Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• -

Re: My style is darkly twisted, soul I wear this to the park?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamkins1985 View Post
    ...Again I'm Gothic ...
    ...I'm not a goth...
    ? I'm confused.
    The catch is it is not clear what is offensive.
    This is something the Supreme Court has struggled with for decades. I can point you to several cases where they tried to interpret it and come up with standards. One of my favorites was Justice Potter Stewart's "I know it when I see it" standard.

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that. - Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964),
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    ? I'm confused.

Okay, well I guess I should explain. Sometimes I do wear goth clothes depending on my mood. Most Days I wear normal clothes. So I'm not one way all the time. I guess the reason why I thought Bat Day was interesting because it is different. And I like the concept of them being let into the park. Because darkness is their style and it is part of their self expression and to say someone can't wear skulls and dark things is kinda silly, especially if it is part of their culture. The reason why I would be a part of something like that would support them. Trust me, I've seen people make no so nice remarks to me when I dress like that(again not ever day,most like when I'm feeling a certain way) And I think it is very wrong for certain groups like goths or people with darker styles not to be allowed in places such as Disney just because it is considered well evil or dark or whatever the case may be.

So, Yeah if a person wanted to call me a goth thats okay... But, I don't live like that.

I would like to though.... But, I like wearing other things as well.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

OMG They have a Bats Day? That is AWESOME I'm so interested.. I knew nothing about this! Thanks for telling me!
    Yes, they do. It's been going on for about..14 yrs now. Last year was my first year attending, and I'll be there again this year. A close friend and I go full Victorian Gothic...full skirts, bustles, hats, corsets...the whole nine yards. But, all the genres are there. From "baby bats" to "elder bats", cyber goths, steampunks, they are all there. It's a great time..about 4,000 showed up last year. Look it up on Facebook...Bat's day in the fun park. There are talks about starting one in WDW...although, no date is definite yet. You can probably find a few trip reports from Mcer's who have gone. I drooled over it and dreamed about going until last yr, when I finally got my chance. If you ever have the chance..you really should go.

• Metro-Retro Historian

As a decidedly "non-square" person, I say go for it. I've worn worse. Here's pretty much how it goes.

Look, you've probably been at this being weird thing for a while and are used to turning heads. The only difference is that with the subconscious comfort level that Disney creates, people will be way less subtle about it. They'll even point you out to others in their party like you're some sort of subversive face character. Heck, you might even get some people ask if they can get their picture taken with you.

As for it being too grotesque for kids, the kids who are young enough to be scared by it are going to be way too distracted by all the Disney Magic(tm) going on all around them to even notice. The only people you have to be worried about are fiercely old fashioned old people, who you probably already know how to deal with, and Disney Cast members. Should a cast member care enough to tell you to turn it inside out, you probably should. At least for a little while. You probably don't want to push it and get kicked out though. Fashion isn't that important.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Ok so after reading the OP comments... it seems that the OP actually has NO intention of going to the parks, and is simply sharing art that they know to be controversial, and was hoping for a debate.

End of discussion.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Ok so after reading the OP comments... it seems that the OP actually has NO intention of going to the parks, and is simply sharing art that they know to be controversial, and was hoping for a debate.
    Yep that is true, and I do have intention of going... just not any time soon. Right now I don't have the money and it is still a dream of mine.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Yep that is true, and I do have intention of going... just not any time soon. Right now I don't have the money and it is still a dream of mine.
    So you were posting just to spark a debate?!

No a conversation.

Its not like I don't plan to go, in fact I plan on going with my lover in the next two years.

Truth is rather or not people like this about me, I think or random questions and random situations in my head based on things I've thought about doing.

Which leads to me wanting answers to the questions I'm thinking about. Like if I question anything at all my mind isn't settled unless I have an answer.

It seems like the questions I do ask that I really want answers to makes people mad. I don't know why, I'm just wanting answers to random things I question. And trust me I question everything.

So more or less, I keep planing out situations in my mind and I wonder what other people would do.

There is a differences between a debate, argument, and a conversation. No one is arguing about anything, this is a question about opinions so there for its a conversation. If it was debate people would be rude to each other and there would be name calling which is against the rules.

I'm asking for opinions which is different. And everyone is in fact entitled to their own opinions, it is called freedom of speech which is within the United States condition which pretty much over rides everything else. But, we will not go there.

This not debate, it is really a question to what my mind has pondered about.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Just my two cents...but I don't think there's anything wrong with OP asking a "what if" question. It gets people talking, and gives them something new to think about. It's not her responsibility if people don't control their words or feelings. Everyone should be able to have a perfectly sensible conversation without turning it into a knock down, drag out fight. It was a question...how you answer it..is on your head..not OP's.

• ..but you can call me Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post

As for it being too grotesque for kids, the kids who are young enough to be scared by it are going to be way too distracted by all the Disney Magic(tm) going on all around them to even notice.
    Respectfully, I don't agree with this. When you are in line you see the same people over and over again in an up close situation. If my 3 year old granddaughter saw this on someone I think she would notice it and be disturbed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    Just my two cents...but I don't think there's anything wrong with OP asking a "what if" question. It gets people talking, and gives them something new to think about. It's not her responsibility if people don't control their words or feelings. Everyone should be able to have a perfectly sensible conversation without turning it into a knock down, drag out fight. It was a question...how you answer it..is on your head..not OP's.
    I agree with this.

• is poppin' tags

I guess the reason why I'm asking is the person I am with grandmother had a problem with people wearing even shirts with skulls on them she says it is non-Christian and gang related.
    I lol'ed at this. Skulls?! hahaha There are skulls all over the place at Disneyland...not just POTC, but in Snow White's Scary Adventure too. Shhesh. There used to be a GIANT skull rock in Fantasyland. PUh-Leez. If skulls scare you, you have some serious issues and the world is going to offend you no matter what. What does this person do when they see x-rays of a human head?! I have never heard of something so preposterous.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

•   

PROS: Personally I find the shirt amusing, I'm a zombie fan myself. Overall it doesn't seem disrespectful.

CONS: I agree with Swampy, KingEric and SBK1243. If you have to ask if it's <whatever the topic> then it's probably because it is and deep down you kind of know it. In this case the <whatever> is the shirt's subject material. The fact that it's unlicensed doesn't really bother me much, I've worn unlicensed shirts into the parks before. ( I wish Disney sold an official Tron:Legacy with Daft Punk shirt but they don't! ) In that respect, the licensing issue doesn't bug me but it may bug park management.

The only shirts that have ever gotten under my skin weren't even the ones with intentionally offensive words on them, it was the ones that outright disrespected Disney. Shirts with a cholo version of Mickey Mouse wearing a bandana and flipping people off. The person wearing that thinks they're pretty cool, maybe even thinks others look at them with admiration. I've seen it firsthand. I've also seen people firsthand tell that person just what they think of their obvious lack of personal standards. It doesn't make them cool, it just makes them big jerks who advertise their general disrespect for the park and Disney himself IMHO.

As for the Snow White shirt? Nah, it doesn't seem bad, but you'll always find people who think it was disrespectful in it's own way.

In short, if you have to ask it's because your parents raised you properly and you still have a conscience.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123