Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Anaheim added back onto the California high speed rail plans

There was a thread on here recently stating that the California high speed rail project removed Anaheim as the southern terminus of the line. Well apparently according to the OC Register Anaheim has been added back on. Although the article doesn't mention it I bet Disney paid their lawyers big time on this one. Not having the high speed rail stop in Anaheim would likely have hugely impacted things for Disney's future expansion plans. So this seems to be a good thing -- if this rail line gets built at all.

Anaheim back on high-speed rail route | anaheim, rail, speed - News - The Orange County Register

Re: Anaheim added back onto the California high speed rail plans

This thing is never going to get built. It's been plagued with so many problems. I actually thought they had dumped the high speed rail idea and started playing with the concept of expanding traditional rail lines, no?
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Banned User

It's so sad that this is only feasible by 2028. 2028. In less than seven years, China built a bullet train network larger than the ones in Japan and Germany.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    It's so sad that this is only feasible by 2028. 2028. In less than seven years, China built a bullet train network larger than the ones in Japan and Germany.
    ITA. I would have to think that there would be a way to do this more quickly if they so chose.

Disneyland Paris has a direct link to both Eurostar and the RER commuter train from Paris, and it really makes the parks accessible to those who do not want to drive or have cars. It would be really nice to see something like that become a reality in Anaheim, too, both for Disneyland and the Angels.

• the rum is always gone

The issue with high speed rail is the sheer cost that comes with it. Even if the bankrupt state of CA or the defaulting Federal Government can muster up the money for the project, tickets to ride the trains will be near $100 (far more expensive than any family would be willing to pay). Not to mention all of the delays and cost overruns the project has already had. In addition, there are huge battles going on in the Central Valley about the rail carving up farmland. While this many not be a big issue for some, for the farmers it is the equivalent of having a train go through the middle of your house and you cannot get from one side to the other without having to travel a mile down the road to the nearest overpass.

Sure high speed rail would be nice, but is it realistic in our current economic situation?

I love the concept of high speed rail, but in practice, it's a huge mistake. It's too expensive to build (costs have doubled since approved), to maintain and to use. Sacramento and San Diego have been cut out of the loop until way in the future. Amazing that Anaheim was included again. Californians just don't want to give up the convenience of cars.

• Banned User

For the person who remarked that China built high speed rail lines in 7 years, please Google more about those high speed lines in China --- they are already failing. There's going to be massive numbers of deaths because those trains are unsafe.

Already, there have been two crashed of high speed trains in China because the tracks were not built correctly...and the Chinese government just buried the trains underground with the dead bodies still in them. Brand new trains, after they wrecked, were just pushed into a riverbed and covered in mud so the Chinese could pretend it never happened.

In China and in Dubai, large construction project may miraculously seem like they can be built overnight...but the fact is, all the corners that are cut in these countries involve safety measures...and these construction projects end up failing and killing many people but the oppressive governments there work overtime to cover it up.

There is no amount of money in the world that would ever get me to travel by high speed train in China. Japan, yes. France, yes, Germany, yes. But never in China.

Honestly, I'd be scared to travel on a high speed train in California too because of the union workers who would get the no-bid contracts through Democrat political connections. Shoddy construction is a big union scam here in Illinois where public works projects are only built to last three years or so and then the unions get to tear it all up and rebuild it again. With those high speed rail lines, I'd be terrified of riding on a train like that and be worried about the safety of the tracks.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    The Chinese government has certain authorities over its people that you would not want our government to have over us.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Pilot EdForceOne

everything is inefficent these days due to crazy labor, regulation, etc.

We built the transcontential railroad.. through a civil war, indian conflicts, etc in less time. The Trans Alaska highway was built in just 7 months!

The Panama Canal - the largest construction project in the history of man kind.. was built in only 10 years.

Projects all done in complete frontiers.. completely inaccessible. Hoover Dam was built in only 5 years.

Now it takes us about a year of actual construction, another year plus of 'planning and studies' before that.. just to build a simple highway interchange.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    everything is inefficent these days due to crazy labor, regulation, etc.

We built the transcontential railroad.. through a civil war, indian conflicts, etc in less time. The Trans Alaska highway was built in just 7 months!

The Panama Canal - the largest construction project in the history of man kind.. was built in only 10 years.

Projects all done in complete frontiers.. completely inaccessible. Hoover Dam was built in only 5 years.

Now it takes us about a year of actual construction, another year plus of 'planning and studies' before that.. just to build a simple highway interchange.
    Environmental impact studies! I love wildlife and want to protect it, but that ant right there does not have to be relocated before this pothole is filled.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    The issue with high speed rail is the sheer cost that comes with it. Even if the bankrupt state of CA or the defaulting Federal Government can muster up the money for the project, tickets to ride the trains will be near $100 (far more expensive than any family would be willing to pay). Not to mention all of the delays and cost overruns the project has already had. In addition, there are huge battles going on in the Central Valley about the rail carving up farmland. While this many not be a big issue for some, for the farmers it is the equivalent of having a train go through the middle of your house and you cannot get from one side to the other without having to travel a mile down the road to the nearest overpass.

Sure high speed rail would be nice, but is it realistic in our current economic situation?
    Absolutely spot on, the state of California and the Federal Government are flat out broke. This new project is totally unrealistic considering our current situation of 16 trillion in national debt.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    This thing is never going to get built. It's been plagued with so many problems. I actually thought they had dumped the high speed rail idea and started playing with the concept of expanding traditional rail lines, no?
    What problems?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Population density is another factor. Very dense places are much more likely to benefit from transit like this. California is not sparse in population by any means, but China and Japan are examples of the most dense commuter populations in the world.

When did MiceChat become Fox News?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Population density is another factor. Very dense places are much more likely to benefit from transit like this. California is not sparse in population by any means, but China and Japan are examples of the most dense commuter populations in the world.

Transportation infrastructure produces economic growth, which, in turn, generates government revenues. Apparently, investment of hundreds of billions of dollars in freeways and in airports is alright because those contribute to the bottom lines of the oil industry, but, as soon as anyone suggests anything that runs on electricity in this country, the petroleum companies are there to squelch it with hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of: lobbyists; advertising, and other propaganda; think tanks; and, campaign contributions.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 04-14-2012 at 02:44 AM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Well, L.A. was recently declared the city with the highest population density in the country...

I disagree with this, though. When you look at countries like France, Italy and Great Britain, their national rail systems, which include high speed trains, go through both major cities and small rural areas. That's actually the case for train systems across Europe. They're extremely heavily used, and not just in dense urban areas. And for the most part, they're extremely safe.

I wouldn't want the engineers who did the Chinese rail system to work on ours...but bring in the ones who did the bullet train, or the TGV, or Thalys, and they might be helpful. Even drilling a tunnel under the English Channel didn't take as long as the California project is proposed to take.

I think the difference is the reliance on cars in California and the unwillingness to accept rail as a viable form of transit. I can only think that linking the major California cities through rail would be a positive thing. It would add jobs, it would help people take jobs in other cities (let's say you were living in San Francisco and were offered a job in Santa Cruz...it might be more doable). Even at $100/ticket for the entire SF-Southern California route, it would cost less than driving or flying roundtrip from San Francisco to Anaheim. It would also make traveling between the major cities a lot more accessible to a lot more people.
    Last edited by Malina; 04-14-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast