View Poll Results: The IRS: Love It Or Hate It? How Would You Rate It?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrific...My Best Friend! Most always pay zero taxes, or else receive a refund.

1 6.67%
  • Fair and Effective Tax Collecting Institution.

0 0%
  • Essentially Fair and Effective. The tax code could use some restructuring.

1 6.67%
  • Adequate. Tax forms too complicated / not entitled to enough allowances.

2 13.33%
  • Lacks Something To Be Desired. Taxes too high. Too few breaks / shelters. .

3 20.00%
  • System Is Morally Bankrupt. Get rid of the IRS, and create a better alternative for paying taxes.

8 53.33%
  • No Opinion

0 0%

• Iron-Clad Allie

The IRS: Love It Or Hate It? How Would You Rate It?

Do you feel the IRS is a fair and effective tax collecting institution? Or, do you think it lacks a lot to be desired? Would you keep it as is, restructure it, or dump it for some other taxpaying system?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: The IRS: Love It Or Hate It? How Would You Rate It?

http://www.fairtax.org

Enough said.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: The IRS: Love It Or Hate It? How Would You Rate It?

I went with the morally bankrupt option, but I don't think we need to find an alternative way of paying income tax. I think we need to abolish income tax altogether!!!! Here's how: http://www.lp.org/issues/cut-taxes.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I love dthem last year when I got a big refund. This year I hate their conniving azzes for ripping me off.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I went with the morally bankrupt option, but I don't think we need to find an alternative way of paying income tax. I think we need to abolish income tax altogether!!!! Here's how: http://www.lp.org/issues/cut-taxes.shtml
    Aah...someone who shares my somewhat whacked-out views...nice to see.
    Ever try calling the IRS looking for a solution to a tax problem? I'm reminded of Alice In Wonderland and the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene frm Fantasia, each time...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Ever try calling the IRS looking for a solution to a tax problem? I'm reminded of Alice In Wonderland and the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene frm Fantasia, each time...
    Yeah, today. Their "live" operators was an automated line. First time, I wandered through until the final message said, "Here's how to check your refund. Go online." Then hung up on me. (Ok not EXACT quote. And I couldn't do it online 'cuz you can only check last year's and this year's status!). Called again, chose different options and was told to dial a different number. Did so and the recording asked for an extension number! Hello, they didn't give me an extension number!
    So, I called a different number, ended up going into my tax account or something and FINALLY, after 15 minutes on hold, got a live person! Sheesh!!! She didn't really know what she was doing but then again, answering my exact question probably wasn't her job to begin with.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Iron-Clad Allie

While I am all for cutting the fat out of pork programs, hyperbole, we cannot escape the fact that government requires money in order to operate. While I believe IRS curruption is beyond repair, an alternative tax system would remain necessary.

Two diferent ideas worthy of consideration are: a) a flat tax; and b) a federal consuption tax on goods and services.

To allow business to operate in the absence of governmental legislative and regulatory bodies would spell disaster. It would be an open invitation for worse monopolies than what exists today. This, in turn, would translate into higher rates of inflation and unemployment, i.e. stagflation.

I agree that as many government servoces as possible should be privatized. Additionally, Welfare should become an emergency service - not a lifestyle. A smaller, less intrusive fed means a healthier economy combined with a greater level of prosperity for the upper and working classes alike.

Industrial bailouts and subsidies are an unfair waste of taxpayer dollars - not to mention unethical. Consider that the credit card industry has recently achieved success in lobbying against individuals who file for bankruptcy being allowed to include credit card debt. As soon as big business got their way, they raised interest rates and the size of late fees. Yet, the taxpayer is supposed bail them out when they get into trouble!

Get rid of the IRS - YES. However, government still needs money to iperate. Once again, we need a federal revenue alternative that is more fair to people of all income levels. We need a tax system that doesn't contribute to ward destroying working class families and individuals.

They get on my nerves.

They had the nerve to tell us we didn't claim my unemployment income one year when I know we did. They then stated we owed them $800 dollars....like 3 years after the fact. Then we decided to fight it and sent them the proper information (this goes back and forth for a bit) to which they finally responded with a court date and basicallly said...."nope, you are wrong...pay or show up in court."

So...we pay it because we didn't want to waste a vacation/personal day on this. AND THEN GUESS WHAT? Two months later we get a check for $1000. No apology or admitting they screwed up.

At least we got our money back, but they kept insisting that we messed up everytime we contacted them. I guess they couldn't entertain the thought they could possibly be wrong.
    Last edited by MandaBella; 02-02-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I was thinking just the other day about the tax I pay just on GAS for my car!

It's almost $400 a year!

Sales tax...Lets round it off to $2500

Property tax, state tax, ferderal tax.....it's a wonder I have any money left!

I hope they keep the child tax credit around forever, or I'm going to be hurtin pretty bad!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    While I am all for cutting the fat out of pork programs, hyperbole, we cannot escape the fact that government requires money in order to operate.
    How was the government run before income tax was established?????? It can be done. It just means that the government will have to go back to doing only what is prescribed in the constitution, and nothing else. Which is the way it should be anyway.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Iron-Clad Allie

How was the government run before income tax was established?????? It can be done. It just means that the government will have to go back to doing only what is prescribed in the constitution, and nothing else. Which is the way it should be anyway.
    Perhaps, hyperbole, there was a system of paying for government that existed during the 18th and 19th centuries in the U.S. However, life is far more complex than it was then. We need to institute a fairer alternative that would tax people far less and force government to become smaller and more efficient. Once we accomplish this, perhaps a more dramatic return to our roots (more so) might be doable.

Presently, we need to slow down - not slam on the breaks. Too many fixed income elderly and other poor people would be hurt. If only the majority could agree to kill off the IRS, it would be a good beginning.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-02-2006 at 08:48 PM.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    If only the majority could agree to kill off the IRS, it would be a good beginning.
    That's the ticket!!!

Perhaps if we legalized drugs, and charged sales tax on them, we wouldn't need the income tax at all. I'm only 1/2 joking there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

It's really simple, isn't it? Are you sure you're not a conservative at heart?
    Perhaps if we legalized drugs, and charged sales tax on them, we wouldn't need the income tax at all. I'm only 1/2 joking there.
    YES. No need for 1/2 joking. Prohibition does not work. We learned that with booze in the 1920's. All it does is create a black market. You're not going to stop the supply or the demand. Better for the government to admit the obvious and participate to their advantage. The "War On Drugs" is a monumental money pit doomed to failure. Dammit... legalize the damn drugs, tax and regulate them and the national debt will disappear in no time. I'm not being sarcastic here. While we're at it... we could admit that people like to have sex and sometimes are willing to pay for it. Legalize that too... regulate and tax it. Spend some time in Amsterdam.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

If you get rid of the IRS and replace it with a new and different tax collecting agency and laws, people will just hate that one. No matter what- no one wants to pay taxes, but people still expect the government to provide all sorts of benefits and agencies. Tax collectors are always- hated- way back to to Biblical times. Its inevitable.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ