Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: LA sightseeing for a first timer - help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink Wink
    LA Farmer's Market. I remember it has many little restaurants and
    stores. Is it located near the LaBrea Tar Pits?
    Is it worth a visit to see the Tar Pits?
    Yes, it's my first post but I couldn't resist 'cause the topic is close to my heart. I'm a part-time tour guide around Los Angele and Hollywood so here's a few recommendations.

Yes, Tink Wink, the La Brea Tar Pits are cool but very tame and won't take up much time: www.tarpits.org. They are on Wilshire near Fairfax, east of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The Farmer's Market at 3rd and Fairfax is fantastic and it sits right next door to The Grove shopping mall and CBS Television City.

As for visiting the Roosevelt Hotel to see the historic Hollywood display on the second floor, don't. It was removed several months ago in the Roosevelt's effort to become more "hip" to the local club crowd. Instead, I'd suggest going to the Hollywood History Museum which is housed in the former Max Factor building on Highland near Hollywood Boulevard. It houses complete sets from Silence of the Lambs, loads of costumes and props as well as special rotating selections of Barbra and Mae West memorobilia. www.thehollywoodmuseum.com

And because it's me and I adore downtown Los Angeles and neon signage, why not take an hour to go to the Museum of Neon Art (MONA)? They've got the original Brown Derby neon rooftop sign from the Hollywood and Vine location as well as other, flashy vintage signs from across the country. They mix up their collection and dedicate half their space to contemporary, electrical artwork as well. www.neonmona.org

To bad your friend won't be touring Los Angeles Monday the 6th as the Fashion Institute of Design Merchandising (FIDM) next door to MONA will open its doors for the 14th annual film costume exhibition. The best of the last year in film costuming will be on display for Academy voters to see the quality of outfits and materials in person. This year will have the five Oscar nominees as well as other costumes that I'm itching to see like "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and models and sketches from "Corpse Bride". The museum exhibit is free and a must-see. www.fidm.edu

Have fun!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: LA sightseeing for a first timer - help!

Well here's our itinerary (as of today, this may change depending on time constraints and all that jazz):

Friday - drive down to Long Beach in the morning at some point, deal with traffic and go to the Queen Mary. Then I'll drive back to the Beverly Hills area via a portion of PCH to Sunset Blvd., toodle around there, head to Hollywood and do dinner at Musso and Frank or Micelis depending on which he prefers, walk around Hollywood Blvd and then if we're not too tired, head to WeHo and walk around there.

Saturday - Disneyland. Nuff said I made us Blue Bayou "reservations" for 12:40 for lunch.

Sunday - he leaves out of LAX around 1:30 so I figure we can grab a burger at In N Out or something before he leaves.

Thanks everyone for your great ideas! If he was here longer we'd surely do many of your suggestions!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12