Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Older MiceChatter Looking For New Music Suggestions

Here it is...just thought I'd put it out there. I'll be 50 years old in June, and I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I'm asking some of my younger MiceChat friends for help.
    I grew up with Elvis, the Beach Boys and Beatles, and listened to what they used to call Top 40 radio until about 1980.
    My musical tastes run from ancient (my favorite) Nat King Cole to Motown to what's referred to as 70's classic rock to country (I worked at a country music radio station for nearly 20 years).
    I'd like to start listening to some newer stuff...so I would like your advice.
    What current (or within the last ten years) pop or rock or even country acts do you like or recommend?
    I don't like rap, hip-hop or heavy metal, and lyrics do actually mean something in a song to me.
    Suggestions, please?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Re: Older MiceChatter Looking For New Music Suggestions

I'm just a hair's breath younger than you and there are quite a few of my faves on that list also. I like music I can sing with. Might I suggest Bonnie Rait, John Mayer, Smash Mouth and the Bare Naked Ladies. I also enjoy the newer offerings of Rod Stewart and Cindi Lauper (a hugely under rated artist). Good luck, hope this helps.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

You might like Seal. All his music is excellent. Here's one of his albums:

• most magical vaca ever

Jet

Maroon 5

The Killers

Just to name a few....
    ~~~~~~

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Try Death Cab for Cutie's new album Plans. The music is beautiful and the lyrics are top notch.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• horsin' around!

2 words.. Jack Johnson
    my 17yr old son got me listening to him & now i'm hooked!!!
    he also does a song with Curious George! haha!
    okay..curious george dances around & looks adorable..Jack does all the singing!!!

The new music video for "Upside Down," the first single for animated feature "Curious George" is now available! Click "FILMS" and then "BONUS VIDEO" to launch this video!

one of my favorite Jack Johnson songs is called Breakdown

• Incognito

Blog Entries

The Gorrillas, Nine Inch Nails, Cold Play, to name a few.

• Gay Man

There are a LOT of great contemporary remixes of older songs. The 3 disc Verve Remix discs are incredible versions of classic songs with a contemporary twist. In that same vein, I love Ursula 1000 for his hip, swanky 60's feel music.

There's a lot of great stuff out there right now.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Ben Harper.
    I suggest, that you go to amazon.com and type in all the suggestions that you have been given. From there, check out the samples and listen to them to see what you like.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Radiobarry - My mother is 50, her partner 58, they both LOVE Green Day, Franz Ferdinand, Seal, Jack Johnson, Sheryl Crow, No Doubt/Gwen Stefani, Melissa Etheridge... just to name a few. They're also into heavy metal, but those are their more "tame" choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Happy Memories

Many excellent suggestions already. I would also add Jason Mraz to the list.

• Gay Man

There are a few great streaming radio stations out there that I love. KCRW is the best. Try Morning Becomes Eclectic for a great mix.

Also, Pandora is also a GREAT way to discover new music. Just type in a song or artist you love and they will start playing things that are related. Sometimes they miss, but sometimes you discover great stuff.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Here it is...just thought I'd put it out there. I'll be 50 years old in June, and I'm trying to expand my musical horizons. I'm asking some of my younger MiceChat friends for help.
    I grew up with Elvis, the Beach Boys and Beatles, and listened to what they used to call Top 40 radio until about 1980.
    My musical tastes run from ancient (my favorite) Nat King Cole to Motown to what's referred to as 70's classic rock to country (I worked at a country music radio station for nearly 20 years).
    I'd like to start listening to some newer stuff...so I would like your advice.
    What current (or within the last ten years) pop or rock or even country acts do you like or recommend?
    I don't like rap, hip-hop or heavy metal, and lyrics do actually mean something in a song to me.
    Suggestions, please?
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooo we must always listen to the oldies but goodies!! I love the seventys, and mo town ( wish I had it all ) and I love oldies country and well I like old!! I wish I had more on cd, but I go to oldies sites to listen. Yep I am an old fart in a pretty dress

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Looks like I've got some homework to do..I really appreciate it, gang...keep the ideas coming...I'll let you know what I think of the suggestions...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• California Adventurer

Happily inside Disney California Adventure ... or at the nearest theme park I can find.

If lyrics are important in the quality of a song, then you might like the rock/pop music of singer/songwriter Jason Mraz.
    www.jasonmraz.com

For contemporary standards, try Michael Buble.
    www.michaelbuble.com

Both of these singers have great voices, good melodies in their songs, and wonderful stage presence.
    Yes, I do LOVE Disney California Adventure. Disneyland is not so bad either ;-)

• See my photography regularly in MiceChat's "In The Parks" updates, published each Friday.
    • Follow my theme-park adventures on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ThemeParkTimes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast