Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sad Do you have fear of The Big One?

When will the Big One strike California? - The Week
    I don't want to be pesimist, but unfortunately, it will occur... I don't know exactly when, but according to the text, sometime in the next 30 years. I'm really worried about this, it could cause thousands of deaths.. and I don't know if DL will or won't survive this mega earthquake...
    what do you guys think about this?
    Here I stand, in the light of day, let the storm rage on!!! The cold never bothered me anyway.

Re: Do you have fear of The Big One?

The "Big One" has been looming over Californians as early as I can remember. They were even talking about the Big One in the 60's. We had grown out of cold war "Nuke Drills" and had "Earthquake drills" in school. It's something you live with if you live in CA.

Just don't let me be on an elevated ride when it happens.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• "Always On The Move..."

I agree .. they've been talking about "The Big One" ever since i was little and it's almost always "in the next 30 years" (and they'[ve been saying that for the past 50 or 60 years from what I can find out) So this is nothing new. Just be prepared as you can be and don't worry about it. At least it's not like the tornados and hurricans that are every year in some parts of the US.
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 06-28-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

If I'm at DL when it does, I hope I'm on the Mark Twain, not the Monorail.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Will it happen............Yes!

Could it destroy Disneyland.............Yes!

Will it happen in our lifetime..........probably not!

Will you be at Disneyland when it happens..........not likely unless you're an AP holder

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Minion

I do not worry about these kinds of things. I can't control them so why bother.

Tbh, the thing I would be the most concerned about when the Big One happens is the Disneyland Resort.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by JoseDL View Post
    When will the Big One strike California? - The Week
    I don't want to be pesimist, but unfortunately, it will occur... I don't know exactly when, but according to the text, sometime in the next 30 years. I'm really worried about this, it could cause thousands of deaths.. and I don't know if DL will or won't survive this mega earthquake...
    what do you guys think about this?
    I remember after the quake in Whittier Narrows in 87 (I was in 7th grade) they showed us videos saying IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN in the next 20 years, we were all freaked out, lol. After the dual Northridge quakes we rode our bikes up to the beach, hoping there would be waves, but there wasnt (great idea huh?). On the bike ride home the 2nd quake hit and it was trippy, all the trees were shaking, the cars were squeaking back and forth, cats were running all crazy across the street, and the asphalt looked liquified as it rippled. It was very erie, almost like it was windy, without the wind.

•   
    • Minion

I have my earthquake kit and emergency supplies, but there's nothing I can do to control what happens or doesn't happen, so I can't spend my time stressing about it. Any place you live you're going to have something to worry about; if you're in the Midwest you've got tornadoes and if you're in the South you've got hurricanes. All you can do is be prepared. There have been one or two earthquakes here that have worried me, but again, I feel that worrying won't change anything.

They've done a lot to retrofit old buildings and fit new ones to be as seismically strong as possible. I remember reading that the subway system in Los Angeles, for instance, was built to withstand an earthquake of 8+ magnitude. I'm sure they've done the same at Disneyland. We've had tons and tons of small earthquakes since Disneyland opened so they have to think about it and plan accordingly. I will admit that I'd rather not be on something like Space Mountain when there's a quake, though.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Nic

I didn't realize the website was called 'The Week'. I thought for a second there it was saying the Big One was coming this week ...
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Its very unlikely that "The Big One" would happen soon. The earthquakes that happen on a regular basis in California tend to relieve some pressure on the fault, which makes it less likely.
    Come Along, Pond!

I always figured if it happened while I was in Disneyland I'd be okay with dying in the park. It might sounds morbid and kinda crazy but I'd be okay with passing in a place I loved so much.
    Now that I have kids, though....that idea doesn't sound so romantic. I just want my babies to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I have zero fear of the big one.
    And we wonder why, Mr. Arizona.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I have zero fear of the big one.

I've heard about the big one ever since I was born, 39 years ago.

If it hit, the last thing I'd probably care about would be Disneyland, BTW.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast