Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mary Blair artwork

Not sure where to post this..but i found these pictures of Mary Blair artwork..very nice....

http://www.animationarchive.org/2006...s-part_26.html

• Gay Man

Re: Mary Blair artwork

Nice! Her non-Disney work is always nice to see, althugh her Disney work will always be the most magical to me.

• CM for 4 years!

I got her book from my boyfriend for Christmas: "The Art & Flair of Mary Blair"... it's available on amazon.com as well as in the parks, at Disneyana, World of Disney, and the Disney Gallery.

Not to mention the original Blair piece that's hanging in the dining room up in the gallery right now!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Gay Man

There are several nice Mary Blair pieces in the Gallery at the moment. There's a very nice version of the Small World facad artwork in black and color that is lovely (I have one of the pieces that originaly hung in the DLH bungalows which has a different coloration). There's also a nice original behind a mural in Tomorrowland.

I used to feel that seeing Mary Blair's non-Disney work was like seeing my teacher at the grocery store. Now I just about admire every thing she did. Call me a cynic, but I think iasw never would have happened if it weren't for Mary. It needed a feminine touch (thanks to Alice Davis as well!). Marc alone --whom I also love, but differently-- would have turned it into the Saturday morning version of America Sings.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    Nice! Her non-Disney work is always nice to see, althugh her Disney work will always be the most magical to me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Adorable!
    I love that Easter Bunny one... i there any place where I can buy copies of her non-DL prints?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Mary Blair Lover

Talking Re: Mary Blair artwork

I know this is an older thread, but I have to revive this 'cause I just joined the chat and I'm a Mary Blair fanatic! I love all her artwork, Disney and non Disney alike. Thank you very much for posting that link! Those illustrations are from a golden book called "Little Verses," which is one of my favorites.

As far as purchasing prints of her non-Disney work, Mary Blair's family did have a website where they were selling many wonderful prints of her non-Disney artwork. But that site was closed, and I haven't been able to find any info on why. (If anyone could help me with this, I'd love it!) Luckily, I was able to purchase most of those prints before they closed, including the one Disney print they sold, for which they got a license. (And I personally have a sneaking suspicion that the deal with Disney might have something to do with the website's demise. Deal gone awry, maybe?) I've been meaning to write a letter to them and ask, they were really nice to deal with. Anyhow the Disney one is beautiful, it was the cover art for the first Sleeping Beauty golden book. (which is really interesting because that was done freelance well after she left Disney, before IASW. She did not work on the film Sleeping Beauty.)

So since that option is gone, is far as non-Disney goes, I'd just suggest getting her two children's books which are currently in print. "I Can Fly" by Ruth Krauss, is the most popular she ever did, it's never been out of print. And a couple years ago, they re-released "The Up and Down Book" as a board book. This I was really excited about when it came out because an original copy from the late 60s is very rare. It is the only Mary Blair illustrated book that I don't own a 1st edition of. But, I believe, in this new release they changed the colors, (I'm not 100% sure since I don't have an original, but I'm pretty sure) If they did, it's a shame. The joy of Mary Blair is her color choices. But, it's still worth getting, just for the charming illustrations. Also, I always see a seller on ebay selling original magazine ads from the 50s with her artwork on it. She did a lot of commercial work during that period.

As far as Disney stuff goes, I was rather disappointed with "The Art and Flair Of Mary Blair", but it's still a must have. Another must have is "Before The Animation Begins" which was also written by John Canemaker. Excellent, excellent book! Not just for the BIG chapter on Mary Blair (the biggest one in the book) but for all the other chapters on all the interesting Disney concept artists. And of course, all the recent print on demands available at the gallery.

Anyhow, here's a pic i happened to have online (i posted it as a thank you to my friend who framed my "Juice Girl" print) It's my view as I type this.(Nevermind my mess) you can see my Mary Blair "Juice Girl" print and a piece of the IASW concept print they used for decor in the Disneyland Hotel rooms. When they remodeled during the resort expansion they sold these, and i managed to get my grubby hands on one!

http://home.socal.rr.com/genevievebu...egirlframe.jpg

Any other Mary Blair Fans here in micechat?

My wife and I had a baby a month ago at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank. On the fourth floor of the Northeast Building, the postpartum recovery women's center, the walls are adorned with Mary Blair artwork. The images reflect designs for it's a small world, the Tomorrowland mural and the South American films Saludos Amigos and Three Caballeros.

One night, we walked around the floor to look at all of the images. I took pictures of several of the pieces. Here I was pretty excited that they had Mary Blair artwork all around but one of the nurses saw us looking at them and commented on how ugly they were. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Anyway, I saw this topic and thought I'd pop in and let you know that I posted some of my pictures of Mary Blair's artwork to the web, if you'd like to see them. They are part of an article found at http://www.startedbyamouse.com/happenings/DTLCA04.shtml Clicking on the thumbnails will show larger views of the artwork.

Regards,
    Matt

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Wow... thank you for sharing those pictures! I know where I want to have my baby delivered... some day
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Oooh, La-la! These are some of the nicest pictures I've seen of the murals yet! Thank you for sharing them.

Does anyone know of any other places where Blair's murals/artwork are on public or quasi-public display (besides the parks). The only other one I know of is at the Jules Stein Eye Center @ UCLA:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...=11661&forum=6

• I'm your huckleberry.

Okay, if I ever have another baby, I'm SOOOO having it at that hospital! That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by StartedByAMouse
    My wife and I had a baby a month ago at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank. On the fourth floor of the Northeast Building, the postpartum recovery women's center, the walls are adorned with Mary Blair artwork. The images reflect designs for it's a small world, the Tomorrowland mural and the South American films Saludos Amigos and Three Caballeros.

One night, we walked around the floor to look at all of the images. I took pictures of several of the pieces. Here I was pretty excited that they had Mary Blair artwork all around but one of the nurses saw us looking at them and commented on how ugly they were. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Anyway, I saw this topic and thought I'd pop in and let you know that I posted some of my pictures of Mary Blair's artwork to the web, if you'd like to see them. They are part of an article found at http://www.startedbyamouse.com/happenings/DTLCA04.shtml Clicking on the thumbnails will show larger views of the artwork.

Regards,
    Matt
    Congrats on your new baby! Oh my! Thank you SO much for sharing those pictures! I had seen that picture of mary blair with the Nuns before but never made a connection. All the other disney decorations are cool too! I think it's so cool that the artwork they have there shows a wide variety of her imagineering work; the IASW concepts, the 67 tile mural concepts and her work for the contemporary. As you said they don't just let anyone in there, so thanks again! I'm SO using one for my sig!

As for the nurse who thought it was ugly...... no comment!

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Oooh, La-la! These are some of the nicest pictures I've seen of the murals yet! Thank you for sharing them.

Does anyone know of any other places where Blair's murals/artwork are on public or quasi-public display (besides the parks). The only other one I know of is at the Jules Stein Eye Center @ UCLA:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...=11661&forum=6
    The only one i can think of off the top of my head (And i'm not even sure if it's still there or not, i just remember reading about it) Was a small tile mural she created for a wading pool in a park somewhere in Long Island, during the time she still lived there. I've never seen pictures, i've only read about it. That would be awesome if it were still there, i'd so make a day trip to go see it next i go to NY. Other then that i cant think of any. Hey fastpassmountain, have you even been to the jules stein eye center? I have never been but i've always wanted to make a short day trip out of it since i've heard of it. Thanks for that link by the way! Anyone else been or want to go?

• Ian The Fox

I think my two favorite Mary Blair pieces would have to be the two tomorrowland murals that are now sadly gone. When I went to WDW, I took the monorail over to the Contemporary to see the mural in there ere it be removed soon.
    Woof!

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by MooglePower
    When I went to WDW, I took the monorail over to the Contemporary to see the mural in there ere it be removed soon.
    Wait! What this about them removing that mural? I haven't heard about that.

• Senior Minion

The Easter Bunny artwork reminds me of "The Velveteen Rabbit" I read as a kid. Still have that book too.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast