•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Threads of the Past.

I recently wrote a letter to a family member, that I did not know existed. I was at my mom's house, and going through her holiday mail, when I discovered an unfamiliar name. My maiden name on a letter to her. First name Charlie. Charlie and Ada, to be exact. "Who are Charlie and Ada? I asked my mother. Her age of 80 caused her to reply, "I am not sure".

I needed to find out just who Charlie and Ada were. Could it be that my dad still has relatives in the state of Michigan? I printed out a page with some pictures of mom and us at Christmas and wrote a letter. I included who I was exactly, and that I would love to have pictures of my grandmother Bertha, who also lived in Michigan. My dad died in 1967, and with him died most of our contact with his family. We did hear from a sister, but that was brief.

About 4 days, after I sent off my letter, I received a phone call from Charlie and Ada. I discovered they are my cousins. Charlie's dad and my dad were brothers. Ada is married to Charlie. They were just as happy to hear from me as I was to hear from them.

I am presently in the process of gathering photographs of my family to send to my cousin. Ada is also a scrapbooker like I am. Charlie has pictures of my grandmother. I have none. I will, however have some now, as soon as Charlie keeps his promise to send me copies of what he has.

Why is it that when we are young, we don't care about such things as pictures and letters and keeping in touch with cousins and aunts and grandparents? Reaching retirement age, and having granchildren, and then we want to reach back into our past and grab on to anything and everything that we can find.

Do you know your family well? I discovered an uncle's family, that I had little knowledge of. I hope to enjoy getting to know them better, even if it's only through letters and photographs and maybe telephone conversations. Weaving threads of the past into the fabric that is now.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Threads of the Past.

Wow, what a great story!!! There are relatives on my mothers side I will never know, and never be able to know. There are relatives that I've lost touch with over the years as many of the "older" ones have died. A few years ago I was going some geneology stuff online, and was contacted by a long lost cousin on my fathers side who was also doing some research into the family history. It was an interesting brief encounter, but after the one time I never heard from him again.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

How sweet!!
    I don't know my relatives very well, but I know most of them! We live in different states so I only see some once a year and a few only every several years.

When I was in elementary school I found out about a relative I didn't know I had - my dad's first cousin, who was like a brother to my dad and his brother. When I found out about him, he was married and had six daughters... I heard about him after they all got into a horrible car accident and only two of his kids survived. It made me mad that I never got to know him or his other family.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I am a Pluto lover

My dad left the family when I was 2. He was not heard from again until he had suffered a serious stroke. His final years were spent in a vegitation state. I did find 2 new sisters and a brother that he had after he left us.

After his death, I did some digging and found cousins and aunts and uncles from his side that I never knew. It was kinda cool. I found out about his side of the family and even received a picture of my grandparents on his side. (They did not approve of my mom, she was not German, so I never met them.)

Barbaraann, I know what you mean. I never cared to know my dad's family or to hear the stories about my moms family. My mom has been gone 2 years now and I can not get enough. Im am creating a family book with all the pictures and stories so that when my son finally takes an interest years from now, it will all be there for him to read.
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Banned User

This is what my mother and cousin did!!
    Mom wanted to know her history, but my grand mother was closed mouth about it. like she was ashamed! So when my grand mother passed my cousin( where gramma lived ) went thru all her things and found so much history. My cousin began to do a huge and I mean huge background on all the relatives of my grand mother, all the way down to my mom. Just last week mom recieved the book ( it was 10 inches thick. and 12 inches long.)it has all the pictures of relatives, 3 generations back, and letters, history, and she even put it all on disk so we children could copy it if we want. we are of royal decentdant of norway. totally cool. I always wanted to know and now I do. but I have to read more so I know more. the book is so huge!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

In some cases people do not become interested in family until they become older. I actually remember a visit from my father's brother George. He was accompanied by a sailor. I now realize that that sailor is the Charlie that I just located.. I didn't realize my father had a brother named Raymond. My dad's name was Herman. He worked long days as a waiter. He never talked to us 4 kids much. He was quiet. We had to pry information out of him. He was born in Indiana. His mother lived in Benton Harbor Michigan. If I met her, I was very young. It will be nice finding out more about my father and his relatives.

• most magical vaca ever

Growing up it was just my mom's side of the family cuz' my dad's side lived in Canada, Greece and one Uncle did live in NYC. Once my parents separated we never heard from him or his side of the family again until my dad had a severe heart attack in 1992. His brother came to my house asking if I would go visit him. I just laughed and said "UM I think NOT" and went on my merry way....

As for my mom's family she has 2 brothers. One here in NJ and one in FL. The one here in NJ is an off again- on again type of person so as of the last few years we have only seen him at my grandmothers funeral. My Uncle in FL we see for a day ever time we go to WDW (they're about 40 minutes away)

As for my cousins, they're ALL grown men now and none of them even bother to know who is dead or alive. Doesn't bother me, even as kids we hardly ever got to see them. I do have two older female cousins that are my mom's foster brothers daughters. We keep in touch with one of them quite often but the other we see once a year.

Now, for my husbands family~ Holy Moly!!!! He's from a VERY close ITALIAN family where your 60th cousin 200 times removed WILL be at your wedding and any other family event I think it's great how they are all so close.

My kids are very lucky to have ALL their immediate family living within 10 miles of one another and the other 90% live within a two hour drive. I make sure the kids all get to see each other at least one time a month... There's enough of them that we usually have one or two b'day parties to go to every month so it makes it easy enough....

DH and me have hard cover books that are filled with hundreds of questions about our families that we fill in so one day when we're not here to answer "who was Aunt Jean" they'll know.
    ~~~~~~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Why is it that when we are young, we don't care about such things as pictures and letters and keeping in touch with cousins and aunts and grandparents? Reaching retirement age, and having granchildren, and then we want to reach back into our past and grab on to anything and everything that we can find.

Do you know your family well? I discovered an uncle's family, that I had little knowledge of. I hope to enjoy getting to know them better, even if it's only through letters and photographs and maybe telephone conversations. Weaving threads of the past into the fabric that is now.
    Glad to see you found more family . As for your first question, I think the reason why is because as we mature we become more curious. When we are young, our brains and minds are not fully developed and we don not have much interest for things.

Your second question, yes I think I do. My dadas side of the family was really hard to re-unite under one roof though because my aunts and uncles are so far spread apart in the U.S. We just moved down to Kentucky and had a family reunion her during last years 4th of July weekend. Unfortunately the aunt who really wanted the runion did not make it because she passed away to Lukes Garret Disease. Since then a whole bunch of family get togethers have been in the work. Some times it take the unfortunate death of a realitive to get reunions going again. Just last week I called one of my cousins up on the phone who I have literally not talked to in the last 10 years. I maybe going to my cousins graduation party and June and hope to see the cousin I have nott seen in 10 years there as well.

Heck my aunt on my moms side tracked my family back to 82 BC and found out we are related to many famous celebrities, presidents, & kings and that was only on my grandpas side.

My Uncle on my dads side also has done much research on my grandpas side of the family that dates back long ago. One of my relatives helped build the famous golden dome on the Notre Dame admissions school office in Indiana. and it can be seen in the film "Rudy". I believe it was my great grandpa Elmer who lived near the university and did not allow them to build roads leading to the university on his property. However he has long since died and I believe about 20 years ago they finally put an interstate leading to the school that goes right through his property.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 01-07-2006 at 12:47 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well my cousin Charlie kept his promise. He sent me family pictures. Lots of them. I glanced at them briefly. I am almost out the door to my grandson's house, so I tucked the padded envelope in my bag. I will be able to read the letter and really look at the photos. Something about old pictures that just warms your heart. I'll report back later. I'm so excited.

• most magical vaca ever

that's such exciting news Barbaraann
    ~~~~~~

• Life is Great!

I was adopted and had a nice childhod, never really thought about my birth family. grew up very close to my cousins, spent nearly every weekend tgether up until they started high school(i was youngest) saw them less and less until by the time i started college i want in contact with any of them. then when i was 25 i started to get curious about my birth family and started looking. i luckily found and have been reunited with many of them, mainly birth moms family. when i got married in 2001 i tried to get back in touch with the cousins, a couple live out of state and i have now seen them each once in the past 4 years, the one who is local never wrote/called back. but i am in touch with my birth cousins and we email regularly and have all had kids in the past couple years. maybe ill try again!
    {:

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Yay family! Last year I found out about a half sister that I didn't know I had. We're totally in contact now and she is so much like my sister and I- it's been a weird nuture/nature science experiment. Very cool!
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am just so excited. It's funny that I am writing this after the episode of Gilmore girls, that I watched. Luke is really wanting to get to know the daughter that he didn't know he had.

Back to my story. I did not realize that my dad had 2 brothers. I remember the brother George. I did not remember a brother Raymond. Raymond had a son Charlie. Charlie married Ada. Charlie and Ada have been faithfully writing my mom, since my dad passed away and that is almost 40 years. Why did I not know this? I thought I had no relatives anymore on my dad's side. I have a lot, by the way, all living in the state of Michigan.

Well Charlie sent me pictures of my dad and his 2 brothers, when they were small. My dad is about 3 years old in one picture. My dad was blond like me. The other one is also of the 3 brothers. My dad was blond still and is about 6 or 7. There is another picture of my father Herman and my mom Anna. It is dated 1947. I was born that year in September. My mom was most likely pregnant with me at the time, but she is not showing. The picture was most likely taken in the spring.

There are numerous pictures of my grandmother Bertha. Bertha is alone in a few pictures. There are pictures of Bertha and Roy. Roy would be my father's father. This means to me, that I now have photographs of not only my grandmother, but my grandfather also.

It gets even better. There are pictures of Bertha with her sister Lena and her brother John. The best is yet to come. There is a picture of Bertha's mother and father. Her father was Calvin and her mother was Megg. This means to me, that I have a picture of my great grandparents.

So don't let anyone ever tell you it doesn't pay to write your relatives. They won't remember you or write back, some family members comment. Well I wrote and I am pleasantly surprised.

2 years ago in school, my grandson had to do a family tree project. I didn't have too much to give him at the time. Well now, when I complete his scrapbook, I can scrap parent pictures, grandparent pictures, great grandparent pictures, great great grandparent pictures, and also great great great grandparent pictures all from my side of the family. How cool is that?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am going to do a scrapbook of my newly found family members. Since I now have pictures of my great grandparents and my grandparents and more of my dad and mom, it will make a nice family scrapbook.