Thread: Guitar Help

• R.I.P. Mandy

Guitar Help

Yesterday, I was tuning my new guitar. When I plucked the thickest string, my tuner said it was around C, so I tuned it to C, thinking that was where it was supposed to be. I later find out that string is supposed to be tuned to E! So what should I do? Is it okay to tune the string two notes up to get to E? Or should I tune it waaaay down to get to that E?
    Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

Screw eHarmony- I met my soulmate at Star Trek: The Experience.

Random funny exchange from Star Trek: The Experience:

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."
    Guest: "On stun?"
    BF: "Maybe....."
    Me: "I wouldn't trust him."

• Banned User

Re: Guitar Help

Sally, mom is also trying to learn the guitar, get a good tuner, she got a cheap one and it did not work right. get a better one, she got one and it tunes the guitar perfect. also on netflix, you can get guitar DCDs that help teach you. Good luck hon and I hope you master it. I love the sounds of guitars!

• Plastic Monkey

strings when left for a while tend to down tune themselves . my telecaster will tune itself to low d in about five minutes. cheap

e,a,d,g,b,e, (left to right) is standard tuning,

it depends where you have tuned the string to, if it has a higher pitch than a (2nd string from the left) then it needs to be downtuned, if its lower it needs to be tuned up. im guessing up, but without hearing what it sounds like its hard to say,

• Rally Time!

Sally - so cool you are learning the guitar.

i have a ukulele myself and found a e-tuner on line for it a few years back.

i just googled and found this site for you, same thing but for the guitar

http://www.dreadscott.com/Guitar.html
    a friend of Walt.

• R.I.P. Mandy

Thanks for the help everyone. I think you have a good point J9000, because who knows how long my guitar was sitting in its box before I bought it!

I tested all the strings again today, this time using a guide for which note each string it supposed to be on. It turns out all of them were a note or two below where they should have been, so I just tuned them all up. But now when I strum it, it actually sounds like a guitar!
    Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

Screw eHarmony- I met my soulmate at Star Trek: The Experience.

Random funny exchange from Star Trek: The Experience:

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."
    Guest: "On stun?"
    BF: "Maybe....."
    Me: "I wouldn't trust him."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have a Korg tuner that works pretty well on both my guitars (I have 2 electrics). Only problem is I suck at playing! LOL! I knwo a handful of chords and I can kind of play a couple songs but that's anout it.

• Smells like beer

Definitely buy yourself a tuner but, also teach yourself to tune by ear. It takes a while but makes you a better guitar player. First piece of advice, don't be a wuss The strings are gonna shred your fingers, it burns something fierce but, the more you play the quicker the pain goes away. You should check out this web-site www.ultimate-guitar.com They have lots of lessons and when you get good enough, just about every song by every band EVER. I really don't think you need to learn how to read music, its really not necessary if you just wanna have fun with guitar. Learn how to read tablature though. Its SOOOOO much easier.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• Smells like beer

Oh yea and the standard tuning is (fat string first) E,A,D,G,B,E, but you can tune the guitar just about anyway you want. Just don't tune it up to much or else you will break a string or warp the neck. My guitar is tuned C,G,C,F,A,C
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by J9000
    strings when left for a while tend to down tune themselves . my telecaster will tune itself to low d in about five minutes. cheap

e,a,d,g,b,e, (left to right) is standard tuning,

it depends where you have tuned the string to, if it has a higher pitch than a (2nd string from the left) then it needs to be downtuned, if its lower it needs to be tuned up. im guessing up, but without hearing what it sounds like its hard to say,
    J9000; my telecaster never goes out of tune the trick is having a good set up, and having good set of tuning keys on it (kluson Delux) another trick when tuning is on the low "e" start low and work up to the and do this on every string

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBeer
    Definitely buy yourself a tuner but, also teach yourself to tune by ear. It takes a while but makes you a better guitar player.
    I don't think knowing how to tune by ear will make you a better player. spending to much time worring about tuning by ear just gets in the way of playing. as for tuners my cheap one I got on ebay for $10.00 works better than my fender AG-6

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by SallySkellington
    Yesterday, I was tuning my new guitar. When I plucked the thickest string, my tuner said it was around C, so I tuned it to C, thinking that was where it was supposed to be. I later find out that string is supposed to be tuned to E! So what should I do? Is it okay to tune the string two notes up to get to E? Or should I tune it waaaay down to get to that E?
    As accoustic guitar strings are played and left on the guitar to strech, they will slowly become out of tune from the tention stretching them out, so sence you've already stretched them farther then normal, all your doing is just speeding up the process. Eventually, they will come to a resting point where you can tune them and they will stay tuned for quite a while. But for now, just tune them to where they should be, and enjoy your guitar.

• Plastic Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54
    J9000; my telecaster never goes out of tune the trick is having a good set up, and having good set of tuning keys on it (kluson Delux) another trick when tuning is on the low "e" start low and work up to the and do this on every string
    its a squier!

new tuners are waiting to be installed, just waiting on some more parts.

i got it as a modifying project. original plan was a built in tremolo like bo diddley, going to place a tube screamer in it instead.

Sally,
    lightbeers suggestion of ultimate guitar is a good one, find songs you want to learn and teach yourself, because it gives you the motivation to learn something you want to. a book can be helpful as well.
    just dont give up! good luck.

• Smells like beer

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54
    I don't think knowing how to tune by ear will make you a better player. spending to much time worring about tuning by ear just gets in the way of playing. as for tuners my cheap one I got on ebay for $10.00 works better than my fender AG-6
    Yea.......you sure wouldn't wanna LISTEN to what you're playing, that would just get in the way.......
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find

• Minion

It doesn't really matter what tuner you get. If you know the note of the string you're trying to tune, adjust until the tuner tells you that the ote is in tune. A more expensive tuner isn't going to solve that problem. Tuners work by sensing vibrations, they can't tell which string you're plucking.

As for music, it's fun to play by ear, but if you want to really be successful, or make things easier in the long run, learn how to read. Your musical vocalbulary will be larger and your improvisation skills will be amazing. TRUST ME...