Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Re: Escape from Tomorrow has been released

The Soundtrack is awesome but I really like the song during the credits and I felt the lyrics to it would provide some insight into the meaning of the film and it does in the general way any song does. But after searching I could not find any lyrics not even on the official site. So I bought it and had listen to it more times than I care to admit to figure out the lyrics and I think I got them.

For those that havent heard the song you hear samples of it online just about anywhere theres music sold.

The song is a march of children singing to drums similar to It's a small world but more strident and forceful. Also when I listen to it picture the voices coming from a parade of hundreds of robotic Mickey mice! lol scary... its a haunting beautiful song.

Lyrics to Imaginate! by Abel Korzeniowski from Escape from Tomorrow Soundtrack

If you look, the whole world's happy
    feel the beat, it's us Inside of you
    through your body, now your ear is clear
    have you found the hidden clue?

Imaginate what we can do, when Tomorrow theres another View?
    On the other side, you will realize,
    Wishes really do come true, come true.

Imaginate what we can do, when Tomorrow theres another View?
    On the other side, you will realize
    Wishes really do come,

Is there any magic moment, taking over you,
    cause you know that your the one,
    cause the fun has just begun,
    and the fun has just begun for me and you! (music swells)

Here we go now, it's your party,
    Come and lets get off the Rocket Show
    Everyone is here, no time to fear,
    And we will never let you go!...(menacingly)

Imaginate, what we can do, when Tomorrows there's another View?
    On the other side, you will realize
    Wishes really do come, come true.

Imaginate, what we can do, when Tomorrow theres another YOU?
    On the other side, we will realize
    Wishes really do come,

Imaginate, imaginate, imaginate, imaginate, imaginate,
    what we can do, wishes really do come true...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by spielbergo View Post
    Yeah, as I said before, if it's not a dream, it is at least a day in Disney World seen through the eyes of a man who just lost his job. It's a subjective reality. If taken literally, I think it's a movie about a spy mission of sorts gone totally wrong because his boss couldn't communicate properly with him.

I think it was you who mentioned that they should do a movie about Disneyland seen through different ages of one person. That would be cool, I think. All the buzz around this movie and its implications made me think it would be cool to have like a book or film anthology about different stories taking place in the park. Disney could use it as promotion for the parks haha, but they would be these very personal stories that take place in the park. Like, both times I've gone there I've gone with emotional and mental baggage because of stuff that was happening in my life and being there was a way of dealing with my issues or taking a distance from them. Or like what I think you mentioned too about trying to meet a girl or a guy at the parks too.

Isn't the whole emu legs thing an urban legend, anyway? To answer your question, though, I wouldn't care haha. If they come from emus, then those birds sure do taste okay. I tend to go out of my way to not eat anything in Disneyland, though. Too expensive. Although I'm okay with the turkey legs, churros and corn.
    Yeah I too got that theres a connection between his job and the Seimens robot scene...

I think that if this film had been more about the problems people are going thru while at the park and minus the more negative fantasy scenes like princess/whores, wicked witch sex, and death conspiracy, disney might have even embraced the film and distributed it and even like they love to do seen it as a money making opportunity, like the cat flu posters, and geosphere hat, ok maybe not lol

Im thinking im going to post my personal life experiences I went thru while at the park over my lifetime since I have been going 50 yrs since i was very young.

I think they are emu, they seem way too big for any turkey i have ever scene, besides the park food often makes one sick which I think was part of the message at the end of the film.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Here's a little of my own "Escape from Tomorrow" story, I think the meaning is bad things happen in life and being at DL is an escape from what you have to face tomorrow the next day when you are back in real life!

I guess from this you can see why I personally like the film and how it resonated with me.

Of course early on I was the little kid like Elliot, who had favorite rides and sometimes it would be too overwhelming to be there all day, also you have allot of early social experiences due to being around so many people in a way you dont normally in real life.

As a teen I went to DL for the high school prom and was with my first love, but we were just friends till this date and "something" happened for the fist time between us due to the intimate seating of the Matterhorn! (seatings all changed now!)

Like most people I have gone on dates or with friends to the park.

Often when you are zigzagging back and forth in the lines you may see someone you find attractive and use the repeat passings to either get a look at them or flirt with them.

As an adult, I had a rough time where I was inbetween jobs and inbetween places to stay for a couple of weeks I had money and an AP so I just rented a hotel room next to DL and I actually lived at DL for almost two weeks! I would sleep at the hotel room but other than that I would spend the whole day every day at the park, eating, riding rides, just hanging out. And yes it did get tedious and boring at times! And I really realized how the constant music piped in everywhere is really intended to make anyone just sitting around hanging out go crazy so they will move on!! lol

I know I have gone at times in my life where some tragedy or loss of a relationship left me going alone and being melancholy and its not a place that will cheer you up but only make you feel worse when you see all the "happy" people around you.

Later as I got older I became disabled and had to use an electric wheelchair at times I would get ill and have to go to the first aid to lay down for a bit, so I identify with that first aid scene from that.

Although I am not that old yet I do remember going with my grandma in her mid 80's and what that was like we went on rocket rods not realizing it was a bit too much for her! lol

I guess you can see a whole persons life pass by at the park.

I really think thats what is behind the movie, how people experience their real life issues while trying to have a good time at a place that is devoted to being always happy, kids experiences with parents, teens (the parisian girls) with their dating experiences, adults with their job and spouse issues, and so on....

— Walt Disney

I also used Imaginate as a way of getting an interpretation of the movie. I wish the song had been featured in it's entirety, it's beautiful in an eerie way, much like the rest of the wonderful score. I didn't know the park food made people THAT sick haha, I'm glad my family and me go out of our way to not really eat anything there, though.

As for my own Escape from Tomorrow stories, I've only been to Disneyland twice. First time being when I was 21 in April of 2011. I was studying in the US and my family lives in Mexico and in Mexico they use the week of Good Friday as vacation. I had a job in school where I was in charge of the film club and that weekend we were going to show Summer Wars, which I was dying to see, especially with an audience. I loved that job and I didn't really like the idea of missing out on a few days in order to travel, but family wins so I reluctantly went.

I was kind of uncomfortable about going there, I don't really remember why. I probably had the idea that it was going to be just for kids and I wasn't really into attractions or roller coasters or anything like that. My then 16-year-old brother was even more of a downer than I was. I have anxiety so anytime I hear anything might potentially endanger me, I panic. We got into Pirates and while I wasn't a fan of the falls, I was really impressed with the technology in the animatronics, I started to let my guard down because I was genuienly impressed with everything. After that, since we were going with our nieces and nephews who were between 2 and 9 years old at the time, we had to go to the kiddie rides, so we went to Snow White's Scary Adventures (We were dicks and started singing El Tao Tao out loud. Why? Check out this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAq3hWBlalU) and after that I think we went on Peter Pan, which also wasn't the most exciting ride but I was again impressed with the imagination they took to create things. I think we also went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride which was fun for me and finally, we got on Indiana Jones. Remember how I said I have anxiety? Well, when I saw the red triangle thing I was like "Nah, I don't wanna go on this" but I forced myself but I got scared when I saw the video for the ride and saw the bumpy EMV and I thought "That's definitely not for me!" and I was completely ready to bail but got in anyway and had a blast! I was freaked out the whole time and even got a bit dizzy but it was awesome.

The next day or few days are kind of a blur. I can tell you I continued to be impressed by the way they achieved absolutely everything in the park. It really was going into another world and as a filmmaker, it was really inspiring for me. The whole thing revovled around storytelling and I was just so moved by how they managed to get that into the rides. They weren't just about spinning you around but taking you into another world. But I was also having issues with my family; as much as I love them, we tend to argue a lot. And since I have the best camera from anyone in the family, they're always asking me to stop and take pictures. I was barely getting to know how to handle my camera back then and I like to be really careful with how I take my pictures, but my older sister was always rushing me to take pictures and usually I need to stop to get my lenses and settings ready, and that was very difficult for me in the middle of so many people. So I'm sure that spurred a lot of fighting between us. Nothing really big but definitely frustrating. Also in our attempts to save money, we didn't really eat anything there. We made sandwiches and ate them there, but I need more than that in order to stay full so I never really fully ate during my stay at Disney.

At the time, I had a big unrequited crush on a girl, so she was on my mind the whole time as well. I kept thinking if I'd get to talk to her once I got back. Music plays a big part in my life and the last Bright Eyes album had come out. The overall vibe of the album reminds me of those days, especially the first song which has these lyrics that definitely match how I felt and thought while there:
    I saw a hologram at the theme park

She looked as real as me through the white fog
    Then she melted down to her ankles
    Turned into a million-watt candle
    If I knew where she went, I would follow

Walking through the land of tomorrow
    Martian trinkets, plastic Apollos
    In the sunshine, try to act normal
    My veins are full of flat cherry cola
    Slept on the bench by the rollercoaster

I make short films and this year, I had gotten myself into a Master's degree where I'd be fully paid but unable to take any jobs. A short film I was trying to make back then fell apart and it was a really maddening experience for me, because it was something so simple and I just couldn't believe that after five months, it wasn't coming together because no one wanted to play the lead role. And I was trusting on this girl I also had a big, unrequited crush on to act in the short but because of circumstances or because she was trying to cover up lies, I don't know, she ended up not participating and that's what caused the short film to fall apart. It was likely that I would not be able to make another short film until God knows when because I wanted to fullly dedicate myself to the Master's. I felt really horrible because I thought that I would not be able to advance on my film career without being able to do more stuff and I felt betrayed by this girl and by my friends. So, with that baggage I went to Disney this year.

I was disappointed that many of the rides did not feel as fun as the first time around, so I didn't want to go on Indy again, I wanted to try out new stuff completely but it was hard because my family wanted all the rides from last time. So I basically ended up moping around, waiting to see if there was new stuff I hadn't tried. But again, I had a good time and I was better able to appreciate everything because, even though I was pretty bummed out, I had looked forward to going back. I still thought about that other girl, though. Nothing happened between us because she went on a trip and never came back to my city because she got busted on the way for drug possession, or so they say. Because of that and other things that had happened around that time, I felt like my 2011 visit had more innocence and I missed that, but being there again, I managed to enjoy myself and the best part for me was having my dad go with us that time. It was awesome to see him getting on a lot of rides, having the time of his life and having so much fun on his own with my mom.

I'm really looking forward to my next visit. As far as new rides (for me) go, I want to go on Space Mountain next time. I hope I don't end up barfing like Elliot!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I saw a screening of the film yesterday that included a Q&A with the lead actors. Below is a video of. The quality is not great since all I had was my phone.

My interpretation of the ending outside the hotel is in my view related to the cleaning of the bathroom scene. That even tho all this chaos happens on a Disney trip like stress, disappointments, getting sick.. that Disney is so well versed at make it look like your trip will be like dream come true shielded by the upsets of reality. And so its their business to take in guests and run them thru their environment of chaos with a smile and then clean up the mess and take in another new group of guests who have no idea what their in for. And this just goes on and on and on. Guests in, guests out, guests in, guests out. And so the next couple was the new guests with the illusion of stress free happiness that awaits them. And it was the same actor cause in Disneys eyes, they all look the same. Guests are guests.

Last edited by orbitalpunk; 10-13-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I saw a screening of the film yesterday that included a Q&A with the lead actors. Below is a video of. The quality is not great since all I had was my phone.

My interpretation of the ending outside the hotel is in my view related to the cleaning of the bathroom scene. That even tho all this chaos happens on a Disney trip like stress, disappointments, getting sick.. that Disney is so well versed at make it look like your trip will be like dream come true shielded by the upsets of reality. And so its their business to take in guests and run them thru their environment of chaos with a smile and then clean up the mess and take in another new group of guests who have no idea what their in for. And this just goes on and on and on. Guests in, guests out, guests in, guests out. And so the next couple was the new guests with the illusion of stress free happiness that awaits them. And it was the same actor cause in Disneys eyes, they all look the same. Guests are guests.

That was one of my conclusions too.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by spielbergo View Post
    I also used Imaginate as a way of getting an interpretation of the movie. I wish the song had been featured in it's entirety, it's beautiful in an eerie way, much like the rest of the wonderful score. I didn't know the park food made people THAT sick haha, I'm glad my family and me go out of our way to not really eat anything there, though.

As for my own Escape from Tomorrow stories, I've only been to Disneyland twice. First time being when I was 21 in April of 2011. I was studying in the US and my family lives in Mexico and in Mexico they use the week of Good Friday as vacation. I had a job in school where I was in charge of the film club and that weekend we were going to show Summer Wars, which I was dying to see, especially with an audience. I loved that job and I didn't really like the idea of missing out on a few days in order to travel, but family wins so I reluctantly went.

I was kind of uncomfortable about going there, I don't really remember why. I probably had the idea that it was going to be just for kids and I wasn't really into attractions or roller coasters or anything like that. My then 16-year-old brother was even more of a downer than I was. I have anxiety so anytime I hear anything might potentially endanger me, I panic. We got into Pirates and while I wasn't a fan of the falls, I was really impressed with the technology in the animatronics, I started to let my guard down because I was genuienly impressed with everything. After that, since we were going with our nieces and nephews who were between 2 and 9 years old at the time, we had to go to the kiddie rides, so we went to Snow White's Scary Adventures (We were dicks and started singing El Tao Tao out loud. Why? Check out this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAq3hWBlalU) and after that I think we went on Peter Pan, which also wasn't the most exciting ride but I was again impressed with the imagination they took to create things. I think we also went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride which was fun for me and finally, we got on Indiana Jones. Remember how I said I have anxiety? Well, when I saw the red triangle thing I was like "Nah, I don't wanna go on this" but I forced myself but I got scared when I saw the video for the ride and saw the bumpy EMV and I thought "That's definitely not for me!" and I was completely ready to bail but got in anyway and had a blast! I was freaked out the whole time and even got a bit dizzy but it was awesome.

The next day or few days are kind of a blur. I can tell you I continued to be impressed by the way they achieved absolutely everything in the park. It really was going into another world and as a filmmaker, it was really inspiring for me. The whole thing revovled around storytelling and I was just so moved by how they managed to get that into the rides. They weren't just about spinning you around but taking you into another world. But I was also having issues with my family; as much as I love them, we tend to argue a lot. And since I have the best camera from anyone in the family, they're always asking me to stop and take pictures. I was barely getting to know how to handle my camera back then and I like to be really careful with how I take my pictures, but my older sister was always rushing me to take pictures and usually I need to stop to get my lenses and settings ready, and that was very difficult for me in the middle of so many people. So I'm sure that spurred a lot of fighting between us. Nothing really big but definitely frustrating. Also in our attempts to save money, we didn't really eat anything there. We made sandwiches and ate them there, but I need more than that in order to stay full so I never really fully ate during my stay at Disney.

At the time, I had a big unrequited crush on a girl, so she was on my mind the whole time as well. I kept thinking if I'd get to talk to her once I got back. Music plays a big part in my life and the last Bright Eyes album had come out. The overall vibe of the album reminds me of those days, especially the first song which has these lyrics that definitely match how I felt and thought while there:
    I saw a hologram at the theme park

She looked as real as me through the white fog
    Then she melted down to her ankles
    Turned into a million-watt candle
    If I knew where she went, I would follow

Walking through the land of tomorrow
    Martian trinkets, plastic Apollos
    In the sunshine, try to act normal
    My veins are full of flat cherry cola
    Slept on the bench by the rollercoaster

I make short films and this year, I had gotten myself into a Master's degree where I'd be fully paid but unable to take any jobs. A short film I was trying to make back then fell apart and it was a really maddening experience for me, because it was something so simple and I just couldn't believe that after five months, it wasn't coming together because no one wanted to play the lead role. And I was trusting on this girl I also had a big, unrequited crush on to act in the short but because of circumstances or because she was trying to cover up lies, I don't know, she ended up not participating and that's what caused the short film to fall apart. It was likely that I would not be able to make another short film until God knows when because I wanted to fullly dedicate myself to the Master's. I felt really horrible because I thought that I would not be able to advance on my film career without being able to do more stuff and I felt betrayed by this girl and by my friends. So, with that baggage I went to Disney this year.

I was disappointed that many of the rides did not feel as fun as the first time around, so I didn't want to go on Indy again, I wanted to try out new stuff completely but it was hard because my family wanted all the rides from last time. So I basically ended up moping around, waiting to see if there was new stuff I hadn't tried. But again, I had a good time and I was better able to appreciate everything because, even though I was pretty bummed out, I had looked forward to going back. I still thought about that other girl, though. Nothing happened between us because she went on a trip and never came back to my city because she got busted on the way for drug possession, or so they say. Because of that and other things that had happened around that time, I felt like my 2011 visit had more innocence and I missed that, but being there again, I managed to enjoy myself and the best part for me was having my dad go with us that time. It was awesome to see him getting on a lot of rides, having the time of his life and having so much fun on his own with my mom.

I'm really looking forward to my next visit. As far as new rides (for me) go, I want to go on Space Mountain next time. I hope I don't end up barfing like Elliot!
    The best rides are ones like Pirates and the Mansion, what you dont realize being younger is those are rides the 60's, Disneyland was really at its peak around 1969 when the last ride that Walt actually worked on was opened the Haunted Mansion, previously the biggest change took place in 67 when there was a all new Tomorrowland, the new New Orleans Sq and Pirates opened. Back then the park was full of new Animatronics with shows like the Carousel or progress, Tomorrowland was really a look into a possible future with the peoplemover system, the Adventure thru Innerspace ride etc. What you see now with a few exceptions like space mtn and Indy is generally a fading vision of what Walt's Disneyland was like in it glory days. You would have loved it back in 69.

— Walt Disney

Oh, I love Disneyland now as it is! Despite all the stuff I didn't like about my experiences, I always have a blast going there and I'd love to go back someday. I should also say that I loved Anaheim/LA, I just loved California. I have allergies and being there, I breathed better than I usually do because of the humidity in the air. And the weather in both times I went was just perfect. It was a little hotter this year since it was in July but I can't really complain. Given my aspirations to work in the film industry, I find it great that LA is such a nice city with incredible weather.

That said, I do think more could be done with Tomorrowland. I love Star Wars, but I don't want it to turn into Star Wars-land which is what they seem to want now, especially if it means taking away from futuristic stuff like Innoventions which actually follows that futuristic theme.

Anyway, orbitalpunk, that's a great interpretation and it makes a lot of sense. Someone on another board brought up that the Disney employee implanted the happy memory of the Buzz Lightyear ride on Elliot, so that goes well with your theory. Although my question to that would be: Why Elliot and not the rest of them? And the only thing that I can't quite see matching your theory is that the scientist showed Jim that the guy that appears at the end was "the real him, from a part of his imagination he never sought to use." And thank you for posting the QandA!
    Last edited by spielbergo; 10-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.

• a wind to shake the stars

So this movie isn't very good. The setting is very interesting but the characters and plot are lackluster and it really misses making any coherent statements, which a film made covertly in the world's mosts popular theme parks really had the chance to do. As others have said, the Disney backgrounds don't really play into the main character's crisis in a major way, other than suggesting that It's A Small World makes him somewhat crazy. (but really, doesn't it do that to all of us?)

Yes, there are people in the background but that's it... just the background. I get that SAG rules might say one thing and I can't speak to that but in terms of actual harm to a person's reputation or any other similar negative effects from appearing in the film the chances are about as much as with a MiceAge update.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I'm not going to give a cheater my money.
    Well, you'll recall that Disney initially bought up all of the land for Walt Disney World under a number of supposedly unaffiliated shell companies so I assume you're going to stop patronizing them as well.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

So having just watched the movie, and having just read this entire thread, I'm shocked that there is anyone that likes this movie. It played out like the director was in junior high. Bad acting, completely unlikeable characters, inane and confusing script, all played out with a backdrop that most of us don't relate to a psychological shockfest like this. To be honest, I only made it half-way before shutting it off in disgust. A bad movie that's only getting interest because of the way it was shot.

Oh, and they're really turkey legs -

WDW turkey = emu - snopes.com

Th cat flu thing made me wonder, how has Disneyland or Disney World handled potential epidemics? Luckily the internet provided me with an answer: Disney World responds to swine flu (H1N1 virus) crisis - Orlando Walt Disney World Recreation | Examiner.com

So I guess the movie also got wrong how a Disney park would handle something like the Cat Flu.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456