Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Help...my husband has started snoring and is waking me up every night!

I think it's because he's gained some holiday weight. I've not had to deal with this for a while so I'm wondering if those of you who have can give me some suggestions on what to do so I can get some sleep!

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Re: Help...my husband has started snoring and is waking me up every night!

Breathe Right strips, raise his head with pillows or sew a tennis ball into the back of his Pj's so he can't lay on his back.

But if it isn't the weight, make sure you get it checked out. You don't wont him to have undiagnosed sleep apnea. You can die from it and it increases heart problems.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

This might help too

What is snoring?

Snoring occurs when the flow of air from the mouth or nose to the lungs is disturbed during sleep, usually by a blockage or narrowing in the nose, mouth, or throat (airway). This causes the tissues of the airway to vibrate and knock against the back of the throat, resulting in a noise that can be soft, loud, raspy, harsh, hoarse, or fluttering. You may not know that you snore. Your bed partner may notice the snoring and that you sleep with your mouth open. If snoring interferes with your or your bed partner's sleep, either or both of you may feel tired during the day.
    In the past, snoring was often considered no more than a nuisance that kept a bed partner awake at night. However, snoring may progress to upper respiratory resistance syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder in which you periodically stop breathing during sleep. Because of this, it is important to see your health professional if you routinely snore.
    Snoring is common. About 25% to 50% of men and about 25% to 30% of women snore on a regular basis. 1

What causes snoring?

You snore when the flow of air from your mouth or nose to your lungs makes the tissues of the airway vibrate. This usually is caused by a blockage (obstruction) or narrowing in the nose, mouth, or throat (airway). When you inhale during sleep, air enters the mouth or nose and passes through the soft palate (the back of the roof of the mouth) on its way to the lungs. The back of the mouth—where the tongue and upper throat meet the soft palate and uvula—is collapsible. If this area collapses enough, the airway becomes narrow or blocked. The narrowed or blocked passage disturbs the airflow, which causes the soft palate and uvula to vibrate and knock against the back of the throat, causing snoring. The tonsils and adenoids may also vibrate. The narrower the airway is, the more the tissue vibrates, and the louder the snoring is.
    See illustrations of the tonsils, adenoids, and uvula and the soft palate.

How is it treated?

You may be able to treat snoring through lifestyle modifications such as losing weight (if necessary), quitting smoking, changing sleep habits (such as sleeping on your side instead of your back), and avoiding the use of alcohol and sedatives before bed. If nasal congestion is disturbing airflow, nasal dilators (such as nasal strips), decongestants, or inhaled corticosteroids may be used. Oral breathing devices, which push the tongue and jaw forward to improve airflow, may also be an option. If these treatments do not work, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or surgery may be tried.
    Snoring is not always considered a medical problem, so insurance may not cover treatment.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hey, I will Trade

Deogge's Mom is snoring right now, and quite loudly......
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Barbie?
    Breathe Right strips, raise his head with pillows or sew a tennis ball into the back of his Pj's so he can't lay on his back.

But if it isn't the weight, make sure you get it checked out. You don't wont him to have undiagnosed sleep apnea. You can die from it and it increases heart problems.
    Princess - I don't mean to overreact but have your husband checked out if there is the least bit of doubt.
    Granted I am more than 100 pounds overweight but after my wife (a registered nurse) insisted, after hearing my snoring, I got my doctor's referral to an overnight sleep study place and was diagnosed with severe apnea. I would go several seconds at a time during sleep without normal breathing.
    I wear a c-pap mask to bed now every night with hooked up to a special machine. It's not really as bad as that sounds, considering the alternative.
    I got insurance coverage essentially because my apnea is considered to be caused by a life-threatening situation. It's hard to say if your husband would be covered, and the equipment isn't cheap.
    Still - please consider having him checked out -
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

well I guess there goes us sharing a room in April, I snore to beat the band! you would not get any rest at disneyland.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    well I guess there goes us sharing a room in April, I snore to beat the band! you would not get any rest at disneyland.

Well...every once in a while I take Ambien and I sleep like a log with no groggy after -effects in the morning! I just don't want to take it every day.

Yikes! Now I'm kind of worried about my hubby. I thought snoring was just something men did when their bellies got too big and they slept on their backs. My hubby has been going to the gym and taking the weight back off so if he stops snoring when he gets back to his usual weight I won't worry. But if he keeps snoring , I guess I better encourage him to go to the doctor and get checked out.

I finally managed to get to sleep last night and then my son's alarm clock went off full blast at 6 am so here I am again!

• Banned User

I also use a cpap machine, and have an oxegen tank by my bed. if he just started and its from weigh gain, have it lookd into,if after a few weeks and he loses the weight and stops he will be fine,.some snore once in a while from exaustion .

• Banned User

oh and I do the ambien to, but it makes me itch terible. but it sure works!

• most magical vaca ever

I can relate PB!! DH does the same to me... spent plenty nights on the sofa

It comes and goes but I definitely agree that FOOD has a lot to do with it!
    ~~~~~~

• Hooterville, USA

Separate bedrooms?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• See you there!

Other factors that also enters the equation... What is your husband's qulity of sleep like? Does he wake several times per night? Does he wake refreshed?

I'm with the others. I believe he may want to get checked out for Apnea, he may not! But you should encourage him. I had undiagnsed Apnea for several years, the quality of my sleep was bad, and other bad stuff. Apnea is a treatable problem, but if left untrearted, well, it can be and often has very serious side effects.

Even if he doesn't have Apnea, it will be worth it to find out that he doesn't. This is not something to fool around with!

Good luck,

CU@DL

Andy

• no flash photography...

geez...I feel for you. My BF snores so loud. I ahve asked him to go to the dcotors, but he refuses. We have been sleeping in seperate rooms for 3 years now. If you find a solution let me know. The worst part is I tend to forget how bad it is until we go somewhere. When we're in the hotel and the snoring starts it all comes back to me like lightening. I ahve stuffed toilet paper in my ears and kicked, hit and pushed him, but he always starts snoring agagin....it's very frustrating. The seperate room thing helps, btu it's not the best solution...

• Banned User

do what I did when I was married, go to sleep first! my ex and I would do anything toget to sleep before the other. Why I used to wake him up if he went to sleep before me! and he would wake me and say " want to fool around I can not sleep as you are snoring to loud! and he snored real loud to! so yeah we fooled around a lot as neither of us had good sleep oh the goodold days, now I sleep alone and no one to wake up

• A Pirate's life for me!

Sorry to hear about the sleep issues.

What is a CPAP unit? Oxygen tank and mask? Is it a permanent thing or a temporary treatment?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast