• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Turn Out the Lights...End of An Era on Disney's ABC

With the New England-New York Jets game tonight comes the end of a broadcasting era on ABC-TV.
    Monday Night Football, as we've known it for the past...36...seasons...is leaving over-the-air television (being shifted to Disney's ESPN next season).
    These days it's really no big deal. But there was a time when MNF drew fans and non-fans alike to the set, back to a time when there were only three channels available in a lot of areas. Folks used to tune in for the antics of Frank Gifford, How-wud Coh-sell and Dandy Don Mererdith even more than for the game they were broadcasting.
    These days its just another game among the dozens in different sports available every week. Still, it's a milestone worthy of note.
    Keith Jackson was the first play by play guy in 1970...Gifford came in the next season.
    Among other guys in the booth between those days and the current Al Michaels and John Madden...
    Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, Joe Namath, O.J. Simpson, and Dan Dierdorf...Dennis Miller...( I think Alex Karras was on for a year or two)...
    But for those of us who have watched from the very first night when the Browns beat the Jets in Cleveland, MNF will always mean Gifford, Cosell, and Dandy Don.
    About the title of this thread? Each week, when the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt, Meredith would croon the words of a Willie Nelson tune in his own inimitable voice...
    "Turn out the liiiiights...the party's over...they say that awwlll...good things must end..."
    P.S. Nice job by MNF on the retrospective pieces in its final telecast.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• My cuties!

Re: Turn Out the Lights...End of An Era on Disney's ABC

These days it's really no big deal.
    But what about those of us who don't have cable?!?!? My husband is so bummed about this. They are paying $1.1 BILLION a year to have it on ESPN. That is nuts!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    But what about those of us who don't have cable?!?!? My husband is so bummed about this. They are paying $1.1 BILLION a year to have it on ESPN. That is nuts!
    And, correct me if I'm wrong, MNF is still among the more highly-rated network shows to this day...
    But I'm just saying that the show (game) is no longer the bigger spectacle that it once was.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

ABC wanted more contol, NFL said no, ESPN wanted it, they got it.. ABC has more of it's regular money for programing while ESPN has to get more for it's..

simple as that... and yes, it is bad for those who don't have basic cable or equivelent... but in the end, NFL is a buisness, and wants to make a profit..

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    ABC wanted more contol, NFL said no, ESPN wanted it, they got it.. ABC has more of it's regular money for programing while ESPN has to get more for it's..

simple as that... and yes, it is bad for those who don't have basic cable or equivelent... but in the end, NFL is a buisness, and wants to make a profit..
    ABC wanted the right to get more important matchups at the end of the season, and change the schedule if necessary...look at some of the "dog" games they had coming down the stretch this year. It's something NBC now has for its new Sunday package. We all know that it's all about the money.
    I just wanted to mark the end of another broadcasting era. 36 seasons...quite a run for any t-v show...sports or not...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

And how ironic: On the first MNF game, the Jets lost to the Browns 31-21.

Tonight's score: New England 31, Jets 21.

Somewhere, Howard Cosell is smiling.

• Disney Memory Maker

Isn't it so appropriate that MNF is ending the same way it started (at least score wise)?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    And how ironic: On the first MNF game, the Jets lost to the Browns 31-21.

Tonight's score: New England 31, Jets 21.

Somewhere, Howard Cosell is smiling.

Whoa that is so... just.... whoa.... Its almost a spiritual thing. And yes I know its all about the money and profit and all, but its still sad when things you grew up with and counted on have to change.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

when is cable TV going to become the standard ? they over charge and there are times there is nothing on so they should just make it free. Keep the HBO type channels paid but some of the basic should be available to all.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

MNF has been an institution! I'm very sad to see it go...even if it's just moving over to espn. First the Chargers forget to show up for their game in Kansas city, and now this.

I'm going to need therapy.

• A Pirate's life for me!

For those of you without cable TV, you might still be able to watch the game. In our local market (SF Bay Area), a local channel picks up the sunday night ESPN games and broadcasts them on their own local channel, so if you don't get cable, you can still watch it.

Maybe the same will hold true for MNF next season. Check your local listings!

Good luck!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    Whoa that is so... just.... whoa.... Its almost a spiritual thing. And yes I know its all about the money and profit and all, but its still sad when things you grew up with and counted on have to change.
    My thoughts exactly,penguinsoda...

Turn out the lights, the party's over - they say that all good things must end - call it tonight, the party's over...and tomorrow starts the some old thing...on ESPN...(sorry, Willie and Danderoo)

PS to Pirate...the only times I ever saw that happen in the LA market, that I can recall, is when either the Rams or Raiders were involved, when they were actual Los Angeles NFL franchises (Yes, grandkids, they did have them here once). Hopefully for those without cable, they won't wait til we get another team before doing it again...(lol)
    And localdisney...sorry about your Chargers...the Chiefs picked a heck of a time to finally come through for me in my football pool...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 12-27-2005 at 01:50 AM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

About old LA teams...When the Rams were in Anaheim, one time CBS showed a game against the New York Giants in the early 90's. The Rams were bad, and the game was a blowout...and I'll never forget that the blimp camera left Anaheim Stadium and went over to DL...and in between plays John Madden (MNF's most recent analyst) was using his on-screen"telestrator" to diagram bobsleds coming in and out of the Matterhorn...and folks riding the Peoplemover and SkyWay...it was a hoot...

• most magical vaca ever

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    About old LA teams...When the Rams were in Anaheim, one time CBS showed a game against the New York Giants in the early 90's. The Rams were bad, and the game was a blowout...and I'll never forget that the blimp camera left Anaheim Stadium and went over to DL...and in between plays John Madden (MNF's most recent analyst) was using his on-screen"telestrator" to diagram bobsleds coming in and out of the Matterhorn...and folks riding the Peoplemover and SkyWay...it was a hoot...

That's great!!! I'd do the same
    ~~~~~~