• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Raising a toast for New Orleans during Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras season has arrived. No matter how crazy it sounds New Orleans has a lot to celebrate and so I will celebrate with them. How about you?

I know it is going to take lots of time (years) and effort but one of our great cities has been battered and beaten but not broken beyond repair. Not only that but the rich culture of New Orleans and the rest of Southern Louisiana has been retained by the people there and the evacuees that are now spread around the country.

Even better is the fact that no matter how poor, all but a few of the thousands of musicians were able to lee and escape Katrina's wrath. Clarance "Gatemouth" Brown had a long battle with disease and his relocation from home expedited the death proceess. But the only death in the musical world directly related to Katrina, was Barry Cowsill (The Cowsills ie Hair) who was never found and was pronounced dead months later.

I know that some may think parades and such may be superflous at this time. However I disagree. All those who passed on to the Pearly gates deserve to be ceelbrated in traditional New Orleans style IMO. The folks down there have always had the greatest attitude about deaths. Instead of crying and being sad each life is celelbrated with a big party and a funeral march. Having Mardi Gras at this time may serve a purpose for mormality for the citizens of The Big Easy but there is another purpose that is even bigger and more important: Mardi Gras must be preserved in honor of all those who passed on during the hurricane.

So here's to New Orleans, its culture, and all she stands for. Cheers!

PS: Beignets anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

Re: Raising a toast for New Orleans during Mardi Gras

As a South Louisianaian, I completely agree. My greatgrandmother lost her apartment and is now staying with her daughter - Granny is driving her crazy making Laura take her to EVERY parade she hears about -- Mardi Gras was her thing before and now it seems to mean life can go on -- And to an 89 year old who lost SO many things in her life, that's saying ALOT!

Oh and I would love some beignets