Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MC State Comptroller

FCC and Satellite Radio

I am curious to know how all my fellow Micechaters feel about the possibility of the FCC regulating satellite radio like they do with normal AM and FM radio.

To give a little background, the FCC is holding committee meetings to determine if they should pursue the issue of regulating satellite radio. Since Howard Stern's move to Sirius, the FCC is trying to find a way to regulate both Sirius and XM's airwaves in order to regulate what is heard and to have the ability to level fines if certain things are said. They call it "protecting the public". Are they? Do you think this is a good thing? Should the FCC be able to regulate everything we see and hear? Is this an infringement upon Free Speech?

My personal opinion is that since I have to pay $13.00 a month to subscribe to satellite, and I have to go as far as purchasing and installing the equipment, that it should be my call of what I want to listen to. In my honest opinion I think that there are TOO many limitations on free speech and that I think that regulating what is said and not said on radio, TV, or internet, in the long run, would do more damage to my child than if he heard Howard Stern, or read a playboy, or listened to Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken.

You may not like Stern, or Bubba the love sponge, or even musings of Pat Robertson or Jerry Fallwell, but you should not have the ability to stop other's from listening to them or you could very well set a precedent that will affect what you like to hear.

So MC'rs, let's keep it at a respectable level, but let's debate and remember the First Amendment does not protect speech you like, it protects speech you donít like.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: FCC and Satellite Radio

Howard Stern will hate it thats for sure.

I think FCC needs to leave it alone. Let satelite radio be a place where people can air whatever they want to on Satelite without getting fined.

"Protecting the Public"!!! what do they think I am a brainless person? They don't need to protect me from Jack squat! They are not my parents! They need to know that they are not responsible for having to worry about what I hear.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I think it's silly for the FCC to try to regulate satellite radio. As you pointed out, it's a pay service. It's no different than paying to see uncensored movies on HBO, Showtime or Skinemax. You know what you're getting when you purchase it. Nothing is going out over free public airways.

I'm not a Howard Stern fan, but as Voltaire once said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

heres why I think FFC want's to go after satelite now.....Stern is their money maker. I mean look at it this way, they had no control over satelite before and I find it interesting that now all of a sudden Stern is on satelite, why else would FCC waste their time and efforts to try and censor what is said on satelite radio?

I think FCC is really in it for the money and they know that Howard will have to pay millions of $$$$ in fines if they can censor what is said on satelite radio.

I hope Howard defends the freedom of speech when they start to go after him again. So when they get done censoring everything on the airwaves, what will they try to censor next? My freedom of speech? I don't think so.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

No. No. NO. How many ways to I have to say NO. I like my satellite radio just the way it is thank you. Thats why I actually PAY for the service, no commercials, and what DJ's there are can say what they darn well please. I'm no Howard Stern fan either but I want it left alone thank you very much.

So once again... NO!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MC State Comptroller

What is scary is What's Next?

That is what we should be asking. Even if the FCC does not get their way, what are they going to do next?

Prohibiting any freedoms always starts out slow. "Let them get rid of Stern, i don't like, don't listen to him, don't care." The plan is always restrict the freedom of some minority, not a race in this case, and then before you realize it your freedoms are at stake and the ball has already gained too much momentum to stop. One of my favorite quotes ever, and i am still unsure of who said it, is appropiate here:

"First they took the jews. And I said nothing, because I wasn't a jew.
    Then they took the gays, and I held my mouth shut, because I wasn't gay. Then they came for the handicapped, and still I remained silent, because I was not handicapped.
    Then they came for me... and then there was no one left to speak up."

You may think that they are doing a good thing by fining and censoring certain things, but what are you going to do when there is no one left to speak up?
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper

You may think that they are doing a good thing by fining and censoring certain things, but what are you going to do when there is no one left to speak up?
    If that happens I'm moving to Alaska, Canada, or Europe. Atleast their won't be any egoheaded FFC farts bossing me around.

• Sock Puppet

What good would it do to move to Alaska? That state is also under the FCC.

Anyway, the whole thing is a bunch of bunk. Read here:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5515823.html

There are numerous rumors about the FCC trying take over, trying to eliminate Christian content and trying to do other things. They're all bogus.

If anybody is upset about satellite radio it's pop FM radio. The last thing they want is for people to have choice. Otherwise, why would we listen to the same fifteen, lame pop-tart songs all day? Fewer and fewer people are.

• Banned User

this cannot happen... FCC ragulates things that are in the public Airwaves. AKA: FM, AM, UHF, VHF, and HDTV(over air) they decided to not regulate Cable channels, why regular satelite radio... there is no difference. you pay for the channels... over air is commercial/broadcast and narrorcast is througha limited means that not everyone can get unless they pay.

• Minion

I am a huge Howard Stern fan since DAY ONE in LA. He is the saviour of radio and one of the best interviewers on the airwaves. What you've been listening to in the way of new and different broadcasting on both TV and radio has been due to his pioneering programs.

We keep seeing our first amendment rights being whittled away and most people don't seem to care. Now we have Congress looking at Satellite Radio which they had no interest or concern about until Howard moved over there.

• MC State Comptroller

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    What good would it do to move to Alaska? That state is also under the FCC.

Anyway, the whole thing is a bunch of bunk. Read here:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5515823.html

There are numerous rumors about the FCC trying take over, trying to eliminate Christian content and trying to do other things. They're all bogus.

If anybody is upset about satellite radio it's pop FM radio. The last thing they want is for people to have choice. Otherwise, why would we listen to the same fifteen, lame pop-tart songs all day? Fewer and fewer people are.
    The article you linked to is interesting, but this is serious.

Last week Sen. Ted Stevens, former Appropriations Commitee Chairman, held meetings with other senators, lobbyist's,and L. Brent Bozo..i mean Bozell to discuss passing a "indecency" bill that would cover Satellite, Internet and Cable. They want to see if the FCC can regulate all airways. Anyway that you see, hear or even read ideas, news and other things. Stevens's has avoided a straight comment on this matter but has said that he is interested in protecting "family values" and that Satellite and other forms of media should not be places where those who offend people on public airways go to hide.

I think Stevens, who BTW is a Senator from Alaska, is pandering to the interests of lobbyists who do not want people who they percieve as against the core "family values" that they beleive. This is just another instance of I want to control the way you live to confirm with my own ideas, maybe not the way i live, but the way i want everyone else to live.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Screw Alaska then....I would move to Canada or Europe still.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper
    The article you linked to is interesting, but this is serious.

Last week Sen. Ted Stevens, former Appropriations Commitee Chairman, held meetings with other senators, lobbyist's,and L. Brent Bozo..i mean Bozell to discuss passing a "indecency" bill that would cover Satellite, Internet and Cable. They want to see if the FCC can regulate all airways. Anyway that you see, hear or even read ideas, news and other things. Stevens's has avoided a straight comment on this matter but has said that he is interested in protecting "family values" and that Satellite and other forms of media should not be places where those who offend people on public airways go to hide.

I think Stevens, who BTW is a Senator from Alaska, is pandering to the interests of lobbyists who do not want people who they percieve as against the core "family values" that they beleive. This is just another instance of I want to control the way you live to confirm with my own ideas, maybe not the way i live, but the way i want everyone else to live.
    I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll do some research. I wouldln't get too worked up about it. Things like this rarely get any traction. However, it is a good idea to keep up with it in the unlikely event it does get momentum.

• most magical vaca ever

FCC needs to get a life!

Rock on Howard
    ~~~~~~

• MC State Comptroller

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll do some research. I wouldln't get too worked up about it. Things like this rarely get any traction. However, it is a good idea to keep up with it in the unlikely event it does get momentum.

Right now it is in the private comitte stage. Just like if it was an "informal chat". This is how things seem to start though and that is why i am worried. Sen. Stevens is well known for supporting "family values", which isn't to say that family values are bad. My family has values, just like your family does. But my family may value things differntly than yours does. But Stevens knows to pander to those who wish to twist the first amendment to conform with what they want, and with the addition of Brent Bozell, anything can happen.

I also just found out that Sirius Canada is not carrying the Howard Stern show. People in Canada are activating their membership here just to listen to him. I don't know the full story, but i belive that it has something to do with the typical contents of the show.
    Last edited by sgtpeper; 01-23-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast