Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Fabulous 690 Goes Away Next Sunday (Last day live: Tuesday)

I posted this in a thread started by Morrigoon in the Community Outpost, but I thought I might leave it here so people would be aware...
    In case anyone hadn't heard, the Fabulous 690 (The Lounge, Great American Songbook) will go away for good next Sunday night 2/5 - a not so "Super Sunday" for the station's many fans.
    On Tuesday, Daisy Torme will start off a countdown of songs leading to the "last song" voted by fans on the station website. After that, the countdown will repeat sans announcers until next Sunday night, when a company from Madrid will take over ownership of the Baja-based station and program in Spanish.
    I encourage anyone outside of SoCal to check it out next week at fabulousradio.com...
    Another sad day for the business I love. Check Morrigoon's thread for more details...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-30-2006 at 02:41 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• there's always my way...

Re: Fabulous 690 Goes Away Next Sunday

I HATE THIS!!! I LOVE THE 690! Watch them go all spanish now, like we need another spanish station... dang it!
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• insufferable know-it-all

I heard them talking about it yesterday. SOOOOO depressing. It was the greatest station EVER!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• there's always my way...

When i was going through hard times in my life, I swear i couldnt listen to anything else. Nothing else would make me smile. The Lounge music they played was Fabulous and so where the talent.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

I *hate* that I can't get their streaming stuff. Windows Media Player is required, and i don't use that, I use a spyware-free WMP lookalike.

Grrrr...

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I had the great fun & privilege of working with Lou Simon at Columbia Square in Hollywood - such a great voice and wonderful guy. So sorry to lose this wonderful little station.

Encyclopedia of the Airways - Fabulous 690's Lou The New Guy Simon plays the greatest songs ever written and shares insights and information on the origins of these great songs. Check out Lou The New Guy Simon weekday evenings 7-10 pm...and sometimes making guest appearances with Daisy Torme between 4 and 7 pm. Don't start rumors about Lou and Daisy...Fabulous crooner Steve Lawrence will tell you it's Lou and Eydie Gorme, that people are talking about. Try your hand at Lou's trivia weeknights for great prizes! Click here to e-mail Lou!
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-30-2006 at 10:28 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

XTRA has a long history of bouncing back and forth between English and Spanish broadcasting. Many years ago (mid-70s) I was involved with a group that was interested in providing programming for 690am. At the time they were playing oldies. This was the "Urban Cowboy" era and we proposed a pre-recorded country format. (We would not be allowed to broadcast live from the Rosarita Beach studios without a work permit. Programming was commonly recorded in the US and the tapes transported across the border to be played back.) They were actually all for it and the deal was made. We broadcast the new country format for about a week and then the deal was broken. I was told that the station's license was up for renewal and they were reminded by the Mexican authorities that broadcasting in Spanish might be more of a service to the Mexican listeners than broadcasting American country music. I don't know if that's true or not. But they did immediately switch to Spanish-language broadcasting for awhile. Ahhh, well. I was really looking forward to holding forth to seven western states, Canada and Alaska on a daily basis. I did hear my voice on "The Mighty 690" for a couple of days, anyway. Of course I've always wondered how things might be different if we had been allowed to continue.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

[quote=Tom Chaney]XTRA has a long history of bouncing back and forth between English and Spanish broadcasting. Many years ago (mid-70s) I was involved with a group that was interested in providing programming for 690am. At the time they were playing oldies. This was the "Urban Cowboy" era and we proposed a pre-recorded country format. (We would not be allowed to broadcast live from the Rosarita Beach studios without a work permit. Programming was commonly recorded in the US and the tapes transported across the border to be played back.)
    quote]

I knew an engineer who told me about the tape-running thing even when they were Southern California's first all-news station back in the 60's. Breaking news...as soon as they got in on the tape deck... .
    I'm not sure if Clear Channel knew this was coming when they flipped the sports format to 570, where the "Lounge" originated...and if they knew they'd eventually have to divest one, so they wanted to protect XTRA Sports...
    As I've posted elsewhere, the bright side is that they've been allowed what must be the longest goodbye in radio history. Usually, you favorite personality or fomat just disappears and becomes a non-entity...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rally Time!

this station goes way way back - this is the station that Wolfman Jack got famous on in the 50's, and is referenced in American Graffiti (though incorrectly locates it in central California, not Baja)

i listen to sports talk radio sometimes, and when they left that format a few years back, that when i personally was disappointed. this is the station Jim Rome got famous on during that time.

to me, its the Mighty 690, and it died about 5 years ago.
    a friend of Walt.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I hope it will resurrect itself again on another station...although I don't know if there are many options left. 570, the former home of cool music, went to talk radio, and now we are losing 690. I think there is a market for this type of music, but it's just getting the station off the ground. 570 was a good fit, because you got great tunes during the day, and Laker games at night.

We can always hope!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones
    this station goes way way back - this is the station that Wolfman Jack got famous on in the 50's, and is referenced in American Graffiti (though incorrectly locates it in central California, not Baja)

i listen to sports talk radio sometimes, and when they left that format a few years back, that when i personally was disappointed. this is the station Jim Rome got famous on during that time.

to me, its the Mighty 690, and it died about 5 years ago.
    Actually, I believe that The Wolfman was on XERB during the 50's and resurfaced on XTRA during the 80's during their "oldies" format.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Actually, I believe that The Wolfman was on XERB during the 50's and resurfaced on XTRA during the 80's during their "oldies" format.
    I know for a fact that the Wolfman was an XERB 1090 staple in the late 60's as well...there are a few of those 75-to-100-thousand watt "flamethrowers" stationed south of the border,across Mexico,aimed due north...

Anyway, I'll miss the lady coming on my radio once an hour with...(spelling gringo phonetically)...Eh-keese A Tay Erre Ah...Baja California, Meh'-hee-koh....(XTRA station id in Spanish)...Gracias for the Fabulous memories, people...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-31-2006 at 08:10 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I know for a fact that the Wolfman was an XERB 1090 staple in the late 60's as well...there are a few of those 75-to-100-thousand watt "flamethrowers" stationed south of the border,across Mexico,aimed due north...

Anywat, I'll miss the lady coming on my radio once an hour with...(spelling gringo phonetically)...Eh-keese A Tay Erre Ah...Baja California, Meh'-hee-koh....(XTRA station id in Spanish)...Gracias for the Fabulous memories, people...
    I hear that same lady's voice in my head right now!
    When I visited the XETRA (the correct call letters) in the 70s... the facility was located on the old road to Ensenada near the ocean. The transmitter and studios were in the same building. The studios featured large 14" turntables and picture windows overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The transmitter was, at that time, the oldest 50,000 watt transmitter operating in the country. It was built in 1934 by RCA. About 15 wide and 8 feet tall, it was literally a room full of mysterious and wonderful electronic stuff. The large metal cabinet was finished in grey hammertone paint with chrome trim. A full-sized door at the center allowed access. On the door was a large chromium RCA logo trimmed with red paint and accompanied with a large chromium thunderbolt. On either side of the door were round glass "portholes" about two feet in diameter. Through each porthole you could see the biggest vaccuum tubes I've ever seen... at least 2 feet tall! Across the terrazo floor was a large console containing all the controls for the transmitter. They told me there was just a much one floor below. At the time, even though it was designed to broadcast at 50,000 watts, they had modified it to "flame-throw" 100,000 watts! Those were very different days. I miss them.

I thought an antenna that big with that much power would microwave you at that range?

Anyway, heads up guys: Today is the very last day anyone will be "manning" the station. The fabulous countdown will begin sometime during "Swingin' Jimmy D's" show (which itself starts at 9). The "last song" will be played at about 7pm, and once that's done, it'll just replay the countdown sans announcers until Sunday when they start broadcasting banda or whatever the new owners have in mind.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

As posted in today's LA Radio-dot-com (1/31/06)...
    Last Song at Fabulous 690.
    Goodbye to Fabulous 690. “Count me among those feeling a sense of loss with the end of the Fabulous 690,” wrote Barry Turnbull.... “I live in a place where AM radio reception is poor coming into the house. So on Monday evening, I cranked up the speakers of the home office PC, and my wife and I had an all-to-rare sit-down dinner and clinked glasses while listening to Daisy Torme and Lou Simon and the great music.”
    Turnbull continued: “Isn't there a Los Angeles fm outlet that couldn't house this great format, so expertly put together that it appeals to an obviously very loyal audience spanning many demographics? And wouldn't it be great if they could at least keep the stream going in the meantime? Kudos to Brad Chambers, Daisy Torme, and all involved. Here's another listener that feels that radio is taking another hit with the loss of this station.”

Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-31-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast