had another 6 kids who he suported. we ate a lot of beans, and a lot of potatoes LOL! but I was grateful and I think thats what made me as kind as I am today. We got 3 gifts, and I never got a stocking until last year. But I am grateful for my parents that they were good parents. I may not have gotten the doll, but I did get lots of love.

• Banned User

Oh this thread brought up such memories! like the silver tree with the color wheel, I used to sit forever under it and watch the colors change. I peekd at every present I ever got, and I peeked at everyone elses to! I never believed in santa, my mom would wrap the presents at the kitchen table and she would tell us this and to stay out. Christmas was not that special in my house, but to me it will always be. I made it so in my own heart.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I wanted the gift of height. That is, I hoped that I would grow up to be at least 6' tall. At 5'5", I am a far cry from that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pixywingz

okay...that one topped my cowboy boots! that is soooo sad!
    it makes me want to go buy you a lovely hugable soft little doll!
    ((((((((((hugs!))))))))

by the way.. i knew you would be one i could count on to reply to this post :-)
    And yuors wants me to run out and get those boots!!!
    I know how you felt when she got the boots, my dad had a daughter from another marriage, she was the exact same age as me ( yep dad was messing with 2 women at the same time ) and every year at chrsitmas he would go buy them gifts. one year he went and got her the most beautiful dressing table, pink, with a mirror. I had never seen such beauty!! How could this be, it was so beautiful and it was mine I just knew it!! I dreamed about sitting at this table on the little chair and brushing my hair, and putting my things on it. Come christmas day it was not to be so, she got it, and the mother acually broke it into several peices and threw it in the garbage. ( to get back at dad) I was horified. sad and so disgusted that some one who not even let there child have it because she was mad. I was sad I did not get it, but way sadder at my sister for not getting it either. I wanted to know my other family, I had 6 brothers and sisters that the other mother would not let me see. to this day I still think of them and how my life and theres may have been dfferent. we could have been brothers and sisters, instead the bitter mother would not let me or them speak to each other. I did once and we had a good time, but them she moved them away across town, then to new mexico. Shame on her!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I always wanted the game of Mousetrap, but my mom said it had too many pieces. So a few years ago, Grumpy4 bought it for me! And now I'm happy. And yes, it does have a lot of pieces, and the game itself is kinda boring, but it sure is fun to play with!
    A signature should go here.

• Just Me

I always wanted boy toys. I wanted a Big Wheel and Hot Wheels sets. I had the cars, but I really wanted the sets. I also wanted the little race car sets (like slot cars).

I did get them eventually. As soon as The Boy got old enough he had HW sets galore. No Big Wheel though.

• Hedonist

I wanted the Major Matt Mason Space Station, a friend of mine got one and I was so jealous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast