Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "My hometown"

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

"My hometown"

Where do you live? What is your hometown? Do you like where you live?

I live in Chicago. I love living in Chicago. I have lived here my entire life.
    The thing I like the best about living here is that I can get around anywhere I want by myself. I am not dependent on the automobile. Chicago is full of things to do. My family lives here. At least my closest family members.

So MiceChatters tell us about your "hometown". Lots of MiceChatters equals lots of hometowns and surely great hometown stories.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: "My hometown"

I live in Largo, FL. www.largo.com It's in the middle of it all but nice and secluded as suburbs go. It's on what we affectionately call the "nose" of Florida on the West coast, about 30 minutes from Tampa. I live 10 minutes from the beach by car, 1.5 hours from WDW and its great fun to decorate our palm trees in our front yard at Christmas.

We don't have any hurricanes by us, just a lot of high wind and rain. I've only seen one wild alligator since 89' and a lot of what people think Florida is exaggerated. (Old people, hurricanes, alligators, big bugs etc..)

I love it here, have been missing the snow lately so I will have to see what the future brings but I've lived here almost my entire life and it has everything I have ever wanted to call "home"

• twinkletwinkle I'm a star

I live in Elberton, Georgia. It's a very small town! We're about 2.5 hours from Atlanta, about 2.5 hours from Greenville, South Carollina. I love it here because it is a small town. To visit here is alot like stepping back in time to the 1950's. Alot of moms are stay-at-home, alot of families are from high school sweethearts, doors are not routinely locked, there are no truly 'bad' parts of town. We have 1 doctor's office, 2 grocery stores, 1 Walmart (not a super center), a couple of hardware stores and 1 video store. We have 2 sit down restaurants (1 Mexican, 1 Chinese), and a handfull of hamburger places. At Christmas our town square has white lights in the trees and the town gathers to light the town tree ,sing Christmas caroles and take rides in the horse and buggies. Middle school kids usually congregate at the square after school, so the police department has an officer stationed there until around 6pm. They ride skateboards, go to the old time drug store for 'Pink Elephants' and listen to music coming from the music store located there. I go to church with my kids' dentist and a couple of their teachers and I've known my 16 year old daughter's boyfriend since he was a 6 year old boy scout!

True, I have to drive an hour to go to the movies or a mall; can't go out of the house without seeing several people who need to have a conversation with me, and my kids are living very sheltered lives. But, drive by shootings don't happen, and while drugs are a problem here like everywhere, it's still rare enough to evoke outrage that they are in our schools. All in all- having grown up in a large suburban area-Dallas Texas- I choose the small town life for my family!

• most magical vaca ever

I was born and raised in Jersey City, NJ which is right across the Hudson River from NYC. Growing up in such a large city was great. Like Chicago you didn't need a car, you could just hop a bus, train or boat to wherever you needed to go. Infact my high school was located right across from lower Manhattan and I would sometimes find myself gazing at the most amazing skyline in the world (IMO) instead of doing my work

My hometown now is still in New Jersey. Just a little more west of where I grew up and a different county. I am just about 2 miles from GIANTS Stadium which is located in East Rutherford NJ.... We are now approximately 8-10 miles west of New York City. We've been here almost 10 years now and it still doesn't feel like "home" yet but it does to my children so I'm sure it'll grow on me soon enough. They are the reason we moved, we wanted them to go to better schools and live in a quieter area.

I love NJ, we get to expierience all 4 seasons. Usually when you are just about sick of the snow it's time to get into spring.... Same goes for summer, just when the heat and humidity are about to drive you nuts it's time for fall.

Being so close to NYC is great and being an hour from the beach or mountains makes living here great
    ~~~~~~

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

btw I love reading the diversity between hometowns, it really tells you what America stands for and has to offer. Such vast differences between places, like little countries in our country. LOL

We need a happy off topic smiley. ROFL

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Chicago is a great place to live, if you love sports, like I do. As a kid, I hung out at the local schoolyard and we were always playing some kind of sport. Baseball games. Softball mostly. Chicago is dotted with parks. In the spring and the summer the parks are full of Little League baseball games, and now the boys and girls, play side by side. Don't think in my day, I could have kept up with the boys.

Also if you like to swim and boat, we have a fabulous lakefront. Lots of boat harbors. In the summer, there are lots of motor boats and sailboats out on Lake Michigan.

More later.

Come on MiceChatters tell us about your hometown.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Where do you live? What is your hometown? Do you like where you live?

I live in Chicago. I love living in Chicago. I have lived here my entire life.
    The thing I like the best about living here is that I can get around anywhere I want by myself. I am not dependent on the automobile. Chicago is full of things to do. My family lives here. At least my closest family members.

So MiceChatters tell us about your "hometown". Lots of MiceChatters equals lots of hometowns and surely great hometown stories.
    I live in Los Angeles, California (East los angeles) I've lived here all my life, and would love to move somewhere else, still in L.A but you know, like a nicer area!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

No more hometown stories? Wouldn't you like to brag a little about the place where you live?

• Sock Puppet

My hometown is actually Anaheim, California. I grew up in the area and love to visit Disneyland, but I have no desire to live there any more.

I now live in Colorado Springs which is awesome. Apparently, I'm not the only person who thinks the Springs is awesome because there a lot of people from California living here.

We get more sunny days than So Cal. Although, we sometimes get snow and it can get very cold; typically for no more than a few days. Then, it's sunny and warm again. Colorado Springs is actually in a high desert sitting right against the Rocky Mountains. World class skiing is two hours away. World class hiking and mountain biking is just down the road from my house.

For "big city" stuff, Denver is an hour away. It's not Chicago, but it has more than I'll ever need. And hey, our NFL team just might make it to the Superbowl!

I really like the very low humidity in Colorado. I lived on the East Coast for 15 years and absolutely hated the damp, muggy climate.

So, come visit Colorado Springs. The people here are very friendly, even if you are from California. Stroll through Garden of the Gods (amazing!). Ride the cog railway to the top of Pikes Peak (awesome!). Stay at the historical Broadmoor resort (incredible!). Drive the mountain roads and take in the scenery (fantastic!). Walk around in downtown Colorado Springs at midnight and fear nothing more than seeing a few drunks staggering out of the clubs.

While California certainly has some great scenery, what makes Colorado so nice is that things are typically very un-crowded (with the exception of ski resorts at high season).

• love my friends

I Now live in fullerton ca, but my homewtown is Lillooet, British columbia, canada.. I love that place

Everyone knows everyone.. if you dont have acar, you can just walk to get around.. The only draw back is no movie theaters, and n ot alot of jobs...

this is a place where you see someone at the post office 9to pick up your mail) and you just shoot the breeze.. the hospitals are great.. you know everyone who works there./. I love it and just miss it

Friends for life

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

For the past seven years I have lived in a beautiful little seaside hamlet known as La Conchita, California. Many people worldwide know of us now because of the tragic mudslide here last year.
    This is still a very beautiful place to live...just the six lanes of Highway 101 separate us from the beautiful Pacific Ocean, approximately 15 miles NW of Ventura and 20 miles SE of Santa Barbara. (About 75 miles NW of Los Angeles, and maybe 105 miles from DL.)
    This is a very eclectic community with a bohemian kind of "artist colony" feel to it, a place indeed where people really care about one another.
    There's only about 300 of us living here...along a stretch of about nine short blocks.
    Given the problems with the hillside most of the local politicians wish that we'd just go away. Guess what - most of us aren't.
    I was born in Whittier, CA - and spent most of my formative years in the Orange County towns of Cypress and Garden Grove.
    But for the last 23 years I've called Ventura County (and now La Conchita) home...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My hometown is Grand Rapids, MI. Second largest city in Michigan after Detroit. It's a small city with a big city feel. Was a nice place to grow up but I got sick of living there after 25 years.

I lived 5 years in Tampa, FL and got sick of there too. I like to visit but it's way too big and fast-paced for me these days.

I've been living in Clearwater, FL for a year now and I LOVE it here. Another small city with a big city feel but with much nicer weather.

• no flash photography...

my hometown is glendora, ca. I loved living there, but I hate visiting it and would nto want to live there again. It depresses me, but I don't know why. I hated where I lve now for the longest time. Now I'm just used to it, but I wouldn't mind moving....LOL

• And, THEN she said...

I was born in Harbor City, Ca and grew up in Los Alamitos, the housing tract we lived in was called Rossmoor. I had lots to do growing up, walked to the library, went to the movies our library and movie theatre were just down the street from me..but my main thing was my horses my parents had a Boarding Stable in Long Beach and I was there every day so i never had time to get into trouble. our stable had mostly girls and their horses all of the kids from all of the other stables knew my mom as "mom" we had BBQ's every weekend there during the summer and a big party for the 4th of July I so miss home sometimes.

Now i live in Ky been here since Jan of 98 its way different here than home, no busy freeways, no big towns very close BG is big but not compared to Anahiem or Long Beach or at least to me LOL everything goes at such a slower pace, kind of hard to get used to! I like it here but would love to go home to visit soon! and here things are more affordable like hay, and food and rent..its kind of nice to pay 400 a month rent to own on a 3 bed 2 bath mobile home, and enough room for my 3 horses to be in my back yard rather than 775 a month for a 2 bed apt in fullerton with a little front patio for my dog to not have to be on a leash constantly.

• Senior Minion

We moved here in the 70's. This is my hometown Modesto. American Graffiti was the movie based on George Lucas's life of Star Wars fame.
    Here is a statue that was placed at the "5 points" corner in our city. Mr.Lucas did not show, because he was in London making the "Phantom Menace" Episode I film. He was put on a live feed video thanking the city for acknowleging his film. Cruising was a big "part of the things to do" Even though a lot of scenes were filmed in other cities, he acknowleged alot of the same streets that locals here grew up cruising. 9th st, Jst, just to name a few. Basically every year after High School Graduation tradition was to cruise the Mchenry Ave and show off your car or show car up and down the street.
    It became to costly to maintain a good enforcement of this street. So cruising was banned in the early 90's.

This backside is a bench in front of one of the busiest intersections.

I wasn't sure if this was ok so if you want me to remove it let me know.

I was born in Grand Rapids, MI also.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast