• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Red Face Most Shameful McDonald’s Locations Worldwide

Most Shameful McDonald’s Locations Worldwide

Do We Really Need a McDonald's Here?

For those of you who have traveled abroad, are you embarrassed to eat at McDonald's while overseas? Or do you seek it out?

What do you think of McDonald's restaurants taking up space in these historic buildings?

Re: Most Shameful McDonald’s Locations Worldwide

I don't seek it out but I have eaten at McDonald's in Paris. We were walking around all day, were hungry, it was one block up so we ate there. There were a lot of locals eating there so I didn't feel bad. Other than the Hard Rock Café it was the only "American" place I ate at so I didn't feel guilty or weird at all.

I do feel kind of bad when they are in a historic building as they ruin the aesthetic but to be honest if it wasn't McDonald's it would be another eatery, American or otherwise, and would look just as garish.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

There's really only one other fast food in France, Quick. To say it would be another fast food corporation, I'd have to say: More likely not. A bar or a cafe' maybe.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

So a bar or cafe would be all right in these buildings? The pictures in question all seemed to show that the McDonald's architects took the surroundings into account and came up with as tasteful a design as is possible when your logo is a pair of golden arches. Would the author of the article be as offended if it was a flashy clothing chain? Looking at the other source material on the site, I think the author's outrage is more about the fact that it is fast food.

A bit off the original topic, but what I find to be a more shameful placement of McDonalds or any other fast food restaurant is as the main nutritional choice for visitors in a hospital. I can't tell you how many times I've seen hospitals partner with McD, BK or Wendy's as their primary food provider for non-patients. The hospital cafeterias only run for limited hours, so the only choice is high calorie, high fat, high sodium fast food.

Don't get me wrong. I love a good fast food burger and fries as much as the next red-blooded American. But that is my choice. I look at all the restaurants available and decide to go for the greaseball special. When fast food is your only option... well I don't like it. Make all the arguments you want about the new healthy menu at many of these chains. The average American will choose the nutritionally deficient burger over the salad wrap most of the time.

That is one thing I like about our local hospital. They took out the fast food restaurant and put in a well stocked automat with salads, fruit, veggies and other healthy options. Yes, they also have processed lunch meat subs and microwavable burritos, but at least the predominance of the food presented is healthy and tasty options.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!