Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Escape from Tomorrow has been released

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I watched it in HDX 1920 resolution and the quality is excellent! Crisp and clear, the special efx transformations are awesome, there is some green screen compositing that is a little obvious but not bothersome, overall as a low budget independent film it is excellent in quality so no need to worry about that.
    I may or may not give it a shot. I can't watch a lot of indy films (and Cloverfield! A nice **** you shout out to Cloverfield!) because ill get sick with all of those horrible camera movements, and with this being shot with green screens and on guest styled video cameras I was a bit nervous.

Also, I'm fine with psychological horror movies and e like, but I'm a total wimp when it comes to gross and/or disturbing images of disfigured people. Any of that in here?

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by VintageMouse View Post
    Just saw the film. Was jarring when they kept bouncing back and forth between Disney World and Disneyland at the beginning. The cinematography was very well done. Musical score was pretty good (they used Bernard Herrmann's score to "Fahrenheit 451" at one point). The acting was OK. It was disturbing, funny, gross, and confusing. Like a bad acid trip. For some reason, I was laughing at the end. Not for everyone.
    spoiler alert:
    yes the final cat flu hairball death scene cheshire cat face made me crack up too lol

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I'm not going to give a cheater my money.
    it never ceases to amaze me how ordinary people so strongly defend huge multinational multibillion dollar mega corporations that can take care of themselves.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Criticism of the sleazy manner in which he produced and promoted his film is directed at the sleazy manner in which he produced and promoted his film, not at the artistic quality or production values of the film itself. That the public is largely unable to separate the two (and indeed frequently cites the former in defense of the latter) is one of the measures of success of his con job.
    There is nothing "sleazy" about the film making process in this film nor is it a con job.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ursaguy View Post
    I may or may not give it a shot. I can't watch a lot of indy films (and Cloverfield! A nice **** you shout out to Cloverfield!) because ill get sick with all of those horrible camera movements, and with this being shot with green screens and on guest styled video cameras I was a bit nervous.

Also, I'm fine with psychological horror movies and e like, but I'm a total wimp when it comes to gross and/or disturbing images of disfigured people. Any of that in here?
    there is no jerky handheld camera movement that I recall certainly nothing like found in found footage type of films.

Peoples faces are altered at times but not in a gory way, however at the very end there is a gross bathroom sick/death scene of a main character and their face is altered in death in a cartoonish manor, you may wish to look away once you see the father naked on the toilet at the end for a min or two I actually found the face and what its supposed to represent hilarious but then I'm a cat person lol. Thats the only really squeamish part, but the ending hints that maybe the whole thing is just a nightmare and didnt really happen at all so if you think of it in those terms that it might just be a dream it might help.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ursaguy View Post

Oh I should add that since its b/w the little bit of blood at the end is black, when making Psycho Hitchcock used chocolate syrup for the blood scenes they may have as well here. Its just a movie none of its real. (spoilers ahead) But if you have problems with explosive diarhea and vomiting (I think we have all had episodes like this at one time after a long day at the park! lol) again at the final bathroom scene you may want to look away and those things are hairballs btw (disgusting and funny at the same time).

— Walt Disney

Ursaguy-The camerawork is pretty nice. Definitely handheld, but nothing jerky about it. Think Emmanuel Lubezki's work on Children of Men, Y Tú Mamá También or in The New World or The Tree of Life, but in black and white and with a DSLR camera and you get the idea. Lots of movement but very controlled, with mostly wide-shots.

I'd say the movie is definitely more interesting than entertaining. It does get overlong about halfway through but picks up afterwards. However, I really wasn't affected by anything in the movie except the climax.

SPOILERS

GothicManor- One interpretation I have is that even in death, Jim was able to fly away into his imagination and accomplish his dreams somehow. Isn't Disneyland advertised as the place dreams come true anyway? Maybe that will be his paradise hahaha.

Although I do wonder what was going on with that Disney employee and Elliot at the end, though.

My favorite two quotes from the film are:

When the daughter wants to go thru a cave on Tom Sawyer Island:
    "Honey, daddy's too fat to go thru there" - Jim
    and
    When they stand before the spaceship earth sphere:
    "Its a giant testicle!" - Jim

lol

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by spielbergo View Post
    Ursaguy-The camerawork is pretty nice. Definitely handheld, but nothing jerky about it. Think Emmanuel Lubezki's work on Children of Men, Y Tú Mamá También or in The New World or The Tree of Life, but in black and white and with a DSLR camera and you get the idea. Lots of movement but very controlled, with mostly wide-shots.

I'd say the movie is definitely more interesting than entertaining. It does get overlong about halfway through but picks up afterwards. However, I really wasn't affected by anything in the movie except the climax.

SPOILERS

GothicManor- One interpretation I have is that even in death, Jim was able to fly away into his imagination and accomplish his dreams somehow. Isn't Disneyland advertised as the place dreams come true anyway? Maybe that will be his paradise hahaha.

Although I do wonder what was going on with that Disney employee and Elliot at the end, though.
    I have to lean towards the whole thing was a dream the whole cat flu incident seems to unreal and the android scientist does say that its not real and that the other guy who we see again at the end is really him. But certainly allot of what goes on in the film really does happen at the parks, thats what happens at the happiest place on earth, real life...

— Walt Disney

My favorite dialogue was between Elliott and Jim when they are discussing their definitions of beauty. The Emily Dickinson, Tina Fey had me laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by spielbergo View Post
    My favorite dialogue was between Elliott and Jim when they are discussing their definitions of beauty. The Emily Dickinson, Tina Fey had me laughing out loud.
    Yeah that was great, there are allot of worthwhile dialog and scenes in the film to make it worth watching for them alone. The actors playing Elliot and his sister are great.

— Walt Disney

Did anyone else know that the DL Turkey legs are actually Emu legs? and as the star in the film is asked while eating one, "would you eat it if you knew?" his reply was "no"

— Walt Disney

I would love to have a copy of the Disney Co health warning poster about the Cat flu epidemic threat seen in the first aid station.

— Walt Disney

If you liked the film at all watch it again right after watching it the first time, at least the first 15 mins, you will find that its cyclical! I am more convinced than ever its all supposed to be unreal, possibly a dream.

For previous viewers (spoilers):
    At the opening like at the end there is the BTMRR beheading, while Jim is out on the contemporary hotel room balcony getting fired on the phone he looks down and see's a white van pull up and a uniformed CM comes out and looks up at him just as we see at the end, when they get on the monorail at the hotel, people are sneezing and coughing a reference to the spread of the Cat Flu, then they ride snow white and the daughter says "I'm scared of the witch", and later the "witch" kidnaps her and she is dressed like snow white on a bed of white roses asleep........ Clearly the whole film is intended to be a surreal dreamlike experience and not reality.

— Walt Disney

Yeah, as I said before, if it's not a dream, it is at least a day in Disney World seen through the eyes of a man who just lost his job. It's a subjective reality. If taken literally, I think it's a movie about a spy mission of sorts gone totally wrong because his boss couldn't communicate properly with him.

I think it was you who mentioned that they should do a movie about Disneyland seen through different ages of one person. That would be cool, I think. All the buzz around this movie and its implications made me think it would be cool to have like a book or film anthology about different stories taking place in the park. Disney could use it as promotion for the parks haha, but they would be these very personal stories that take place in the park. Like, both times I've gone there I've gone with emotional and mental baggage because of stuff that was happening in my life and being there was a way of dealing with my issues or taking a distance from them. Or like what I think you mentioned too about trying to meet a girl or a guy at the parks too.

Isn't the whole emu legs thing an urban legend, anyway? To answer your question, though, I wouldn't care haha. If they come from emus, then those birds sure do taste okay. I tend to go out of my way to not eat anything in Disneyland, though. Too expensive. Although I'm okay with the turkey legs, churros and corn.
    Last edited by spielbergo; 10-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast