Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Loaded Gun on DAK Ride

Quote Originally Posted by VernonP View Post
    The day after 'the gun incident' we went to DAK and went through the "Guests Without Bags" area. We had water bottles and rain ponchos in our cargo short pockets. The guards at the GWB area asked what was in our pockets. After pulling out the 'bulky' items they let us in.
    Ah! There's the loophole!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Generally people carry concealed weapons for personal protection. A weapon is effective as a deterrent to an attacker by 1) the attacker(s) no longer press home the attack due to simply seeing a gun (looking down a gun barrel is not a pleasant experience), 2) firing the gun and stopping the attack by wounding or scaring off (a miss) the attacker, or 3) stopping the attacker with the physical force of the round. The latter sort of incidents are generally with those attackers under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. The use of hollow points in a .380 is to increase the actual stopping power of what is otherwise a marginal round for personal defense.

Regardless of the type of bullet, losing track of one's sidearm, especially in the situation described is very serious. For a CCW carrier I suspect this will mean revocation of the permit. Of course, it depends on the state and the judgement of the local (issuing) sheriff.

There are some bad people in this world. They have legal access to weapons. They bring them to Disney to feel like big, bad guys but, when found out, apologize profusely? Is he that stupid or is he a sociopath who glibly explains away deviant behavior.

In the commentary track on Roger Rabbit it's mentioned that Mickey can't be shown hurting anyone (though Bugs Bunny can). I don't think Mickey wants this "guest" back again. Walt wanted to give us a chance to get away from the nastiness of beachfront amusement parks, not bring it in with us, like this or the Main Street folks at Disneyland bringing in the aura of Los Angeles street gangs...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

You people are ridiculous. This isn't about some crazy person who went out and bought a gun and brought it to the park, this is a man who is LICENSED to carry a weapon, someone who has been trained how to operate and safely carry a firearm.

Have you never lost something at the parks? What about something you haven't seen since that morning when you put it on?

I blame American media for making people so terrified of guns. CM should have treated it just like any other found item on a ride. Instead, people just about have a panic attack when they see a gun. Just remember, if a crazy *** decidedes to do something terrible inside the parks one day, people like this properly trained man carrying a firearm within the full extent of the law, may be there to save lives.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    You people are ridiculous. This isn't about some crazy person who went out and bought a gun and brought it to the park, this is a man who is LICENSED to carry a weapon, someone who has been trained how to operate and safely carry a firearm.

Have you never lost something at the parks? What about something you haven't seen since that morning when you put it on?

I blame American media for making people so terrified of guns. CM should have treated it just like any other found item on a ride. Instead, people just about have a panic attack when they see a gun. Just remember, if a crazy *** decidedes to do something terrible inside the parks one day, people like this properly trained man carrying a firearm within the full extent of the law, may be there to save lives.
    It has nothing to do with the media creating fear. It has to do with the fact that it's illegal to take a weapon of any kind into Disneyland. They don't even let you take scissors, like fingernail clipping scissors in Disneyland because they could be used as a weapon. This person not only took a weapon into Disneyland, but he didn't have it locked, had it loaded, and was careless with his handling of it. If a child had picked up the gun and shot it, and was injured, killed, or someone else was injured or killed, it would be a more serious matter. Treating a weapon like any other lost n found item (purses, money, etc) is stupid because it shouldn't have been there in the first place. That's like saying someone could take a bomb into a Disney Park just because they are a member of a bomb squad, and if left behind it should be returned to them.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    It has nothing to do with the media creating fear. It has to do with the fact that it's illegal to take a weapon of any kind into Disneyland. They don't even let you take scissors, like fingernail clipping scissors in Disneyland because they could be used as a weapon. This person not only took a weapon into Disneyland, but he didn't have it locked, had it loaded, and was careless with his handling of it.
    Full of wrong.

1) It wasn't disneyland - It was Animal Kingdom in Florida
    2) It's not illegal to carry a weapon into the parks - but the park can deny you entry and service. Worst that can happen is they ask you to leave, you don't, and you could be held for tresspass.
    3) Having a gun loaded is not careless - having it chambered would be a different story, but it's not careless to holster a weapon loaded. A weapon can be dropped, even when holstered.
    4) A child would have to actually manipulate the weapon to make it fire. That includes disabling the safety, chambering a round, and then pulling the trigger.

Yes, it has a lot to do with fear... because obviously people like you have picked up on the story and ran with it without knowing the basics.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    That's like saying someone could take a bomb into a Disney Park just because they are a member of a bomb squad, and if left behind it should be returned to them.
    If you have a legally granted license to carry and conceal a bomb on your person at all times then I think it would be ok. But I am pretty sure those licenses do not exist.

And also a "member of a bomb squad", as you put it, would deactivate devices, not produce them. Guns are not only legal, to own them is a constitutional right for every citizen of this country. BOMBS, however, are illegal to posses, manufacture, or sell in every state.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I'm not arguing for or against carrying or even possessing a weapon. I'm just saying I'd have it holstered to secure it from this kind of thing from ever happening. I don't have a conceal carry permit nor do I even own a gun but I'd hope they'd teach that the gun needs to be secured at all times while in your possession. To me, that means keeping a gun in a holster which is secured to the body, and not in a pocket.
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, we don't do political or religious on MiceChat, except in the Gold Debate Lounge. Unfortunately this thread topic is next to impossible to discuss without some of the comments becoming political, so this thread is closed. If you are a premium Gold member of MiceChat and wish to continue the discussion, it will have to be done over in Debate.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234