• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Flight diverted after family raises concerns over PG-13 inflight movie...

Flight diverted after family raises concerns over PG-13 inflight movie...

"We asked if the captain has the authority to address this issue, but received no response," the family said. "Throughout these interactions the atmosphere was collegial, no voices were raised and no threats, implicit or explicit, of any kind were made. The flight continued without incident, while my wife and I engaged our children to divert their attention from the horrific scenes on the movie screens."

But shortly after that, the captain announced the flight was being diverted to a Chicago airport due to "security concerns."
    When the family disembarked, they were questioned by law enforcement officials then booked on a new flight.

"United flight 638 from Denver to Baltimore diverted to Chicago O'Hare after the crew reported a disturbance involving a passenger," United Airlines told FoxNews.com. "The flight landed without incident and the customers were removed from the aircraft. We reaccommodated the customers on the next flight to Baltimore and have since conducted a full review of our inflight entertainment."

The family argues the captain overreacted to the incident.

• Goofy

Re: Flight diverted after family raises concerns over PG-13 inflight movie...

so dumb in my opinoin
    Last edited by Rex Dopey24; 04-05-2013 at 04:54 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

But their kids were being subjected to PG THIRTEEN the horror!

• Goofy

oh. they could have at least turn off the monitor off. now days what do they have on planes? sorry if im coming off as a little ignorant here. wow its looney world these days. i guess we have to be more careful on what we say. both sides dont need to feel this inconviences at all. oh well it is what it is.

Although I don't think it was right for them to be kicked off (based on the information given by the articles I have read.), it was not like the kids could hear the sound of the film. I wonder if their parents brought them things to entertain them with (I.e. books or a portable DvD player or tablet device.) or if they expected the airline to entertain them.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Should the airline have turned the movie off for everyone on board, to make this one family happy, or were they right to make an emergency landing and kick them off the plane?

I think the airline was right. The family was asking that everyone else on the plan be inconvenienced to placate them, asked if the pilot could intervene, etc. If I were an airline employee my concern would be that they would continue to be a problem throughout the flight, possibly escalating. Hopefully the diverted landing and questioning brought them a dose of reality.

As far as not wanting their kids to see a PG-13 movie, the airlines post what movies are plaing on their websites well in advance and it's not difficult to bring something else to distract your kids if you don't want them to see what the flight is playing.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Sadly, the tens of thousands of dollars lost from making an unscheduled stop and countless passengers highly inconvenienced were worth it based on the potential lawsuit of those poor kids being subject to witnessing such atrocities on a PG-13 film. <insert eye roll>

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In the good old days they would have moved the family to the back of the plane, behind the drapes with the smokers.