View Poll Results: Do You Want Avatarland?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm OK with a violent/smoking film becoming a land

8 57.14%
  • No, Disney shouldn't grab for dollars while promoting child smoking

6 42.86%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Is Avatarland Finished Due to Smoking and Violence?

James Cameron makes good, and sometimes even great, movies. Terminator 2 was groundbreaking, special effects wise, and Avatar also succeeded in setting a high tide mark when it comes to computer generated wizardry. But does Avatar help, or hurt, the Disney brand? Let's face it: Disney has Star Wars and a growing vault of intellectual property that would make even the James Cameron film collection look puny. Plus there is one big controversy that is hard to get around: smoking was prominently featured in Avatar . . . even though the film is set in the future. Sigourney Weaver's character complains, "Where’s my damn cigarette?"

More than just allowing smoking in the film (Disney doesn't do this), the character in question is a hero, cigarettes are viewed as an acceptable way to relieve stress and are sexy to a degree.

On top of the smoking in the film (something which Disney no longer portrays in their films due to the fact that kids, obviously, frequently watch Disney films with great frequency and that smoking in films glamorize smoking and lead to more addictions), there is the macho fight scenes between the aliens and the military. Really, due to the smoking and violence, Avatar should have been rated R.

But it wasn't.

What are parents supposed to say when they take their kids to Animal Kingdom, experience Avatarland . . . and their 10 year old son demands to see Avatar? What if Avatar dulls his wariness about smoking and encourages him to seek out other violent films?

Avatar is similar to a Star Trek episode, in terms of the Sci-Fi, but with grittier characters and lots more action. Does anybody remember the name of the hero? Do little kids play out the Avatar story like Star Wars? Or is Avatar just a violent video game with 17+ material packaged as a movie?

It is obvious why Disney will try to add the possessive, "James Cameron's Avatar: World of Pandora" to the new land's name, to distance itself from a controversial film, while benefitting behind the scenes.

Disney dumped Merida's new image due to fan protest, if you've had a relative die of lung cancer due to smoking (I have) then I would hope that you would write letters to Disney to scrap Avatarland as they are only setting themselves up for a long struggle. Fans were luke warm to the idea to begin with, and companies that pride themselves on doing what is right for kids shouldn't touch this property.

• Heavy Breather

Re: Is Avatarland Finished Due to Smoking and Violence?

I think the main characters name was Jake Sulley, or as the Navi(Hey Listen!!) called him-Jake Sooley.

Smoking is not a theme of Avatar. Avatar has no exclusive on Violence. Jack Sparrow is a drunken womanizing alcoholic and his movies have plenty of Violence to share. While your opinion is fine, Your poll is sharply eschewed to so that one one can answer it with out having a different opinion then that of your own.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Smoking is not a theme of Avatar. Avatar has no exclusive on Violence. Jack Sparrow is a drunken womanizing alcoholic and his movies have plenty of Violence to share. While your opinion is fine,Your poll is sharply eschewed to so that one one can answer it with out having a different opinion then that of your own.
    Exactly.

Meaning no disrespect to the OP, this is a non-poll. It provides no opportunity for people to vote a range of opinions, only to support, directly or indirectly, the opinion of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    ...there is one big controversy that is hard to get around: smoking was prominently featured in Avatar . . . even though the film is set in the future. Sigourney Weaver's character complains, "Where’s my damn cigarette?"
    Having seen Avatar in theaters, DVD and Blu-ray more than a dozen times, having participated in numerous discussion forums about the film in the years since it came out, and having read and participated in every Avatar-related thread on MiceChat, I can assure you that smoking was neither "prominently featured" in the film nor was it a "big controversy." It was a character bit affected by one of the film's co-stars, and was seen briefly with background characters. There was, and is, nothing controversial about it. In fact, this thread is the first I've read in which anyone has even mentioned it.

Now, if one wants to discuss smoking in Avatar, that's a valid topic. My first questions would be, "How do you know that, being so far in the future, the cigarettes in Avatar are composed of unhealthy substances like tobacco?" and "Don't you think it stands to reason that a civilization able to travel to the stars would have long since addressed issues like the dangers of nicotine?"

But beyond that, and speaking as one of this forum's most consistent critics of Disney in general and Avatarland in particular, I think the OP's claim that by building AvatarLand Disney would be "grabbing for dollars while promoting child smoking" is hyperbolic in the extreme.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-16-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I guess they should close the Alice in Wonderland ride in DL because smoking is very prominently featured on that ride.

And while we're at it all parks should close their Dumbo rides because the movie glorifies alcohol consumption.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I guess they should close the Alice in Wonderland ride in DL because smoking is very prominently featured on that ride.

And while we're at it all parks should close their Dumbo rides because the movie glorifies alcohol consumption.
    Not to mention Pinnochio with kids smoking tobacco, vandalizing buildings, and beating up each other in the rough house on Pleasure Island.

• Banned User

Avatar has a good image of handicapped people. It has bad image of the military. I suppose Disney should stop giving military discounts.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Finished? Avatar construction hasnt even begun... Maybe Avatar land is the secret "code name"...cover name for the real land they will be buiding @ Animaal Kingdom.
    This thread "Is Avatarland Finished Due to Smoking and Violence?" is truly writtin in denial of the upcoming land. "NO PLEASE DONT BUILD THIS, IT HAS SMOKING AND VIOLENCE".. Avatar will be built whether MCrs want t or not..

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Having seen Avatar in theaters, DVD and Blu-ray more than a dozen times, having participated in numerous discussion forums about the film in the years since it came out, and having read and participated in every Avatar-related thread on MiceChat, I can assure you that smoking was neither "prominently featured" in the film nor was it a "big controversy." It was a character bit affected by one of the film's co-stars, and was seen briefly with background characters. There was, and is, nothing controversial about it. In fact, this thread is the first I've read in which anyone has even mentioned it.
    Well, you might want to read stuff outside of the forums as smoking in films is controversial and Avatar was controversial in this respect.

Avatar and Smoking Controversy - Great Entertainment
    Avatar Is Smoking, in More Ways than One

Disney has banned smoking in their films using the Disney name, and smoking in media and the affect on teenagers has alredy been studied.

Now, if one wants to discuss smoking in Avatar, that's a valid topic. My first questions would be, "How do you know that, being so far in the future, the cigarettes in Avatar are composed of unhealthy substances like tobacco?" and "Don't you think it stands to reason that a civilization able to travel to the stars would have long since addressed issues like the dangers of nicotine?"
    A lot of the hundreds of carcinogens and dangerous chemicals in cigarettes come from inhaling combustion products, doubt this will ever be 100% safe. E-cigarettes have less adverse health effects but they also addict kids to nicotine, and when all they have available to smoke is traditional cigarettes, then they will use those. And of course pure nicotine is not 100% safe. Of course, the issue isn't whether in the future cigarettes are safe, but that kids who live in the present much more likely than not see Weaver's character as simply a smoker.

But beyond that, and speaking as one of this forum's most consistent critics of Disney in general and Avatarland in particular, I think the OP's claim that by building AvatarLand Disney would be "grabbing for dollars while promoting child smoking" is hyperbolic in the extreme.
    I think that if you were aware of the public health issues concerning smoking, you'd agree that smoking in films is a problem. Disney themselves bans smoking in films, under the Disney label, and I think they highly discourage it under other labels. At the first least, whatever your degree of understanding of science, you'd agree that Disney is being hypocritical with Avatarland, which they have partially disowned by calling it, "James Cameron's Avatar: The World of Pandora".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    Finished? Avatar construction hasnt even begun... Maybe Avatar land is the secret "code name"...cover name for the real land they will be buiding @ Animaal Kingdom.
    This thread "Is Avatarland Finished Due to Smoking and Violence?" is truly writtin in denial of the upcoming land. "NO PLEASE DONT BUILD THIS, IT HAS SMOKING AND VIOLENCE".. Avatar will be built whether MCrs want t or not..
    Avatarland has hit some snags in development, and there have been some behind the scene conflicts. Disney already has enough of a reason to pull the plug.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Is it? I know they took out the smoking caterpillar that used to sit on the mushroom on the outside.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Not to mention Pinnochio with kids smoking tobacco, vandalizing buildings, and beating up each other in the rough house on Pleasure Island.
    Per Disney's own rules, if they made Pinnochio today, it wouldn't have smoking in it.

But comparing smoking in Pinnochio and Avatar reveals some differences, namely that Weaver's character uses smoking to relieve stress, and she is a villain, whereas in Pinocchio the smoking is clearly tied into bad behavior.

Of course, all smoking in films is bad, but the various watch-dog groups do rate the damage done by smoking in a given film.

• Banned User

You could also argue that because characters are smoking in the future, that science discovers that smoking in healthy for you, (along with bacon and fatty foods, like that Woody Allen film). Sounds like a tobacco company's wet dream.

There is even the issue of second-hand smoke, something that Weaver's character doesn't give a dam about.

• Senior Minion

I think that if you were aware of the public health issues concerning smoking, you'd agree that smoking in films is a problem.
    A broken bit of logic, that: you assume I am not aware of the public health issues related to smoking (an incorrect assumption), then from it deduce an incorrect conclusion.

At the first least, whatever your degree of understanding of science, you'd agree that Disney is being hypocritical with Avatarland, which they have partially disowned by calling it, "James Cameron's Avatar: The World of Pandora".
    Again, the same broken assumption/deduction logic chain. In fact, I think Disney is being hypocritical with AvatarLand, but not for the reasons you suggest.

If I may respectfully suggest, the form of argument you're following is unlikely to gain you converts to the already hyperbolic claims of this thread (or indeed to the arguments of any thread in which it is applied).

But by all means, please, don't mind me -- do carry on.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Maybe, just maybe, Avatarland is going to be the biggest, baddest, shiniest smoking section ever imagineered by Disney.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast