Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• love my friends

Re: Northridge Earthquake: 12 years later

I lived in canada at the time (I now live here in so cal).. I remmeber the news.. BOY it was so aweful

I just hope I NEVER LIVE Though the experience of a earthquake this bad

I have expereienced a few wsince moving here.. and I PRAY I never experience one this bad

Friends for life

• horsin' around!

wow...how weird is that that at the top of this page is the banner for World Vision asking for aid for 'earthquake victims' is that random or is there a connection???

• Earth Intruder

I lived with my parents about 2 miles from the epicenter of the quake, which was supposedly Roscoe and Reseda Blvd (right where Northridge Medical Center is).

My ceiling fan came off the ceiling and landed on my bed (with me in it). My bookshelves, which were bolted into the 2X4s, ripped out of the walls and my room (and the room next to mine) started falling into the garage underneath. It was quite freaky since my room was tilted and all the books made it difficult to open the door and get out.

My parents and my brother were there too -- we are lucky we didn't run outside right away since the roof tiles were sliding down off the house and sticking inches deep into the ground all over the place (cheap *** contractor). One of the buildings in my grandmother's condo complex (1 mile away by CSUN) had a gas leak and exploded, and I remember rushing out there to find her.

Everything in my parents house broke.... there wasn't one piece of furniture that wasn't marred or destroyed, there wasn't one statue, piece of artwork, etc. that made it through. My mom had this curio cabinet with Lladro pieces in it that was bolted into the walls, and the thing crashed right through the dining room chair and broke the table.

I've probably told this story on here before, but every mug, dish, etc. broke in the house except for one that said "I Survived Earthquake at Universal Studios!" ... very odd
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I lived with my parents about 2 miles from the epicenter of the quake, which was supposedly Roscoe and Reseda Blvd (right where Northridge Medical Center is).

My ceiling fan came off the ceiling and landed on my bed (with me in it). My bookshelves, which were bolted into the 2X4s, ripped out of the walls and my room (and the room next to mine) started falling into the garage underneath. It was quite freaky since my room was tilted and all the books made it difficult to open the door and get out.

My parents and my brother were there too -- we are lucky we didn't run outside right away since the roof tiles were sliding down off the house and sticking inches deep into the ground all over the place (cheap *** contractor). One of the buildings in my grandmother's condo complex (1 mile away by CSUN) had a gas leak and exploded, and I remember rushing out there to find her.

Everything in my parents house broke.... there wasn't one piece of furniture that wasn't marred or destroyed, there wasn't one statue, piece of artwork, etc. that made it through. My mom had this curio cabinet with Lladro pieces in it that was bolted into the walls, and the thing crashed right through the dining room chair and broke the table.

I've probably told this story on here before, but every mug, dish, etc. broke in the house except for one that said "I Survived Earthquake at Universal Studios!" ... very odd
    WOw that is soo strange isnt it??????

Friends for life

• horsin' around!

I lost my home in the Loma Prieta earthquake..a day before my son's 1st birthday...its about all i want to remember about ANY earthquake..

• no flash photography...

well, the house shook...i half awoke and thought...great it's an earthquake...I was just falling back to sleep when my mother came sreaming in my room saying I had to go downstairs, because my room was going to fall in the garage...yeah...right...i said "it would have fell already!"...this made her scream more and I was very tired for the rest of the day from lack of sleep...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Was it only 12 years ago? I've felt a lot of moderate quakes having lived in norther California all my life. The worst quake experience I had was one centered in Oroville, about 25 miles from where I lived at the time. The gold rush era building I was in at the time shook like an old trailer on a bad road, but damage was minimal. We did not cancel our plans to visit the dam at Lake Oroville the next day, but we did stay away from downtown where the heaviest damage was. Service was a little slow that night in a nearby restaurant, as the waitress kept calling home to check on her kids after every aftershock.

But I have no stories to compare with yours. I was totally shocked when I saw the collapsed overpasses on TV.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad

But I have no stories to compare with yours. I was totally shocked when I saw the collapsed overpasses on TV.
    I live bu that overpass. (about 30 minutes from it). It was really odd driving past it until t was fixed. Thats the only freeway we ahve to get "down below" (the valleys). I guess we could go out the 138, but that road is very dangerous.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

It took me a long time after they re-built that overpass to not feel panic whenever I was sitting still on it during traffic. Even just driving straight through, I would just kind of hold my breath until I reached the other side.

• Circle of Ancients

I didn't know we were talking about the Loma quake too ...

I was actually at the game with my Grandfather. He lived in Auburn, CA (50 east of Sacto). It took us close to 8 hours to get back home. THAT was freaky but I still think Northridge was scarier.

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I didn't know we were talking about the Loma quake too ...

I was actually at the game with my Grandfather. He lived in Auburn, CA (50 east of Sacto). It took us close to 8 hours to get back home. THAT was freaky but I still think Northridge was scarier.

they wern't talking about loma quake.. i butted in w/ my own memory! lol
    my bad :-)

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

4:31am, imo.

I was a freshman in high school. I remember waking up thinking my mom was shaking me by the shoulders to try to get me up because I was late for school or something. But it was the earthquake that was moving me around. I remember jumping out of bed and going to the door and watching my bookshelf open up and fall. All my freaking books and cd's just crashed. I remember hearing other stuff in the house breaking too, like the dishes in the kitchen, pictures in the hallway, etc. What was freaky was that I remember looking down the hallway from my room and actually SEEING the floor move in a wave like motion. Omg. It made me sick. And it lasted FOREVER. Omg. I had time to watch everything happen, sit down on the floor, brace myself, watch the waves move the ground and call out to my mom during the quake that I was OK and not to move until it was over. Remember that? How it shook REALLY hard for like 15 seconds and then slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlly, almost like a rocking chair it came to an end. Omg. It scared the living daylights out of me. My mom ran to my room and my dad was in his office down the hallway at the time and he was like, "UMMMMMMMM....WE HAVE NO MORE WATER IN OUR POOL!!!"

hahahah

Ugh. That was so crazy. And I remember going outside afterwards to see how our neighboors were and seeing dead birds that had fallen from the power lines when there was a power surge, alllllllllllll over the street. And car alarms going on, house alarms, everything.

We turned on the news and the newscasters were trying to compose themselves. While we were watching them, about an hour later there was a huge aftershock. Our garage had a HUGE crack in it.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pixywingz
    they wern't talking about loma quake.. i butted in w/ my own memory! lol
    my bad :-)
    Sorry pixy - can't have you take the blame (if there is any) alone for that...I mentioned it in my post also...
    and now we return you to your previously scheduled earthquake...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12