Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: My name is Keith and I photograph Dolls.

Beautiful pics man! the colors are amazing. Really cool looking dolls too. I've never seen anything like them before.

Thanks for sharing

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The Blythe doll (and other variations, ball-jointed dolls, fashion dolls, etc) are photographed by many people all over the place in real world settings - not 'crazy' or indecent or weird, there are whole books of such and it's a recognized phenomenon. Doesn't make a person 'weird' or some kind of a creep at all, to my way of thinking.

Art is of course subjective, and things may seem 'creepy' that others find fine artistically, that's natural - but the personal aspersions and character judgements in this thread at times seem a bit much to me.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Interesting subject matter, but gorgeous pictures. I don't think OP should have to listen to these negative comments.

The OP is an artist. The whole point of a piece of art is to invoke some type of feeling or emotion. Judging by some of the comments in this thread, I'd say he succeeded. Some are disturbed, some are intrigued. Mission accomplished. subject matter aside, the OP has a talent for photography. I think everyone can agree on that.

• At the bottom

I think your images are very good!

Though, I probably fall into the category of "Not easily offended by inanimate objects."

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

Well that's one way to capture Disneyland photos.

• Donald's #1 Fan

To each their own, but I wish mods would at least remove the last pic.

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    To each their own, but I wish mods would at least remove the last pic.
    I agree.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks the last photo, which several of you publicly and privately believed was topless, was removed. You may or may not find this thread to be of interest to you, but as RegionsBeyond said above,
    the personal aspersions and character judgements in this thread at times seem a bit much.
    In fact several of them are personal attacks, and as most of you know, MiceChat does not allow such judgmental comments about others. You can react to the topic, which is the art and hobby of photographing dolls, but in doing so you may not in any way mock the OP. Do so, and you risk your own reputation rapidly sinking.

Thanks for your understanding and your follow-through from this point on.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I'd first like to start off by saying that I understood going into this thread that I was not posting within the dolly community - something I don't often do with this subject matter - so I embrace all of the different viewpoints and expect them. I think that's the beautiful thing about art. Someone hates my photos, someone loves them. I knew this when I "signed up" to become a fine arts photographer.

I have to admit that I was deeply hurt by some of the comments made - not because they talked about my art, but because they reflected on me as a person in a negative, unapproachable, and very unrealistic way. I am a very nice, friendly, and in many ways "normal" guy. Someone here sarcastically said I get a bite to eat or ride a ride after I take my photos to prove a point, but that's literally what I do. There is no secret dungeon that I live in, and this is obviously not my day job. Everyone has their quirks. And I do believe that mine is quite harmless.

That being said, I was also very "thrown off" by some of the reactions because this is not the first time I have done this. I have been photographing dolls for 5 years. I have been playing and observing dolls since I was old enough to steal my cousin's. It's not something creepy or unusual, or something I'm using as an unhealthy form of coping with something. It's just who I am. It's what makes me "go" when I'm feeling down. I am often approached at Disneyland - actually very often - about what I do. Sometimes by cast members, sometimes by regular guests, from all over the world. But 9 times out of 10 they are very interested, intrigued, and shockingly many of them are guys. I cannot count how many times I have been asked where to purchase one, only to disappoint them when I say "Ebay." But still, they are happy to see her. Something about Blythes just brings joy to people - even those who are otherwise exempt from the hobby. It's not something supernatural or voodoo-esque... it's just humanity and the basic appreciation of beauty that differs amongst everyone. I'm scared to death of butterflies... some people get happy when they see them. Case in point.

I respect the mods' decision to remove my last photo. But I also want to make clear that, though some have read it to be otherwise, I was aiming for the sophisticated look of expressionistic painting. Something like the work of Botticelli / Birth of Venus, where the subject matter is more "purity" than "nudity." But I can see where people are coming from so I respect that. I know that art is sometimes controversial this way.

But I'd also like to thank the mods for stepping in and addressing what was starting to look like bullying. I have NEVER been approached - by a cast member or otherwise - in a way that suggested my photographing dolls was in any way affecting the quality of their day/visit. Some cast members know me and Blythe. It's not something I do in secret... obviously (it is Disneyland).

So thank you to EVERYONE for sharing your thoughts, because that is what I wanted when I made this post. I just ask that we remember our humanity when expressing our opinions. There's nothing wrong or remotely concerning about what I do, but if it's not you're cup of tea, that's great too! Search "Blythe" on Flickr and open your eyes to 1,000 more people just like me - just not at Disneyland.

Thanks! ~

Keith,

My daughter and I are at the parks quite often and I hope to run into you sometime. I'd love to meet you and thank you in person for educating our Micechat community. Keep up what makes you happy.

BTW, I love your work. I had to look at the pics a number of times to take in all that went into them. I then checked out your website. Good stuff.

Jim

• Parking Lot > DCA

Great post Keith.

Keep doing your thing, man. Not everything is for everyone - but as long as it's for you that is all that really matters.

Nice photos.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    I'd first like to start off by saying that I understood going into this thread that I was not posting within the dolly community - something I don't often do with this subject matter - so I embrace all of the different viewpoints and expect them. I think that's the beautiful thing about art. Someone hates my photos, someone loves them. I knew this when I "signed up" to become a fine arts photographer.

I have to admit that I was deeply hurt by some of the comments made - not because they talked about my art, but because they reflected on me as a person in a negative, unapproachable, and very unrealistic way. I am a very nice, friendly, and in many ways "normal" guy. Someone here sarcastically said I get a bite to eat or ride a ride after I take my photos to prove a point, but that's literally what I do. There is no secret dungeon that I live in, and this is obviously not my day job. Everyone has their quirks. And I do believe that mine is quite harmless.

That being said, I was also very "thrown off" by some of the reactions because this is not the first time I have done this. I have been photographing dolls for 5 years. I have been playing and observing dolls since I was old enough to steal my cousin's. It's not something creepy or unusual, or something I'm using as an unhealthy form of coping with something. It's just who I am. It's what makes me "go" when I'm feeling down. I am often approached at Disneyland - actually very often - about what I do. Sometimes by cast members, sometimes by regular guests, from all over the world. But 9 times out of 10 they are very interested, intrigued, and shockingly many of them are guys. I cannot count how many times I have been asked where to purchase one, only to disappoint them when I say "Ebay." But still, they are happy to see her. Something about Blythes just brings joy to people - even those who are otherwise exempt from the hobby. It's not something supernatural or voodoo-esque... it's just humanity and the basic appreciation of beauty that differs amongst everyone. I'm scared to death of butterflies... some people get happy when they see them. Case in point.

I respect the mods' decision to remove my last photo. But I also want to make clear that, though some have read it to be otherwise, I was aiming for the sophisticated look of expressionistic painting. Something like the work of Botticelli / Birth of Venus, where the subject matter is more "purity" than "nudity." But I can see where people are coming from so I respect that. I know that art is sometimes controversial this way.

But I'd also like to thank the mods for stepping in and addressing what was starting to look like bullying. I have NEVER been approached - by a cast member or otherwise - in a way that suggested my photographing dolls was in any way affecting the quality of their day/visit. Some cast members know me and Blythe. It's not something I do in secret... obviously (it is Disneyland).

So thank you to EVERYONE for sharing your thoughts, because that is what I wanted when I made this post. I just ask that we remember our humanity when expressing our opinions. There's nothing wrong or remotely concerning about what I do, but if it's not you're cup of tea, that's great too! Search "Blythe" on Flickr and open your eyes to 1,000 more people just like me - just not at Disneyland.

Thanks! ~
    Great post dude don't let anyone change you!

• ^_~.

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    Someone here sarcastically said I get a bite to eat or ride a ride after I take my photos to prove a point, but that's literally what I do. There is no secret dungeon that I live in, and this is obviously not my day job. Everyone has their quirks. And I do believe that mine is quite harmless.
    Thanks! ~
    That was me, and I really hope I didn't cause any offense. I just couldn't figure out what else was expected to "happen next" after taking the topless doll photograph. You're right, though, I was trying to make the point that people who are into dolls are no more or less weird than anyone else.

I think doll hobbies have been given a bad rap. I rolled my eyes when I heard people in a retail store talking about a few women who were shopping and had their ball-jointed dolls with them. The people were talking about "those people with the creepy dolls" and saying absurd things like that the male dolls supposedly had specially jointed boy parts and that the dolls could have "relations" with each other. I tried to explain what the hobby was actually about, but I don't think I got through. There seems to be this stigma about adults with dolls that there must be something creepy going on. For every doll enthusiast I've ever met, talked to, or read about, it's not a weird fetish thing; it's a fun hobby, in the way stamp-collecting is a hobby for some. Not everybody understands or enjoys it --heck, I don't understand or enjoy stamp-collecting-- but a person shouldn't be judged or made to feel bad because of the things they like to do.

I'm glad you posted your photos and that you shed some light on the subject of Blythe dolls, and on doll photography in general. I have seen some gorgeous photographs of dolls taken everywhere from people's backyards to inside the Tower of London, and I always love seeing the different places people take their dolls. Keep taking those beautiful photos!

PS, Tabitha says "Hi!"
    Name:  tabitha.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  26.9 KB
    Last edited by ChaseTheDream; 06-02-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123