Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Fear Of Flying to Hawaii

My wife and I are looking forward to a short vacation in Hawaii (on the island of Kauai), leaving next Friday.
    I'm excited about seeing Hawaii for the first time. A friend is having his wedding on the island on January 1st.
    But as the date draws nearer, I'm sensing a fear of flying. It won't be my first flight, but it's my first in about seven years...and the flight (I think its United) out of LAX takes about six hours.
    And since I'm 6'5 and about 400 pounds, we're hoping that the flights aren't full so I might get a little extra room. (I'm working on losing weight.)
    Any words of comfort or advice, or advice on seeing the island of Kauai - would be greatly appreciated!!!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Fear Of Flying to Hawaii

the key is to not think about it.
    make sure that you have something to do as soon as you get on the plane...
    and i personally dont like listening to the safety procedures, it freaks me out. basically...FIND A HAPPY PLACE.

good luck, and remember to just think of the fun you'll have

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You'll be fine. Flying is still safer than driving a car.

• Old Timer

I remember the flight when the roof peeled off 737 and a stew was lost, it was caused by lack of maintenance of aircraft that was used primarily in tropical climates causing metal fatigue and corrosion.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Just a warning, but because of your size, theres a slight chance they may actually make you purchase another seat. If you are flying non stop to Lihue that'll be on a 757 in which the seat width is only 17" and the seat pitch is 31" (unless you get to sit in Economy Plus where the pitch is 36"). It's not that airlines being "mean" either, it's for your safety and the safety of the passengers in your row in case of an emergency that you have easy egress from your seat.

You might want to call the airline first before arriving at the airport to see what they advise. If they don't say you need another seat, be sure to sit on the aisle and if you can wrangle it away from a flyer with frequent flyer status, an exit row as that will give you tons more room, especially rows 15 and 16.

Good luck and have a GREAT time in Kauai! The only island I haven't been on yet but I hear nothing but great things about its beauty.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Seriously, think about all the flights that go there all day long every day of the year. How many times do you hear of anything going wrong?? Pretty much almost never. Considering the amount of flights going over to any issues, the odds of ANYTHING happening are pretty microscopically small.

Go!!! Enjoy!!!! And think of us poor mainlanders stuck back here slaving away while you will be in paradise!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Here's the most comforting thought to hold while in the air:
    I'm going to Kauai!
    2nd most comforting thought upon arrival:
    Hey, this is the airport from Honeymoon in Vegas!

I've been fortunate enough to visit the beautiful garden island three times.
    Here's some of my basic tips:

Do go to a sunset dinner at The Beach House restaurant at Poipu Beach - so romantic! Too romantic.

Do get married to anyone in the Fern Grotto - it's not legally binding and worth the hike!

Do wave to the Sleeping Giant!

Do cruise by the hurricane damaged (and hopefully rebuilt) Coco Palms Resort - Elvis filmed Blue Hawaii there.

Do watch out for dinosaurs, Jurassic Park was filmed on the island... as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark and many other movies.

It's a small island, drive everywhere and see everything - enjoy & Aloha!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Also Lilo & Stitch has excellent Kauai locations and points of interest. It was very cool to see the island's beauty translated in animation:

Production designer Paul Felix writes about his experiences in Hawaii in the excellent companion book to the film: "Lilo & Stitch - Collected Stories from the Film's Creators."

Felix writes, "In the small town of Hanapepe, I found all the usual homey details, ranging from rusted-out bridges to homemade mailboxes. In particular, I was interested to see how these details weathered in Kaua'i's unique climate. I took as many pictures as I could but tried, at the same time, just to soak in the general atmosphere, which is hard to reproduce in photographs. I certainly recall being impressed by the saturation of colors and the ever-changing moods of the skies and landscape."

Dean DeBlois writes, "The soft, rounded character designs and organic watercolors relax the imagery and ease the atmosphere, to portray a sense of Lilo's endless summer, childlike perception of her world. We designed her town in such a way that Lilo could get everywhere she wanted to go by means of little paths, quiet back roads, and even a cavernous storm pipe that runs underneath the main street. We had sent time in Hanalei and Hanapepe while on a research trip to Kaua'i, and these beautiful, sleepy little spots became the inspiration for Lilo's town."
    Attention to detail is seen in almost every shot. Viewers familiar with Hawaii will notice such landmarks as the bridge to Hanalei, the Kilauea Lighthouse, the Princeville Hotel, the Na Pali Coast, the shave ice stand, green sea turtles and even a poster of Duke Kahanamoku over Lilo's sister Nani's bed.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    I remember the flight when the roof peeled off 737 and a stew was lost, it was caused by lack of maintenance of aircraft that was used primarily in tropical climates causing metal fatigue and corrosion.
    come on, that was months ago... not like it happened recently.. besides.. thats why airplane graveyards are in the desert...

• Circle of Ancients

Radioberry...I used to be scared of flying too but my best friend's husband told me something once that made me much less afraid. He was a pilot in the Gulf War and is now a pilot for Delta airlines and he said that your chances of getting killed in a plane crash are less than your chances of winning the lottery!

Also, think about this...if you don't fly , you will mis out on seeing so many beautiful places there are to see in this world. I've never been to Kauai, but my sister has and she loves it. And wasn't George of the Jungle filmed there too? If so, plan to do a "Ah ah ah ah ah " yell when you get there!

Just keep yourself as busy as you can on the plane, drink lots of water to stay hydrated and think about how much fun you'll have once you get there!

Keep up the good work on your diet too!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks for everything, gang...I'm printing out these posts to take with me while I fly. Hopefully none of you with set off security problems at LAX (lol). It's a short trip because of my wife's work schedule, but I got a brand new digitial camera and I'm learning to use it.
    We also bought small dvd players to watch during the flight...I think I'll go rent Lilo and Stitch and Elvis to get in the mood...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Island Paradise

Radiobarry,

As someone who used to travel quite a bit, then hadn't been on a plane until recently I can relate to your trepidation. Everyone that has given stats on the safety of flying, is right on. If you are still very apprehensive, see your MD. Her or She can prescribe something very mild for you that might really help.

Have a terrific trip!

the em

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I know it's easy to say "Try not to worry" and much harder to actually do that. I've flown all my life and never gave it a second thought until recent years. I wouldn't say I'm scared to fly but I sure think about things that could happen a lot more these days. The thing is, the places that I am going while flying and the people I will be seeing when I get there, or that I'm going there with, are more important than my thoughts about the flight. Maybe you can buy a book on Kauai and read about the places you want to see on the way there? Of course, the DVD player and music are always good diversions.

Sadly, I don't have any info about the island. Even though I have a LOT of extended family there. My Mom was born there (in Kapaa) and grew up there, so did my Grandparents. We plan to make a trip in 2007 for our 10th anniversary so I'll love hearing about your experiences when you get back!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• Banned User

all I want to say is have an awsome time!!!
    please share the pictures !! and take lots of the water I love the ocean!!!

• Rock Star Minion

It sure beats driving to Hawaii.
    When you get there, just walk up and down the beach. When you get hot, just dip into the ocean. then start walking again. Stay hydrated.
    Stay away from the fried foods. The fish is (or should be) very fresh.

Check out the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast