Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Do you have fear of The Big One?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Best advice? Be prepared. Have a 72 hour kit, have food and water storage. Know escape routes in your area. Then, when it does come, or any major quake, you will have the knowledge that you have supplies and will be okay.
    That is the biggest concern I have about a big one, there is only 1 way in and out of the town I live in, and any big quake is likely to cause a landslide blocking off the highway, so i know we would be stuck here for who knows how long. Even a major rain storm has caused a 1-2 day closure before due to slides.

Apparently we also have a volcano overlooking town, but luckily its been dormant for eons and shows no signs of becoming active anytime soon.

I am in British Columbia though.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    That is the biggest concern I have about a big one, there is only 1 way in and out of the town I live in, and any big quake is likely to cause a landslide blocking off the highway, so i know we would be stuck here for who knows how long. Even a major rain storm has caused a 1-2 day closure before due to slides.

Apparently we also have a volcano overlooking town, but luckily its been dormant for eons and shows no signs of becoming active anytime soon.

I am in British Columbia though.
    There are dangers in any location, be they weather, fire, geology, etc. The key is knowing the dangers of where you live, and preparing for them. In your case, it seems several days survival cut off is a good one to prepare for. We can't prepare for literally everything so you cover the basics, and then rather than let worry ruin your day, live knowing you're ready and deal with whatever happens when it happens.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Nope, not worried at all. Nothing I can do about it, anyway, if it decides to hit, so yeah, not going to spend any time worrying. I will do what I want, and deal with whatever happens.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Substitute Princess

Earthquakes come and earthquakes go, and there's really nothing we can do except be as prepared as we can. Fear doesn't really help anything!

I'd hate to be in Disneyland if the Big One hits in my lifetime. I can only imagine the hysteria from all those people trying to leave...

Nah, I don't worry about it at all and I've lived in California my entire life!

• Dole Whip Fiend

I was pretty much on top of the '94 Northridge quake. We had some collapsed buildings, collapsed freeway overpasses / bridges, no water or power in my area for a few days (granted you could drive a few miles away and there was water and power) and dozens of deaths. Had it happened at 4:30 PM instead of 4:30 AM, the death toll would have been a lot higher. I can assure you, DLR was the last thing on my mind. I've done some preparation at the house for the next one, but otherwise I don't live in fear... that's no way to live as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'm not sure how bad the damage at Disneyland would be if it experienced something similar, but maybe our geologist friend who posted earlier could probably tell us how far it is from the closest known fault. Maybe it would finally topple the old People Mover tracks though and put them out of their misery.

Yeah, Northridge was our first quake, and we were in east Simi for it. Was shocking to my senses at the time, but I got used to the aftershocks, and I'm good now. Have had a few small quakes in this house, and am totally not worried. The only thing we might have a hard time with the first few days after a quake would be water, but even that can be managed, I suspect. Got food, a barbecue to cook and a gas powered stove, don't take meds, cash on hand (because credit cards won't be able to verify or make charges until the power comes back on, same for ATMs)... we're good.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I have lived in California all my life and though obviously the big one could hit, I don't think anyone who grew up here gives it much of a thought. To most Californians, I think, tornadoes seem far more scary. Of course, my family in the Midwest who have never been in an earthquake would disagree.

Been around little tornadoes in the midwest, thunderstorms that shake the house, hail, wind, rain- love it all. Not afraid.

Moved here, and learned to handle earthquakes. My mother was visiting here in CA one time and we had a little shaker. Her eyes got real wide, and she started looking around (expecting imminent death? possibly) but then all that happened was the lamp shook a tiny bit and she relaxed.

About the only thing I haven't been around is a flood, and I can live quite nicely without that one.

We moved to SoCal 6 years ago from Idaho, where we had an earthquake every decade or so. After a few years of living here we take the quakes in stride. We have felt 3 pretty good sized ones in the last few months that have garnered little more than an "Oh, are we having an earthquake --- pass the butter."

I do admit though that pretty much every single time I am on Pirates or California Screamin' I think to myself "I really hope an earthquake doesn't hit right now." However, it is nothing more than a passing thought. If it happens, it happens. California is pretty well prepared for an earthquake and I would honestly rather live with the possibility of "the big one" than live in tornado alley.
    Last edited by Bobbee; 06-29-2014 at 09:37 PM.

It is something to think about... but, you could never go anywhere if you were trying to pick a place that would be safe.... I remember waiting for a call about (1989) a friend who drove the Nimitz freeway every day..... so... highways?
    Earthquakes... get to me more than they should after so many years
    I guess I don't think devastation but of inconvenience....... the lines at the rest rooms of the thousands of people stuck there while OC clears the roads and repairs traffic signals........... imagine.....
    "I'm stuck at Disneyland".....

could I live on beignets for a few days?

•   
    • Minion

One of the things that's made me feel better about the earthquakes here is checking the quake tracker. It shows you how many earthquakes we have every week. When you realize there are 30 or so, and they're so small that you don't even feel them, you realize it's just a part of life here.

Recent Earthquakes for Los_Angeles
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    I remember after the quake in Whittier Narrows in 87 (I was in 7th grade) they showed us videos saying IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN in the next 20 years, we were all freaked out, lol. After the dual Northridge quakes we rode our bikes up to the beach, hoping there would be waves, but there wasnt (great idea huh?). On the bike ride home the 2nd quake hit and it was trippy, all the trees were shaking, the cars were squeaking back and forth, cats were running all crazy across the street, and the asphalt looked liquified as it rippled. It was very erie, almost like it was windy, without the wind.
    We are the same age because I was in 7th grade during that one. LOL I was walking to jr high when it hit. I was glad to be walking with a friend that morning though cause that was scary. We saw the ground go up like a wave. Will never forget that for sure.
    I grew up in Burbank so that Northridge one was the worse I have ever dealt with. That was scary as could be. I worked in a basement during those days at NBC so felt many more aftershocks then I probably would have too. I swear I hear a noise that sounds like that day though and I have to sometimes take a second to realize its not an earthquake coming but a truck or something else.
    Really though I have always said, like many others, that I rather live here and deal with earthquakes than ever deal with tornadoes or hurricanes. As well as I have heard forever about the big one coming. I think every time we have an earthquake here they bring it up too on the news. It gets a little old but whatever. It will happen when it happens and nothing anyone can do but just try to be prepared.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

There are numerous other things that could wreak havoc aside from 'The Big One' and while still unlikely are probably higher up the scale of possibility than a nasty trembler. An extended power outage comes to mind, say something on the order of 5-7 days. While not as 'exciting' as an earthquake it could be devastating.

All you can do is have some sense of a plan on what you are going to do, prepare as you feel necessary, and roll with the punches.

Guys... this earthquake will be like Japan's or even stronger.... I don't know how the majority of you are relaxed!?
    Here I stand, in the light of day, let the storm rage on!!! The cold never bothered me anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast