Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Chief Troublemaker

Don't want to be morbid, but.....

When DH & I were at DLR this week the topic came up of music we would want at our funerals. Don't ask how we got on that topic, too convoluted to explain. Anyway, I told my DH that I wanted 'A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes' and 'When you Wish Upon a Star' played & sung at my funeral. Those songs have special meaning to me and I believe that wishes & dreams are an important part of life. My DH tends to be a pragmatic soul & believes hard work is all you need. He thought those songs would seem pretty silly at a funeral.

If it's not too morbid a subject...what do you think?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Nic

Re: Don't want to be morbid, but.....

I know they have special meaning for you, but what meaning would they have at a funeral?

If you want a Disney song at your funeral, why not "You'll Be in My Heart" from Tarzan? It's message is basically saying don't cry, it'll be all right, I'll be here. Even though it doesn't have special meaning, it'd be a great song.

But if you really do want those two songs at your funeral, who's to object? It's your funeral, and you can do what you want.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Keep in mind that when people hear a song at a funeral, they end up thinking about the funeral every time afterwards. Thats just my experience.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Hooterville, USA

I think it's a great idea!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Keep in mind that when people hear a song at a funeral, they end up thinking about the funeral every time afterwards. Thats just my experience.
    This.

When I got married my mother insisted that Ave Maria be performed at our wedding. My ex was against it but reluctantly agreed. I finally went to my mother and stood my ground, not necessarily in support of my ex, but because every time I hear that song it reminds me of a funeral because of so many times I've heard it played there. Definitely not a wedding or a Christmas song for which it is sometimes used.

If I wanted a Disney song played at my funeral it probably would be Feed The Birds. Sort of a pay-it-forward type message. But then I wouldn't want my mourners to think of a funeral every time they watch Mary Poppins!

And something to keep in mind if you are Catholic. The music director at our church, who holds a doctorate in sacred music from USC, says that most Catholic Churches will not allow non-religious based music to be played in the church. So that leaves out most Disney songs. Although they probably could be played during the viewing at the mortuary. Of course then, the reference to the saints and apostles in Feed The Birds might give that one a pass, and maybe the song from Johnny Appleseed might be legitimate too.

•   
    • Minion

I think that if the point of a funeral should be to memorialize and celebrate your life and what you loved...you should have the songs you love, whatever they are. I think it's respectful to the deceased to respect their wishes and play the music they loved in life.

I've heard of Disney songs, "Over the Rainbow," heavy metal and all sorts of other stuff being played at funerals. If you want those two songs, you should have them! Depending on your religion you might not get them at the church or synagogue, but you can certainly do them at the funeral home, or perhaps graveside.

For me, I've requested that I don't want a funeral, I just want everyone to go out and have a dance party or something for me.

I like it. After all I want, "Crazy train" by Ozzy Osbourne played at mine.

• "Always On The Move..."

One of my friends was Frank-N-Furter at the local RHPS floor show. When he passed there was a huge pic of him as Frankie and the song played was "I'm going home." Not a dry eye in the house. Not sure of a song for mine, but I know that I want to be cremated in my jedi robes.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I would play "Its a great big beautiful tomorrow" and give them one last laugh.

• Chief Troublemaker

Thanks for your thoughts. I always associate songs with people, not so much with occasions. At my Dad's funeral we sang the beautiful old hymn 'In the Garden'. When I hear it now I don't think of his funeral, but I do think of my Dad. Same with my cousin, who died young. Her husband requested 'Three Times a Lady' be played and when I hear it I think of her, not her death.

At any rate, we're all too young to think of these things now, right? As long as they don't play 'Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead' I guess I won't haunt anybody!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Mrs. J. Depp

The way I see it, funerals or memorial services as I like to call them, shouldn't be so much a time of grieving as it should be a celebration of that persons life. If those songs held special meaning for you, then that is a representation of your life on this earth and who cares what anyone else says. Do what you want!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Haha, I like this thread. My sister wants "another one bites the dust" at hers. Since I'm older, I hope to not be there, but kinda want to see the reactions of family and other people she may collect by then. I've kinda always wanted "Grimm Grinning Ghosts" because I love that song.

As much as I love Disney, I hadn't thought of my family playing a Disney song at my funeral.

I've told my kids (23, 18, and 16) for the last couple of years that I want "Happy" by the Rolling Stones. They're like "Ok". Only because I love the song-not for any message.

I say you should have your choice as to what's played.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My brother wanted "Sounds of Silence" played at his funeral, because he loved the song and the movie The Graduate. My brother died in 1994, and they honored his wishes. I do think of my brother first, and then his funeral when I hear the song.

Personally, I don't have a request for my own passing. Gives me something to think about.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I would play "Its a great big beautiful tomorrow" and give them one last laugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast