Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

bummed over losing my Disney books :(

Still bummed after finding out last night.. a significant number of my Disney book collection has been ruined

Most of my books were still in boxes from our last move.. while I was waiting to get suitable bookshelves. Well we finally got some, and so most of this week I was spending evenings after work reorganizing the office so I had a decent space to keep my books handy. Well I finished last night, so I went down to the basement to start pulling books out.

Turns out something was on the floor (still don't know the true source.. foundation seepage or what) and found many of the books were swollen and flat out mold covered

Lost probably 30 Disney VHS tapes.. a collectors edition of the first star wars trilogy set in VHS that was mint.. numerous other minor tapes. And three of my large format Disney books that are all out of print. My Designing Disney by John Hench, the first Imagineering Book, and Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance. All still reek of mildew to the point I can't even have them in the office

Just saddened by it all...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Former Cast Member

Re: bummed over losing my Disney books :(

Sorry to hear about that, hopefully they can be eventually replaced.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The first imagineering book is listed at $188 to buy in new condition alone

the john hench book I can get in paperback now cheap, but not the large format hardcover cheaply.

the disney architechure book is expensive period.. ugh

At least I have the new book being printed by Alaine and Dusty here soon to tide me over a bit

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I never put anything on our basement floor unless I put it first in a waterproof storage container of some type. We get water sometimes. We get seepage. We recently flooded, and my grandson and his mom were living downstairs, and they lost items that they did not protect. I remember telling them to never leave anything on the basement floor, because water has a way of getting in when we least expect it.

I am sorry for your loss.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'm considering putting packing pallets down... our floor is painted, so shouldn't get seepage from the bottom.. but it might be seeping through the wall :/ only that line of boxes took water. It wasn't enough to see it from outside.. it was only when you got to the bottom of the boxes did you find stuff damaged. Lesson learned

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I recently emptied out an entire attic. I am a sentimental old woman, and I saved a lot of things from the grandson. Some would definitely wonder why. It took me a long time, but eventually, I switched all the items into better storage containers. Cardboard boxes are great for somethings, but for longer storage I wanted to keep the dust and other debri out.

My husband has a lot of books, and right now a lot of them are in a temporary location. He wants to eventually put them in our basement, which I think is a mistake. I'd rather rearrange the house, and buy some nice bookcases for our living room. So we are contemplating what to do.

My husband is one of those people who loves to read an actual book, rather than own an e-reader. However, when one doesn't have the space, it forces you to get creative, and find safe ways to display and store the books.

• Hooterville, USA

Sometimes things just happen. No one's fault.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

That really sucks. I'm always worried about my Disney books as they're on the bottom shelf due to their size (but on an upper floor).

• Mrs. J. Depp

Do you have any type of insurance covering this type of thing? Not that it would bring back your items in any way, but just peace of mind that you could get some sort of settlement from the situation. I'm sorry to hear about that, as I know I'd be extremely disheartened.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Insurance deductibles and the risk of getting dropped doesn't make it worth it over a few hundred dollars

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I hope that these items that you have lost can be replaced, and aren't items that will be hard to find.

• Jessie: exuberent & fun!!

I never, ever, ever, EVER put my Disney stuff on the floor. Period. Too much grossness. I would never want a corner of ANYTHING to touch a basement floor if I didn't know whether there was seepage or not, much less a Disney item. There's so much to worry about when it comes to putting things on ANY floor. If it's a basement floor, there could be seepage. If it's carpet, someone before you could've used it as a exercise floor, litter box, etc. If it's a wood floor, someone could've drooled or puked on it. It's just not worth the worry.

I feel bad for you. You lost a lot of things that were very, very important. Hope that someday, you'll be able to buy new ones! In the meantime, you have my full empathy. And, yes, that is possible coming from an Aspie.
    Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
    Buzz: clears throat)
    I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
    Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
    Buster: (barking)
    Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
    Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
    Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
    Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
    Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
    Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
    (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!

• Grim Grinning

I had something similar happen recently. We packed up our Disney VHS collection and put the boxes in the basement. Well, our refrigerator leaked, seeped through the floor, and right onto the box of tapes. Most of the tapes survived, some were beyond help. Thankfully we have a few stores up here that have tons of Disney tapes for next to nothing so I can replace the ones we lost. I hope you can get replacements for the things you lost.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry. It sucks to lose that stuff. We have the big plastic boxes for everything.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'm still holding out hope that somehow I can kill the smell in the books. They've been sitting on a desk for some weeks now without new growth.. just need to find a way to kill the mildew smell. Won't move them into the office while they stink like that!

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast