Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are your gift giving traditions?

Just curious what everyone's traditions are. Anything unusual? We always open one gift on Christmas Eve, everything else on Christmas morning. I don't know how unusual that is but there must be some out there. What are yours, unusual or not?
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: What are your gift giving traditions?

I always sit in this one spot on a particilar sofa in the living room at my moms and look at everything Santa put in my stocking. Weird yes but it's tradition. Then later when the entire family is together my sister and I go into her bedroom together and fill our moms stocking with goodies and hand it to her.

And when we open gifts each person opens one at a time so that averyone can see what each person got, which when you have 17 people opening gifts like we're gonna have this year, can take a LONG time!

• Guardian Construct

We usually have our celebrations on the 24th. It started becuse thats the day my foster mom had ours so we could have our family visits on xmas. i just never switched back to the 25th for some reason. i guess its becuse we lost her not to long ago and i am just not up to it yet. we had the biggest bunch of gifts you would have ever seen. with 16-20 kids at once thats a lot of gifts to give!
    We also always have a cake insted of pie. we all dress in matching pjs for the big day and eat dinner for brunch and breakfast for dinner! OMG i miss her now! anyway i still do these things for my kids and they love it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    I always sit in this one spot on a particilar sofa in the living room at my moms and look at everything Santa put in my stocking. Weird yes but it's tradition. Then later when the entire family is together my sister and I go into her bedroom together and fill our moms stocking with goodies and hand it to her.

And when we open gifts each person opens one at a time so that averyone can see what each person got, which when you have 17 people opening gifts like we're gonna have this year, can take a LONG time!
    When our whole family gets together someone plays Santa and hands out all the presents. From there it's just a free for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan
    We also always have a cake insted of pie. we all dress in matching pjs for the big day and eat dinner for brunch and breakfast for dinner!
    Very cool.

• Banned User

I sit, all blury eyed as my kids wake me by 5:00 am! I let them at the presents and then begin the task of putting everything together. This year there is one thing to put together and I am doing it the night before. I am also putting coffee on so I can wake up this time then we go to my moms and open a few there. Then have dinner, then home so I can veg while the kids are playing with all there things.

• Senior Minion

One tradition is that each of the children in our family gets the same ornament basically acknowledging a particular Christmas year. So I have a tree just for those ornaments, and the amazing thing is some do bring back good times. Funny thing is some of them have tripled in value too, but I would never part with them. Too sentimental.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Wolfette opens 1 Christmas Eve. Then we spread Reindeer food on the front yard (oatmeal with sparkles), then put out Santa's special cookies and milk. Finally the Wolfette goes to bed. We spread the gifts out, and in the morning she has arranged them all in the order to open, she then pounds down the hallway 3-4 times before it drives her nuts and wakes us up (of course we are already awake). The stocking has already been attacked by this time, so no surprise there.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Just Me

This year we are going to a friend's house Christmas Eve. I am usually the first one up in Christmas morning and I make sure that everything is ready before The Boy wakes up. He opens his stuff from us and Santa. We always go to my mom's on Christmas morning. My sister and her family meet us there and we have breakfast then open presents. In the late afternoon we head to the inlaws and open stuff there. We have learned to eat dinner at home before going over there, sometimes there is food and sometimes there is not.

• no flash photography...

in years past christmas eve is at my mother house. We have all the chiars in a circle and we sit staring at each other or having the same conversations we ahve every year...eventually it's time to eat the traditional subway sandwich...after that we open gifts...then everyone goes home...it statrs around 1pm and is over by 5pm at the lastest. Yes, it's as boring as it sounds. My mother is insiting that I come this year because the whole family will be there. i said, "really? my sister is coming?" and my mother said no, but I had to come...maybe she feels it looks bad for her if both her children are absent from such festive activities...i REALLY do not want to go, but my mother is getting into hysterical yelling fits about it....I'll play it by ear for now...

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    in years past christmas eve is at my mother house. We have all the chiars in a circle and we sit staring at each other or having the same conversations we ahve every year...eventually it's time to eat the traditional subway sandwich...after that we open gifts...then everyone goes home...it statrs around 1pm and is over by 5pm at the lastest. Yes, it's as boring as it sounds. My mother is insiting that I come this year because the whole family will be there. i said, "really? my sister is coming?" and my mother said no, but I had to come...maybe she feels it looks bad for her if both her children are absent from such festive activities...i REALLY do not want to go, but my mother is getting into hysterical yelling fits about it....I'll play it by ear for now...
    Neither my brother nor I will be making it to my mom's this year. We both have moved far enogh away from "home" that it's difficult to make the trip every year. In the last several years somehow one or the other of us would make it there. Last year we both made it. I know our mom isn't happy about it but we both have families of our own and need to spend the holidays with our wives families too. There last couple of years there've been the big battles over who's going to be where. So, last year my wife and I made plans to cover the next few years and let everyone know so they could get all their griping out of the way early. The current plan is... Last year was with my mom, this year is with my wifes family, next year we will make the trek down to my mom's and THEN... For Christmas 2007, we are going to Disneyland!!! No joke. We are going to spend an entire week at the resort including Christmas day.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

When I was a kid, I was allowed to open one present Christmas Eve and it was always the one from the dog (oh shut it).

These days, I'm in Florida while my family is up in Michigan, so my mom just send me my presents and I open them whenever. This year, they camw down the week after Thanksgiving and I had "Christmas" with them their last night here after I got home from work.

Today I'm exchanging gifts with a friend... that is if he got on the ball and actually managed to get mine because as of yesterday around 5pm he still hadn't gone shopping (and he didn't have time last night because his band had a gig)! And if he tries to just give me a card with money in it I am going to throw it back at him. Dude needs to learn to put more effort and thought into this like I do. I bust my tail trying to find him stuff he can use (he's almost impossible to shop for) and I just would like the same in return. Okay I'll stop ranting now. LOL!

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

I ususally let the kids open one present on Christmas Eve...it used to be new pajamas...but it's kinda turned into a tradition to get to open a new movie...which helps pass the time. Last year it was Elf! Love that movie!

Christmas Morning...we let the kids wake up when they want...sometimes they sleep late...sometimes they get up early. We see what Santa brought...if he ate the cookies, if the reindeer ate the salad.....

(Kat usually makes a HUGE bowl of carrots, celery, lettuce, apples for the reindeer. I often think she's more worried about them than she is santa...of course then I have to come up with a way to get rid of all that!)

then we make hot cocoa (from scratch!) and coffee and have our traditional Christmas Breakfast...COOKIES!!!!!! Then it's present time....

and it's usually just a free for all! The kids alternate playing "Santa's Elf" and passing out the presents.

This year is kinda sad! My parents are divorcing - well at least they are in the middle of it - and my Mom is flying up to spend two weeks with us for the holiday. I didn't invite my Dad. He's my step-dad...but it would be too awkward and I want her to have a stress free holiday. Of course my sister says she thinks he's going to drive up here anyway...which I hope doesn't happen. NO DRAMA please!!!!
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

• Banned User

We should give out candy canes. They have a peppermint taste and you can use them to decorate the tree. Of course, candy canes are available in other flavours too. I don't think Christmas is a time to be stuck infront of the TV though.

• Just Me

Usually we go look at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. This year we are spending it with a friend who needs us. This is the friend whose husband killed himself in September and left her a widow with 3 kids to raise. We are the only true friends she has left right now. She asked us to come to dinner to help her with her family (mom, dad, brother ect...). She is having a real rough time right now, so a new tradition is in the making.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast