Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

How do you feel about WalMart?

I wonder how my fellow MiceChatters feel about shopping at WalMart. Personally I will not set foot in one of their stores because of their business practices, the pressure they put on suppliers, and the way they treat their employees as I understand it.
    In my opinion, they have strayed from the original vision of Sam Walton and are now something quite different. Sound familiar at all, Disney fans?
    Am I off base? I try to stay away from "big box" stores as much as possible, but I do find myself buying groceries from Vons, drugs from Rite-Aid (I miss Thrifty)
    and guzzling coffee from Starbucks and Coffee Bean.
    More and more local-flavor shops and stores are going under, and cities are looking more and more the same with one big chain after another moving in...next time you take a long drive most anywhere in the country, count the number of Outlet Malls, Home Depots, WalMarts, McDonalds and the like you pass on the way...depressing to me...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• twinkletwinkle I'm a star

Re: How do you feel about WalMart?

I very much agree with you! But, while I hate the idea of Wal-Mart- I do shop there. I live in a small town that only has that and a hand full of smaller, dollar store type places. We do have a town square with a few shops and I do shop there as often as possible. In fact I did most of my Christmas shopping there. It was so 'old timey' with the white lights in the trees, actually leaving one store and entering another to get different items. Unfortunately, we must be in the minority because the crowds are big in the mega stores.

• insufferable know-it-all

Another month, another Wal-Mart thread.

I shop there. Mom and pop shops are not by definition any better than big box stores, they can suck too. For example, plus size clothes.

Anyway, I can't afford a moral objection.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anniem8
    I very much agree with you! But, while I hate the idea of Wal-Mart- I do shop there. I live in a small town that only has that and a hand full of smaller, dollar store type places. We do have a town square with a few shops and I do shop there as often as possible. In fact I did most of my Christmas shopping there. It was so 'old timey' with the white lights in the trees, actually leaving one store and entering another to get different items. Unfortunately, we must be in the minority because the crowds are big in the mega stores.
    As best I understand it, Sam Walton first put his stores in to give smaller-town residents a good place to shop. That's great, but it's not what WalMart is about today. BTW...shopping most Southern California WM's in my experience is not that same, neighborly small-town kind of feeling that they tell us about in their advertising...

PS Morrigoon ... sorry if I'm being redundant...it's just something that's important to me, and having searched earlier threads, I thought I might have a little different spin on it.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 12-23-2005 at 07:07 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

If your question is "What do you think of Walmart TODAY" my response would be:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    (takes breath)AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!!!!!!!!! "

Can't get into the parking lot, lines halfway around the block....couldn't PAY me to go to Walmart today!

Otherwise, I'm o.k. with it. Where else could you go to get a pet fish, motor oil, french fries, a dvd, a new suit, a fishing pole, a t.v. set, fertilizer, Preparation H, and a wedding ring all under one roof?

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I feel as if I lose an I.Q. point everytime I make the poor decision to set foot in a Wal-Mart.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I shop at Walmart because of the prices. As a single mom I can't afford to spend the .40 to a $1 more per item at the other stores when I can get them at Walmart cheaper. The last I looked I wasn't white trash, driving a pick up truck or watching Nascar. I have a college degree and if any of those "fun" IQ tests online are any indication I'm not doing to poorly in that department either.

As far as the politics, I don't agree with what they are doing but when you can only budget $100 every two weeks for food, I can't afford to protest it by shopping somewhere else.

• Sock Puppet

If Wal-Mart is actually breaking laws, they should be fined and forced to comply with the law. Otherwise, it's free market capitalism.

Just about all of the anti-Wal-Mart rhetoric comes from labor unions who are highly upset that Wal-Mart is non-union. In fact, I was under the impression there weren't any Wal-Marts in California. These posts indicate otherwise. Are there any Super Wal-Marts in California (these include large grocery departments)?

The anti-globalization movement is similar. Labor unions spew of lot of half truth and untruth and young, impressionable people get all worked up about it. I'm not trying to dis' anyone who is in a union or is pro-union. I just think unions are doing anything and everything these days to protect their turf. Their tactics include propaganda through thinly veiled political movements.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

[quote=SummerInFL]I shop at Walmart because of the prices. As a single mom I can't afford to spend the .40 to a $1 more per item at the other stores when I can get them at Walmart cheaper. The last I looked I wasn't white trash, driving a pick up truck or watching Nascar. I have a college degree and if any of those "fun" IQ tests online are any indication I'm not doing to poorly in that department either.

quote]

I never intended to imply anything of the sort. I just wanted to state my opinions and open them up for discussion, and even criticism as I stated.

• Banned User

all of the above shop there , need to, live in very small town, yada yada yada !

• e komo mai

I'm more of a Target Girl myself...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    Just about all of the anti-Wal-Mart rhetoric comes from labor unions who are highly upset that Wal-Mart is non-union. In fact, I was under the impression there weren't any Wal-Marts in California. These posts indicate otherwise. Are there any Super Wal-Marts in California (these include large grocery departments)?
    WalMart has been here for at least a dozen years or more. The Super Walmarts are just springing up here - it was their spector that triggered a months-long, bitter and costly supermarket strike here just over a year ago.
    Yes, I come from a union family and am a proud member of AFTRA now. But that's not why I feel the way I do.
    No, I guess there's nothing illegal about the way WalMart does business. Highly unethical in my estimation, but probably not illegal.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    No, I guess there's nothing illegal about the way WalMart does business. Highly unethical in my estimation, but probably not illegal.
    I think they constantly walk the tightrope here, much like Micro$oft, in my opinion . I used to work for Little Debbie snack cakes, and they could make us jump through any amount of hoops just to get the product in the store. They make their own rules.

Like I've said before, I never fault a company for being successful, but I do fault them if they cross the line. Have I shopped there - yes. Will I continue to at times - yes. Do I prefer finding another place with reasonable prices - yes. Do I think they are good for the long term economy - no.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Senior Minion

I go only for toiletries and that's it, the stores are always dirty and merchandise is open and broken at the stores in my county. I would rather support the little guy and Mom and Pop.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Do You Wanna Get Rocked?

Blog Entries

I just returned from there about 10minutes ago! I got because it is a block away and they have the things I need! I bought a fish for my tank and exchanged some pj's for my sister!
    I happen to like the place!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast