Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walt Disney a "Boss from Hell"

I read this article this morning in FastCompany.com...

Bosses from Hell
    A rogue's gallery of the manipulative, abusive, grandiose -- and downright crooked -- executives who have strutted their way across the stage of American business.

Walt Disney
    The man behind the Mouse was a suspicious control freak -- a dictatorial boss who underpaid his workers, clashed with labor organizing efforts, made anti-Semitic smears about the other Hollywood studio heads, and wouldn't give due recognition to Mickey's real creator, animator Ub Iwerks, who was supposedly his oldest friend. He also spied prodigiously for J. Edgar Hoover and cooperated with Senator Joseph McCarthy in the 1960s.

Certainly not the polished image presented to us by corporate Disney today. I wonder if Eisner ever spied for the FBI?
    You can read the entire article here...http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...s-gallery.html
    Last edited by JangoFett; 01-09-2006 at 05:57 AM.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Walt Disney a "Boss from Hell"

Eh.. I've heard things about Walt Disney over the years that fuel these theory. Some say he was racist as well. There really is no way to prove or disprove anything because we can't ask him.

There are many different examples of how Disney gave back to the people, including his employees that I find it hard to believe some of these statements.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett

Bosses from Hell
    A rogue's gallery of the manipulative, abusive, grandiose -- and downright crooked -- executives who have strutted their way across the stage of American business.

Walt Disney
    The man behind the Mouse was a suspicious control freak -- a dictatorial boss who underpaid his workers, clashed with labor organizing efforts, made anti-Semitic smears about the other Hollywood studio heads, and wouldn't give due recognition to Mickey's real creator, animator Ub Iwerks, who was supposedly his oldest friend. He also spied prodigiously for J. Edgar Hoover and cooperated with Senator Joseph McCarthy in the 1960s.

Certainly not the polished image presented to us by corporate Disney today. I wonder if Eisner ever spied for the FBI?
    You can read the entire article here...http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...s-gallery.html
    Lots of crap was printed about Walt Disney during the 60's. Between tabloid journalism and the union bosses who were ticked about Walt's lack of regard for unions, i'm sure there more juicy stuff than that out there. Most of us know the deal regarding Ub and how he bailed on Walt for more $$$. As for "real creator", hmmm... real creator in what way? Did Walt tell him how to draw him, or did Ub design him from the ground up? And who gave him his personality and voice? And is there a difference between Walt's account and Ub's? Whose story do we believe?

In spite of the obvious spin of this book, I'm sure Walt was no boy scout when it came to business. But I highly doubt he was a card carrying member of some anti- semetic organization. And just what WERE these anti=semetic remarks? And the McCarthy thing sounds a bit out there.

In any case, the author wants to sell books, and Walt Disney's reputation has spoken for itself for many, many years. The motivation of this author is painfully obvious.
    I fart in his general direction.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    I fart in his general direction.

You made me spit up my tea. LOL

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett

Bosses from Hell

Walt Disney

My Uncle told me about Walt being Anti-Semitist but none the less he is still my idol. As for being a "Perfectionist" and "Control freak"......What boss wouldn't be any of those? He had to make sure the products with his name on them were really good. Ub Iwerks turned on Walt during the strike in the 1940's by working for one of Walts competitors. He blamed the strike on communism. Well Walt is the one who created Mickey Mouse. Ub just re-worked the design into something better. So technically Walt still created Mickey Mouse.

I do not know if the stuff this author is saying is true or just rumors since it is now hard to find evidence to back it up. But none the less, you can say whatever you want about Walt and I will still call him my idol and I still have a bunch of respect for him and all his accomplishments

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Ub just re-worked the design into something better. So technically Walt still created Mickey Mouse.
    Not necessarily the Mickey we know and love now though. I have seen an image of Walt drawing Mickey... and he isn't the best artist.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

walt was notorious for underpaying people, and he was anti- union because of the studio strike. after wwII, disney studio's employees struck for better wages and working conditions as did other studio employees atthe time. He took the strike personally and never trusted his employees again. he also blamed the strike on the communist party and it was well known that he was anti-semetic. On the other hand, he was also a caring employer and gave back not only money but his time to various charities of the time. Above all Walt was human being who wanted to make money as was roy. they weren't superhuman heroes or saints.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    walt was notorious for underpaying people, and he was anti- union because of the studio strike. after wwII, disney studio's employees struck for better wages and working conditions as did other studio employees atthe time. He took the strike personally and never trusted his employees again.
    Good post! I am friends with several people who worked at Disney during the 30s and 40s and took part in the strike. They talk about going over the hill to Hollywood and picket at the Pantages where a Disney film was playing.

WW2 gave Walt a diversion during the war effort but employess noted a definite change in him ever since the strike and following the war he increasingly lost interest in animation when his attention turned to theme parks and television.

I've worked in the arts my entire life in many different areas and can tell you that creative people are some of the most demanding and difficult people you will ever encounter.

Here is a link to some further information that might be of interest:

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/independentspirits/john.html

and this:

http://www.grimsociety.com/archives/disstrke.html
    Last edited by desertdweller; 01-09-2006 at 11:51 AM.

• Plastic Monkey

the mccarthy stuff and the fbi agent claims i heard about years ago.
    im pretty sure ive seen a sections of the huac hearing in a documentary, the archiveal reel is cut and part is missing from what i remember the cut is just before he starts nameing names,

•   
    • Minion

Yes, Walt Disney did cooperate with HUAC... The public transcript of the hearing is public record... You can find it on this link.

Please keep it in context with what was happening in Hollywood at the time and the problem with Blacklisting...

Also keep in mind that it is an ABC reporter Edward Murrow that ended the witch hunt that was going on with HUAC...

ABC now is owned by the Disney Company...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

I heard that at one time Walt felt that the park had too many employees, so he froze a bunch of them and loaded them into starships that looked exactly like Astro Jets and then dropped them in massive piles around the park’s mountains (Space, Matterhorn, etc.) Then he dropped hydrogen bombs into the mountains and caused the former Cast Members’ souls to float away and gather in America Sings and Small World, where he used the attraction soundtracks to implant the “Disney Way” into their memories. Now they float around possessing CMs and guests, turning them into mindless Disney freaks intent on buying cheap trinkets and other useless stuff like Michael Eisner’s book and DCA passes.

Wait... Or am I getting this confused with some other thread...? Can’t remember exactly now, my Body Imagineer is clouding my memory....

• Hooterville, USA

Good reading none the less.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Yeah, Walt, while a good guy, was REEEAAALLLYYY a person you didn't want to screw with, like Captain Gordon in Godzilla Final Wars. But I believe there still is a lot of stuff that's bull, taking things out of proportion.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi
    Yeah, Walt, while a good guy, was REEEAAALLLYYY a person you didn't want to screw with, like Captain Gordon in Godzilla Final Wars. But I believe there still is a lot of stuff that's bull, taking things out of proportion.
    Please clarify the "bull." Many times you can appreciate the visionary and creative person much more knowing what they were really like to work for/with. The real person behind the myths.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Yes, Walt Disney did cooperate with HUAC... The public transcript of the hearing is public record... You can find it on this link.

Please keep it in context with what was happening in Hollywood at the time and the problem with Blacklisting...

Also keep in mind that it is an ABC reporter Edward Murrow that ended the witch hunt that was going on with HUAC...

ABC now is owned by the Disney Company...
    Cellarhound! Where did you find that link? I've never read that before and I've read many disney biographies. I think I read somewhere that he testified, but I had no idea he was that ticked off at the union bosses. He certainly didn't pull any punches in his testimony, and it's easy to see how McCarthyism took off in the 50's. From his testimony, it appears that Walt wasn't out to sell out his animators or other actors in Hollywood. He felt threatened by these guys and was responding to their intimidation. If this stuff was called "Communism" he was going to do everything in his power to bring it down. I also find it interesting that he was still concerned with protecting civil liberties, but viewed Communism and the union takeover of the industry as un-American.

Thanks for the link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast