Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

LA sightseeing for a first timer - help!

OK, I have a friend arriving a week from today and he's never been to LA. We are doing D-land that Saturday all day, so that gives us one day (Friday) for me to show him around since he leaves Sunday late morning.

He wants to go to the Queen Mary, so we'll do that for a few hours, and he wants to drive around and see the big mansions of Beverly Hills and walk around Hollywood Blvd and if we have time, see WeHo.

My question is, where in B.H. should I drive him? Is there like a nice easy drive around B.H. that I can take? I am assuming somewhere around Sunset Blvd but I never drive around that part of town up and down streets looking at houses so I have no idea really where to go. Maybe just drive along Mulholland Dr?

For dinner I was pondering Musso & Frank or Micelis (thanks to a certain special Micechatter for the tip). Anyone else have thoughts about those 2 places?

Anyone have any other ideas? Remember all this will have to be after the Queen Mary (probably after 4pm) and not too late because we have to get up and head to Anaheim Saturday.

• Minion

Re: LA sightseeing for a first timer - help!

I was going to suggest checking L.A. Conservancy http://www.laconservancy.org/ and their wonderful walking tours but then I noticed your time element.

Musso & Frank's would be a great choice, a little on the expensive side but so historic and really good.

I'd pick up a Guide to the Stars map and plan a little tour from that. Also a pass through Century City which is the former 20th Century Fox backlot. You get a glimpse of the studio west of Avenue of the Stars before you get to Pico Blvd and I believe the mammoth NYC set from "Hello Dolly" is still standing.

Mulholland Drive is spectacular on a very clear day or night. Not a lot of historical interest as far as homes and architecture. I'd do one of the canyons instead or perhaps go a little into Bel Air (Stone Canyon entrance off Sunset Blvd.) for a glimpse of some great estates and perhaps a drink at the Bel Air Hotel.

So much to do, so little time! Have fun.

Addition: If you walk Hollywood Blvd. be sure to do The Chinese and El Capitain Theaters which are neighbors and check out the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Recently renovated and one of the major hot spots in town. Shirley Temple danced on the staircase there in one of her films. Also the site of the first Academy Awards Ceremony.
    Last edited by desertdweller; 01-26-2006 at 04:17 PM.

• For old time sake

I would suggest the Getty!!! I drove some friends down Rodeo Drive, which seemed to be fun for them,. Also took them to Hollywood and Highland and ther Mann's Chinese Theater
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    OK, I have a friend arriving a week from today and he's never been to LA. We are doing D-land that Saturday all day, so that gives us one day (Friday) for me to show him around since he leaves Sunday late morning.

He wants to go to the Queen Mary, so we'll do that for a few hours, and he wants to drive around and see the big mansions of Beverly Hills and walk around Hollywood Blvd and if we have time, see WeHo.

My question is, where in B.H. should I drive him? Is there like a nice easy drive around B.H. that I can take? I am assuming somewhere around Sunset Blvd but I never drive around that part of town up and down streets looking at houses so I have no idea really where to go. Maybe just drive along Mulholland Dr?

For dinner I was pondering Musso & Frank or Micelis (thanks to a certain special Micechatter for the tip). Anyone else have thoughts about those 2 places?
    B.H. is easy Rodeo Drive @ Wilshire, One Rodeo (Tiffany on the corner), The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel across the street (Yes, the Pretty Woman hotel...). Robertson Blvd. between Beverly & 3rd is a celeb-spotting hotspot - check out the paparazzis at The Ivy, Kitson, Newsroom, etc.

Micelis is always good, inexpensive and fun. Musso & Frank is my personal favorite in Hollywood - greatest Martinis & Cosmos and steaks. If those walls could talk!!! Don't forget to say hello to Senor Felix there, he's an institution and a hoot! Also a good celeb magnet. Have a fab time!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Gay Man

Rodeo for the $$$$$ shops - although it is not a drivable street where all of the goodies are.

I'd have a drink at the Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Or, even better, go to the Sky Bar at the Hotel Mondrian on Sunset - just up from House of Blues. Fantastic views and fun people watching. Afterwards you can take a fun drive in the hills for house hunting - although you might not see much in the dark. Then drive down sunset until the strip ends, jog up to Hollywood and do a walking tour from the Roosevelt to the Egyptian, then on to Micelli's or Musso and Franks for dinner. My FAVORITE restaurant in the area is just down from the rest called Geisha House. But, it is new and not historical.

The other place I would recommend for dinner, drinks and view is Yamashiro, just behind the Magic Castle off of Franklin. Fantastic old building with a great story and wonderful views.

Hollywood is really hopping these days. There's even the HollyTrolly to take you from club to club. I've been spending more and more time up there, as well as in Santa Monica.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    The other place I would recommend for dinner, drinks and view is Yamashiro, just behind the Magic Castle off of Franklin. Fantastic old building with a great story and wonderful views.
    YES - LOVE Yamashiro!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Like the maps of the stars homes idea and hollywood and highland. Queen Mary doesn't take but a few hours. The tour is a waste of $$$ unless it is the haunted tour. Walking around and reading the info is enough.
    Have allot of fun!!
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Gay Man

The Roosevelt has a great little Hollywood History museum on the 2nd floow. Small but fun.

• no flash photography...

when my family came to visit from england they just wanted to see the mountains and the long trains. they also did the queen mary, map of the stars and went to sequioa....not sure if thats helpful or not....they did not want to go to DL though...

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Barbie?
    Like the maps of the stars homes idea and hollywood and highland. Queen Mary doesn't take but a few hours. The tour is a waste of $$$ unless it is the haunted tour. Walking around and reading the info is enough.
    Have allot of fun!!
    I don't like the haunted tour and I seemt o kow more than the tour guides who give out incorrect information. My favorite thing to do is explore on my own. I have found that the olf funnel uptakes are now emergency staircases that go to every deck.......and if you go up tot he funnels and open the door you'll see they are just fake held up by metal pieces. The original funnels had rivots on them and fell apart during the "conversion".

they have a titanic exhibit on there tight now. I may be goign to that on saturday..

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

You could probably do the Queen Mary & the Long Beach Aquarium in one day. Both only take a few hours.

I'd even suggest a Universal Studios Tour too. If you've never been it's pretty cool. I particularly like the Tram tour.

Make sure you get an hour or so in at Venice and Santa Monica Pier. Lots of things to see.

As an Orange County person, I'd have to say check out Knotts while your here and take a trip to Newport Beach. See the "real" OC.

Have a great trip!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Well its not ME thats taking the trip since I live here, I'm playing Mister Tour Guide driving Miss Daisy all over L.A. (which I dont mind doing, especially since he's never been here). I'm just in need of some suggestions with my extremely limited amount of time (one day).

Thanks so much everyone! I like the Roosevelt idea and Venice. Maybe on our drive back from the LBC we'll take PCH up to Sunset, head through B.H. and end up parking around Hollywood/Highland and just walk around there. He emailed and said Musso and Franks would be fun (he's a huge history buff).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Since I am a transplant to Los Angeles, I have a "thing" about L.A. icons. If you're going through BevHills, definately tour up Rodeo Drive. If you can fit in a cocktail at the Polo Lounge... so much the better. Cruise Sunset Blvd and you'll see plenty of swell mansions. Don't miss "The Witch's House"
    (516 N. Walden Drive. The "Witch's House" sits at the northeast corner of Carmelita Avenue and Walden Drive (not far from the Beverly Hilton Hotel), in the middle of an otherwise normal Beverly Hills neighborhood, just one block north of Wilshire Blvd. / From Rodeo Drive, go south to Wilshire Boulevard, and turn right (west) on Wilshire. Go about three quarters of a mile west on Wilshire to Carmelita (the first street west of Santa Monica Boulevard). Turn right (north) up Carmelita for one block, to the corner of Carmelita and Walden Drive. The house is on the northeast corner of this residential intersection. You can't miss it.)
    Musso & Frank's is a dump... but such a historic dump. Wonderful food. Definately a great choice. Famous for the best martinis in the known universe. (NOTE: martinis are made with GIN...not vodka!) (NOTE #2: Disney fans... look for the Snow White Cafe a couple of doors down!) The Walk Of Fame is fun. Hollywood & Highland is also great fun. (Park there to walk to Musso & Franks AND Grauman's Chinese.) Try to point out the Capitol Records Building and impress him with trivia: The red aircraft light at the tip of the building blinks out H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D in Morse code. If you can cruise down La Brea, you can show him Charlie Chaplin's old studios where Kermit The Frog lives now. Gotta hit the Sunset Strip, especially after dark. On the way back to "the valley" hit USH CityWalk. (...and Micelli's is right across the street on Cahuenga if you're still thirsty)

btw: The Queen Mary is fun... but if it was me, I'd substitute Forest Lawn.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• pixie cutie

LA Farmer's Market. I remember it has many little restaurants and
    stores. Is it located near the LaBrea Tar Pits?
    Is it worth a visit to see the Tar Pits?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

If your guest is interested in broadcasting history, you might want to take a quick spin past Columbia Square (CBS-2 TV and KCAL-9) in Hollywood and point out that many great shows of the golden age of radio (Jack Benny, Bob Hope, others) were recorded there. KNX radio was housed there until just last summer - Sunset Blvd. between Gower and El Centro...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast