Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: What are you reading right now?

[quote=hakuna makarla]and why did you choose this book? [quote]

GREAT question! I had the opportunity to read LOTS of books in the last two weeks. The first was "Eating for Life" It's by Bill Phillips who also wrote "Body for Life" which is an amazing program. My hubby and I "did the challenge" a few years ago and lost lots of weight and body fat so we're planning to do it again starting on January 9th. Then I read "Mean Girls Grown Up" which is an EXCELLENT book because I wanted to try to make some sense of some of the bad stuff that happened to me and others online and in person last year. The book talked a lot about "queen bees, middle bees, and victim bees" and how girls and women can fall into any of those categories unless they consciously make a choice to try to get out of those roles and just get along with all women. Honestly, it is SUCH a good book. It made me take a look at some of the stuff I had done and realize I was not happy with some of my words and actions over the past year. Then I read a really crappy book called "Forget Me Not" that I hid in the cupboard of the timeshare where we stayed. I also read "The Nanny Diaries" which was a really good book but also kind of sad. Amd I read "Nights in Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks which was really romantic. I really like his writing. And today I read "Can You keep a Secret" which is absolutelyu hilarious. My hubby is reading it now as I type this!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 01-07-2006 at 10:11 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

PB - Thanks for the review on Mean Girls Grown Up - I had been contemplating that one. I think I'll pick it up and put it on the pile!

• Circle of Ancients

You're welcome. It was definitely a life changing book for me!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernOverlook
    i just started reading "The men who stare at goats" by Jon Ronson.
    anyone read it?
    I haven't heard of that one but the title sounds interesting.

Right now I am reading "Men at Arms" on of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. They are all so hysterical! I have most of them, but haven't read all of them yet.

I also have the 3 pre-prequels to the Dune series that I have to start, if I can ever NOT come in here.

Yeah, like THATS gonna happen anytime soon.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernOverlook
    i just started reading "The men who stare at goats" by Jon Ronson.
    anyone read it?
    I haven't heard of that one but the title sounds interesting.

Right now I am reading "Men at Arms" one of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. They are all so hysterical! I have most of them, but haven't read all of them yet.

I also have the 3 pre-prequels to the Dune series that I have to start, if I can ever NOT come in here.

Yeah, like THATS gonna happen anytime soon.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

oops... sorry about that....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Just finished "State of Fear" which was recommended to me by someone on MiceChat--can't remember who, however. So thank you, whoever.

Now I'm onto a personal favorite, Ann Rule. I'd been waiting for "Green River, Running Red" to come out in paperback. Now that it came out, I'm zipping it up. I tend to buy books like this so I can take my time to enjoy them, as opposed to trying to rush back to the library to have to return them. But I do go to the library about once a month for fun reads.

Ann Rule defines the "True Crime" genre of literature, started so long ago with "In Cold Blood." However, my experience has been that she is not a sensationalist like so many of the titles in this genre tend to be. Her books are a bit more direct in their presentation.

If you decide to go with this genre, as opposed to this book (which has been quite good--the tale of the Green River serial killer) take a look at "Zodiac" by Robert Greysmith, I believe. That's being made into a movie and will be released this summer, if all goes as planned. Or "The Stranger Beside Me" where Mrs. Rule worked alongside (literally) a young man named Ted Bundy, before and during his killing spree. It's really a very good book--creepy in that it's true as can be.

I like to alternate between fiction and nonfiction in my leisure reading. Next up? I'm not sure. I have a list on my palm I update whenever I go to a bookstore. It's getting pretty long. And there's going to be a roundtable book club at my school where I work as an English teacher. I'm thinking of joining and their first text is "On Common Grounds." And, sadly, it's not about coffee.

Peace and good reading,
    Roo

PS: I forgot to answer the 'why' I'm reading this book. I've loved True Crime since high school. I'm a freelance unpublished author. Most, but not all, of my stories have tended to be on the scary side. But strangely, I don't identify with horror authors--I find their stories to be a bit too unlandish for myself. Whereas I do have creatures and monsters, I consider them more thrillers and mysteries. And as such, I like my stories to have a link to the world-at-large. A touch of reality, so to speak. And that's where the nonfiction stuff comes in.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• no flash photography...

the world is flat.....chose because I was interested in the book and I prefer non-fiction. I usually read history type books though.

• Minion

Center Square: The Paul Lynde Story

• Waiting for the stork

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    Just started rereading Life of Pi. Great books with one of my favorite quotes.

"...a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful."

Love this book.
    that's on my reading list...I'm saving it for the summer though....
    procrastibating

• Looking for Love

The Holy Bible and "I Kissed Dating Goodbye".

• Waiting for the stork

[quote=Princess Buttercup][quote=hakuna makarla]and why did you choose this book?

GREAT question! I had the opportunity to read LOTS of books in the last two weeks. The first was "Eating for Life" It's by Bill Phillips who also wrote "Body for Life" which is an amazing program. My hubby and I "did the challenge" a few years ago and lost lots of weight and body fat so we're planning to do it again starting on January 9th. Then I read "Mean Girls Grown Up" which is an EXCELLENT book because I wanted to try to make some sense of some of the bad stuff that happened to me and others online and in person last year. The book talked a lot about "queen bees, middle bees, and victim bees" and how girls and women can fall into any of those categories unless they consciously make a choice to try to get out of those roles and just get along with all women. Honestly, it is SUCH a good book. It made me take a look at some of the stuff I had done and realize I was not happy with some of my words and actions over the past year. Then I read a really crappy book called "Forget Me Not" that I hid in the cupboard of the timeshare where we stayed. I also read "The Nanny Diaries" which was a really good book but also kind of sad. Amd I read "Nights in Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks which was really romantic. I really like his writing. And today I read "Can You keep a Secret" which is absolutelyu hilarious. My hubby is reading it now as I type this!
    Oh I am adding mean girls grown up to my list....I just finished (well a few weeks ago) Odd girl out, very good book...hard to read becaus it hit so close to home, it brought up things that I had left buried a long time ago.

I loved the Nanny Diaries and Can you keep a secret, just such a cute fun book...

seems we have similar taste in books...

-----------------------------

and MNTGIRL, you will love On Writing

-----------------------------
    procrastibating

• Directly directed

I'm waiting for an amazon order too. It's bringing me Pirates of Pensacola (no idea what it is about but it has the word pirates in the title which is good enough for me) and Taking Tea with Alice. I'm also reading DisneyWar simply because it is a good book.

• Former Epcot CM

I got the big hardback version of DisneyWar for Christmas - up until reading it I thought it was just one big offensive against Eisner but I think it stays pretty unbiased. It only criticises Eisner for the bad things he did, and praises him for the good. It is also very informative and knowledgable without sounding like a uber Disney fan is writing it.

Aside from that, I am on the sixth novel in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. In a nutshell, Precious Ramotswe is the only female private detective in the African country of Botswana, and the series follows her overcoming adversity (in very funny ways) and is a big eye-opener to post-colonial African life. It is written by a Scottish male university professor who grew up im Zimbabwe and lived in Botswana for a while, and so you can expect provides a very authentic account of Botswanan life without seeming like a culture from another planet, which it is certainly not. Basically the books are very warm, touching, friendly, and fill you up with a gentle fuzz which makes you tingle all over, the ideal books for a snuggle up in a chair by the fire. Which is an unusual feeling for books set in horrendously hot temperatures.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Gay Man

Currently engrossed in A Million Little Pieces and, while I cringe at times, I love his honesty and the recount of his journey.

Also reading the latest collection of short stories by one of my favorite authors, T. C. Boyle. Boyle is a master of great storytelling and I'm so happy to have a new collection to read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast