Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Escape from Tomorrow has been released

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's not "denigrating the film" to point out the filmmaker's unethical business practices.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Why would anyone pay money to support this sleeze ball of a director?
    This sleaze ball director has done an impressive job of conning his customers with a snake oil concoction of Noble Artiste and Innocent-David-Battling-Greedy-Goliath. Stir in the industry's secret love of anything that mocks the major studios in general and Disney in particular, add a pinch of the public's disdain for mega-wealthy corporations, and you have an army of people lauding his "courage" and defending his "rights." The degree to which his film punks Disney is nothing next to his punking of the public.

As Truffaut said in Close Encounters, "It is an event sociological."
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-11-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I just saw the film. Yes I paid to see it. The film is very underground. I liked it a lot and would recommend it to any disney fan. It has a lot of hidden references and reminds u r not safe any where even at the happiest place on earth. It is kinda a reality check.

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This sleaze ball director has done an impressive job of conning his customers with a snake oil concoction of Noble Artiste and Innocent-David-Battling-Greedy-Goliath. Stir in the industry's secret love of anything that mocks the major studios in general and Disney in particular, add a pinch of the public's disdain for mega-wealthy corporations, and you have an army of people lauding his "courage" and defending his "rights." The degree to which his film punks Disney is as nothing next to his punking of the public.

As Truffaut said in Close Encounters, "It is an event sociological."
    On the other hand I, of sound mind and body, think he made an interesting film. I am excited to see it. There is no con here, he's laid his entire work on the table at face value. Some hate the idea, and some think it's exciting.

I'm going to watch it later, it'll be interesting still even if its no good.
    "Who's she?!?"
    "Oh her? Oh, that's Wendy!"
    "A girl?!"
    "What's she doing here?!"
    "..and in her nightdress too!"
    "...We were only trying to drown her..that's all."

Pass

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    No interest.

You should always be very careful, if you have an open mind something might get in!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

I wish someone would make a film in the same way of "Los Disneys" look up the website if your not familiar with it.
    Greetings from LOS DISNEYS!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Minion

I haven't seen the film yet but plan to very soon. I'm really looking forward to it.
    If the movie is half as good as the soundtrack, it should be pretty good.
    The soundtrack is amazing!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    On the other hand I, of sound mind and body, think he made an interesting film.
    Criticism of the sleazy manner in which he produced and promoted his film is directed at the sleazy manner in which he produced and promoted his film, not at the artistic quality or production values of the film itself. That the public is largely unable to separate the two (and indeed frequently cites the former in defense of the latter) is one of the measures of success of his con job.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I'm not going to give a cheater my money.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    How do you feel about Banksy's intrusion into the backwoods of BTMRR a few years back?
    He did that?! No way! I'd love to read about it. I'm a fan of Adam the Woo and loved all of his "lost WDW" videos.. before he got kicked out of the park.

You can watch it for free here
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 10-11-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Link in violation of MiceChat rules removed

The clips I'd seen and the reviews I'd read had me convinced I wouldn't like it. Well, I kinda did actually but it's kind of a missed opportunity.

The movie is best read (watched?) in the same vein as a David Lynch film or Scott Pilgrim vs. The World or an episode of Spaced, where everything that happens is probably entirely subjective. The fact that it starts with the main character getting the call that he's lost his job feels entirely appropiate as this is the catalyst for the rest of the story and probably his state of mind. That said, Lynch's films work because he makes you buy the reality of his movies in its entirety or at least makes you aware that it could all be a dream, or in something like Scott Pilgrim, the whole world may be fantastical but the characters are fleshed-out and you understand them one way or another. This is where Escape from Tomorrow fails to connect, though. Jim's kid is a total brat, but we never understand quite why. Again, it's understandable that this is probably the way that Jim is seeing his child on that particular day, but as the film progresses, it doesn't quite have a consistency of how it wants us to feel about any of the characters.

Inconsistency is where a lot of the film's faults lie, sadly. Much has been made about the movie being shot at both Disney parks, but there are some utterly bizarre green-screen scenes that just stick out as weird choices. Towards the end, there is a twist that makes me think this movie could have worked better by embracing its bizarre reality or in the ways of homage, akin to a movie like "The lost skeleton of Kadavra" or "La pantera negra", keeping true to the surrealism but pushing it even further. It's in this twist where the weird uses of greenscreen would have felt perfect, but Randy Moore, the director uncomfortably switches between Malick-esque handheld wide-angle camerawork and close-ups to that bizarre 50s horror movie aesthetic. It probably has a point but it feels more jarring than anything else.

The movie isn't really scary enough or disturbing enough. It seems ambivalent about how it wants us to feel about these characters or Jim, at least. And I think a lot of the problem lies in that he doesn't have the most sympathetic of plights, which is basically banging the two french teenagers that he keeps bumping into the park. Some scenes made me wonder if this movie would have worked better if it was from the perspective of the kids, if anything it could have made us understand Elliott better.

The movie had already been edited some 15 minutes, but I think it could have been even shorter. The movie pretty much blows out its wad after the first 45 minutes, most of the scares or satire that follow feel repetitive and forced. It does end on a bit of a poignant note and a question mark that could leave its audience thinking about the film afterwards, but I wish the movie could have offered more of that.

Also, the legal tip-toeing of the movie is weird. Disney's name is bleeped out and blacked out but the movie has no problem mentioning Siemens or showing their logo the movie has no problem showing full-frontal female nudity but Jim's *** is pixeled-out in a scene towards the end. There is probably some joke in there somewhere, but again, this is a movie that's gotten much of its buzz because of how defiant it is towards Disney, so that it chickens out in these parts without chickening out to Siemens is weird.

Still, this is an interesting movie. It's shot pretty damn well, the score is wonderful and the acting is serviceable. If only its pieces could fit better together, this movie could match the buzz it has gotten about how it was shot but that's not the case here and even then, let's face it, it's not a very good story. Truth is, anyone can have a camera at Disneyland. It was a difficult shoot, but I don't know, I think I needed the movie to be a little more impressive. Banksy still takes the cake.

If anyone else has seen it, I would love to talk to you about it, especially the ending.
    Last edited by spielbergo; 10-11-2013 at 06:17 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

I'm actually most excited to see professional cinematic video of Disneyland. I love the movie "40 Pounds of Trouble". I'm going to a Q&A this weekend and am gonna ask the writer/director some interesting questions.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Just saw the film. Was jarring when they kept bouncing back and forth between Disney World and Disneyland at the beginning. The cinematography was very well done. Musical score was pretty good (they used Bernard Herrmann's score to "Fahrenheit 451" at one point). The acting was OK. It was disturbing, funny, gross, and confusing. Like a bad acid trip. For some reason, I was laughing at the end. Not for everyone.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast