Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Escape from Tomorrow has been released

What was your interpretation of the ending? Basically the scene outside the hotel.

• MaliBOOMer

I love how they start at Disney World and Magically jump to Small World in Disneyland.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Production Designer

Just finished watching it and it was absolutely HORRIBLE! Please don't waste your time (or money) on this piece of crap they call a film.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    Just finished watching it and it was absolutely HORRIBLE! Please don't waste your time (or money) on this piece of crap they call a film.
    Why didn't you like it?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by spielbergo View Post
    but it's kind of a missed opportunity.
    Interesting review. I think we have to keep in mind that it's his first (last?) feature and, as we learned from "Ratatouille," anyone can cook but not everyone can be a great chef. The articles and reviews at the time of the Sundance screening made the ideas sound somewhat interesting but maybe there's something missing in the execution. And I won't jump all over the director, but co-opting the Disney parks gives it a marketing advantage a lot of other indies don't have and I don't want to financially support something on "buzz" alone (I learned my lesson with "The Blair Witch Project," though they admittedly created their own buzz, misleading though it was).

For another strange amusement park movie there's Neverland from 2003 by Damion Dietz which is a real-world retelling of Peter Pan with Peter as an adolescent delinquent, Tink as a raver girl and the lost boys as runaways hiding out in an amusement park called Neverland, which was shot (legally, I assume) at Castle Park in Riverside. Captain Hook and the pirates are the security guards and janitors trying to hunt down the trespassers. It's very "indie," though Wil Wheaton of Star Trek: The Next Generation appears briefly as Mr. Darling. I saw it years ago at a friend's house who, I think, got it from Netflix. Neverland (2003) - IMDb

Haven't seen it, but would like to.

for those that have seen it, what did you like/dislike about it?

I have to ask, what's the quality of the actual movie? Everything I've heard makes it sound like it's more interesting (not the movie itself, but because of how it was made) than entertaining.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Why would anyone pay money to support this sleeze ball of a director?
    maybe you should see the film before judging it? then again probably wont matter to you.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    So how do you act when you're at Disneyland and you see a sign of this nature:

I feel that I have paid to go where I want in the park and telling me to stay clear of an area is essentially telling me I am not allowed in an area that I paid money to be able to go into.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

I just finished watching Escape from Tomorrow, I watched it in HDX 1920 resolution.

This section doesnt contain any spoilers:

Its actually a good film, not for everyone it is for mature audiences only, no kids should see it at all, most Disney fans would get a kick out of it unless they are very thin skinned. Its actually not about Disney parks directly and doesnt show them in a negative light until the very end that is. It takes place over one day but was shot over 27 days at both DL and WDW creating an amalgamation of the two parks, it doesnt use any of the actual sounds or music from the parks and has an original soundtrack that is really good and is available online. The b/w photography is great, the acting is quite good especially the kids who are amazing in it. The special efx are also very effective.

The film is basically about how while on a visit to the parks (really it could have been any amusement park or vacation location) real life can be going on that can be very disturbing, like losing a job, problems with a spouse etc. and the juxtaposition of your internal traumatic experience with an overly cheery external experience.
    The use of its a small world as the location for the first "breakdown" is perfect and the original soundtrack while very annoying "nah nah nah nah" somehow is still not as disturbing as the actual song can be under the wrong circumstances. It does get pretty Kubrickesque near the end.
    I would like to see a similar film but one about how a persons life changes as they go to the parks over their lifetime from childhood, thru puberty where you may have your first date there, thru adulthood while dealing with bad news like the loss of a job or relationship etc on till illness and old age, now that would be interesting.
    Disney doesnt really have any reason (other than it being shot without permission) to be upset about the film till the very end which is clearly meant to be a surrealistic ending, but it should be treated as a work of art and left at that, Seimens corp however may have a beef with it! lol. It presents the problem they have at the parks of trying to portray a happy experience while real life of real people is going on. Also how at the start of a long day things can be fun but by the end you feel like you have been thru a war zone but then most vacations are like that too. Warning there is a very gross bathroom seen at the end......

If your someone with an open mind and you like unusual films that are original and thought provoking even disturbing then this ones for you.

Spoiler section:
    The story is about a father going thru the loss of his job while at the resort and problems with a wife who is a total beotch plus a mid life crisis at the same time. The former disney princess turned evil witch was a surprise. The nervous breakdown during its a small world was priceless. The pedophile like interest in the girls I suppose is do to his frigid wife and mid life crisis. I think everyone has had the experience of seeing someone you find very attractive at the parks and maybe you tried to meet them too. The surreal part under spaceship earth was very Westworld/Futureworld films inspired with the robot in the lab coat. Tho the motive here was not very clear to me. The cat flu (based on bird flu) seemed out of place and got very gross, but the coughing up of hairballs and the cheshire cat like grin and eyes at death were a hilarious touch. (I wish they had shown the cheshire cat from alice at some point to tie the two together. As it relates to the mind probing scene I didnt really get the very end scene either I suppose its open to many different interpretations, I will have to and am going to watch it over again.

I look forward to future films by this film maker.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ursaguy View Post
    I have to ask, what's the quality of the actual movie? Everything I've heard makes it sound like it's more interesting (not the movie itself, but because of how it was made) than entertaining.
    I watched it in HDX 1920 resolution and the quality is excellent! Crisp and clear, the special efx transformations are awesome, there is some green screen compositing that is a little obvious but not bothersome, overall as a low budget independent film it is excellent in quality so no need to worry about that.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    Haven't seen it, but would like to.

for those that have seen it, what did you like/dislike about it?
    I liked its originality, certainly there has never been another film like this, there is nothing that I disliked about it even tho at times its a bit disturbing.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    its ok if for whatever reason you didnt like the film but dont tell other people not to see it or call it crap. Clearly there are people who have seen it that like original, thought provoking art films. Let people decide for themselves.

I will agree that the typical disney fan may not like it not because of the disney references but because it is a film about real life with people who have real problems and that can be ugly its not a funtime happy go lucky film by any means!

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I love how they start at Disney World and Magically jump to Small World in Disneyland.
    I also found it interesting while not distracting for me at how they merged the 3 or more parks into one, essentially creating a park that doesnt really exist in the real world.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by spielbergo View Post
    What was your interpretation of the ending? Basically the scene outside the hotel.
    I would like to know what people thought of this too, it has threads that go back to the Seimens lab, and the soaring fantasy, if you believe the android then maybe the whole film was a fantasy/nightmare and didnt even really happen and the family at the end was the real family who were about to have a normal happy visit???

— Walt Disney

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast