•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Bye Bye Boo... a tribute to a fur family member....

She came into our home in April of 1994. The shelter thought she was about 4 months old, and had been rescued from a place called Noah's Ark, which was being run by a well meaning but totally overwhelmed person. Today they would of been called a horder. For a while I had a picture of her that had run in the local paper, she and another pup being held by one of the shelter workers. That wasn't the reason for my trip to the shelter, but its one of the memories I have.

We had just had one of our other dogs, who had lived to be around 18 put down. Our remaining dog, Muffit, which we had also got has a puppy, seemed lost since she had never really known life without another dog. She would sit in the middle of the living room, staring at us since her buddy Rusty was gone. So off to the shelter I went.

I have always held to the thought that you don't pick a dog... the dog picks you. It had happened that way some years before with Muff, as when I went to look at her all the other dogs came up, looked at me and when back to lay in the shade... except for the one I came back the next day and got, who sat right at the edge of the fence, never taking her eyes off of me.

So this time I wandered the kennels and outdoor pens, looking at all the various dogs available. In one cage outside alone was a shephardy looking mutt, and I thought it looked like the one I had seen in the paper. I looked at her, she looked at me and I wandered off looking at all the other dogs. Then I came back.... then wandered some more. And while it wasn't the exact same thing that had happened with the previous dog, there was something that drew me back again to the same cage.

But... I needed backup. When my daughter got out of school I took her to the shelter. She wandered around and I showed her the dog... she wanted one of the chocolate labs in another cage, but I kept taking her back to the black and tan pup. Eventually I convinced her that this was the dog we were going to take home, and that I would even let her name it if she went along with me.

On the way home I was thanked for giving her a home by having the back seat of my car barfed on.

And has time went on, she became daughters dog.... her Boomer.... her's that she actually gave a very long name too (Boomer boombastic spring loaded kitty dog) but who mostly just got called Boo, or Boo Snoodles or Boo Dog....

But years traveled on, and the time again came for a life well lived to complete its run. That happened on Saturday, Feb. 2nd while I was in Disneyland for the anniversary meet. Thankfully, hubby didn't tell me anything about it until I got home on Monday.

So after living and being a part of the family for 19 years, I figured she needed some kind of a tribute for her years of loyal devotion... and that is what follows....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Bye Bye Boo... a tribute to a fur family member....

That was just marvelous and beautiful!

Hugs to you and your family for your loss. She lived a long life and was so loved as can be seen by the photos.

• sleepy lagoon

Jody.... I am so sorry for your loss.

This is a beautiful, touching tribute to a beloved friend and family member.

Warm hugs and my love to you all.

• Never give in.

Jody, I swear you are the most wonderfulest person ever. And now I'm crying, and I can't type.

So awesome. Love you
    ♥ "Don't care about all the pain in front of me
    'Cause I'm just trying to be happy." ♥

• Goofy

penguinsoda, i am sorry to hear about your loss. hugs to you penguinsoda.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm so sorry for your loss Jody. Boomer had a great mommy and great pet/human siblings.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Somewhere there is a heaven for dogs. Or they romp along with the humans who cared for them, when their time comes as well.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• world class bilge rat

I am so sorry for your loss, Pengy.

That dog had an incredibly good life at your home though, and the treasured memories will live on forever.

Love ya lots,
    Rob

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

It's a fact of life that we most often outlive our pets. I don't mourn their loss, for their lives were well-lived, and they gave us great comfort for the short time they were with us. The most recent passing (a few years ago, now) was a cat that lived with us for nearly 20 years.

Nice tribute, Jody.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Under that tree again!

Sorry Jody.

• Selfie Expert

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jody. She clearly lived a long and happy life. It's so awful losing a pet, I had to put my young cat (about 3 years old) last year and it tore me apart that he was taken so soon. You were lucky to have her for so long, and she was just as blessed to have you. I hope your heart heals quickly, though it will ache for some time. You will always carry her with you.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Lucky doggie to have been loved so well. I'm sorry for your loss (I cry every time, even hearing about someone else's pup). **hugs**
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Grim Grinning

I'm so sorry momma! Beautiful tribute and just like Ashley, I'm sittin here crying now.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

What a wonderful tribute to your sweet Boo. Losing our furry kids is next to impossible, but this bond we have with them is chock full of some of the most unconditional love humans can experience! I'm so sorry for your loss.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Sock Puppet

when we lost Kodiak. someone sent my dad this poem..

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    Author unknown...

sorry pengy..