• white and nerdy

Worst Job Ever!!! Best Job Ever!!!

Some one told me the other day that being a waiter was the hardest job ever. Granted, I've never been a waiter. My wife has, but... well she was technically a waitress..... anyway.

I couldn't help but think that the were full of crap. I've had some bad jobs.

-Custodian at BYU's Library. Why was this bad? Cuz lots and lots of BYU students don't seem able to flush the toilet. (By the way, I've heard from lots of other custodians that it's not just BYU students. It's just the way it is I suppose)
    -Corn Silo operator. I was in charge of cleaning the moldy corn out. It was like working in a dirty whiskey still. And it was hot... over 100 degrees inside... and humid. 11 hours a day.... ugh...
    -Vet assistant. For large animals. Spent 7 to 10 hours a day with my arm in the vaginal opening of bovine. Talk about a crappy job.
    -Feed Lot worker. Mostly I fed the cows and cleaned up the pens. Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of maggots. Seriously. More maggots than I can explain. Even the maggots had maggots.

Best Jobs?
    -Disney World Merch Host. I worked at the Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoasters Gift shops. It was nice
    -Night councillor at a RCA for teenage girls. Basically I get paid to play video games all night.

What about ya'll?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Worst Job Ever!!! Best Job Ever!!!

My worst job ever was...waiting tables at IHOP. I was truly the worst waitress that ever lived. I was constantly dropping things and getting orders wrong. Until I quit 3 weeks later.

Best job ever? Working as an Impounds rep for an auto finance company. I got to call towayards and police stations whenever our vehicles were impounded or towed (or occasionally seized by customs) and negotiate their release. It was so fun! Never the same thing twice.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I understand where you're coming from ... I worked at the Deseret Grain Elevators for a year...I've never seen so many mice in all my life...especially after they fumigated one of the spare silos...must have been tens of thousands of mice in there.

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    I understand where you're coming from ... I worked at the Deseret Grain Elevators for a year...I've never seen so many mice in all my life...especially after they fumigated one of the spare silos...must have been tens of thousands of mice in there.
    OMG! That would freak me out!!

Worst job -- telemarketer (I lasted 3 days)

Best job -- stay at home mom

• e komo mai

Worst job - McDonald's when I was 15.
    Best job - Being a paid theatre actor for a short period of time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Worst - nannying 2 kids, ages 13 and 10. They beat each other up, beat me up daily, were just horrible together. OK apart. Mean and rude and demanding. You know its bad when I like someone's dog better than them! (He was the sweetest!). It was even worse when their bunny rabbit died while on my watch... yeah, karma, dogs, try to do the right thing

My favorite job was when I was a nanny in NJ (kids 9 mos and almost 2, when I started). The parents were eh but the kids were wonderful. Precious, adorable, smart, well behaved most of the time... I had SO much fun with them. That was in 2001 and I still miss them and think about them and hope they're doing OK.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Nice idea for a thread, Joshualee!

Um...the worst was being a jan..er...I mean custodian for a summer. That and loading trucks at UPS. Actually, UPS was worse than being a janitor, but it was only 4 hours a night. But I worked my BUTT off!

Best....the one I have now. Being a professor of music is really pretty cool. I'm doing what I love, I work with talented kids all day long, I have a flexible schedule and the pay doesn't suck. Happy me!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Okay, so far thejoshualee is winning. You have had some interesting jobs, my friend! I, uh, have no complaints and I don't think I'm even entitled to any after reading all that. :yikes:

I think that everyone should be required to work in a restaurant and in retail at some point in their lives. The world would be a much nicer place if people were forced to work WITH each other instead of pulling that superiority BS you sometimes encounter in the service industry.
    A signature should go here.

• Again! Again! Again!

I haven't really had any bad jobs but I know a few I DON'T want...
    -delivering the Port-A-Potties or picks them up
    -Drive the truck around to clean out the Port-A-Potties.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• My cuties!

Drive the truck around to clean out the Port-A-Potties
    I did this one summer in a campground. Talk about disgusting!! I didn't have to clean them out, just make sure there was toilet paper, etc. Still very gross!

• Sock Puppet

Worst job: Dishwasher and chore boy for a rural, Oklahoma restaurant. The owner would come in, cut meat on the band saw, and not tell me. He'd wipe down the outside of the saw, wait a few days, *then* tell me to clean the meat saw. By this time, and I am NOT making this up, it would be completely infested with fly larvae (aka maggots). The smell was bad enough to curl paint.

Best job: Working at the Pentagon when I was 19 years old and a Navy E-3. I can't talk about what I did, but MAN was it cool! (Stuff that would scare Tom Clancy.)

• twinkletwinkle I'm a star

Worst job was as a sewing maching operator at a sewing plant in rural Georgia. Terrible!!! It was like I was in a third world country! You had to sit in one place all day-metal stools too!- and sew. If you had to use the bathroom you had to clock out and if you clocked out too many times during the shift- you were terminated. That's it. No excuses-nothing. And no radios allowed-or cell phones- or talking. It was the most excruciating day of my life! Just kidding- I made it a whole month before I quit.

Best job was keeping kids in my home. I loved it! Especially during the summer months. I had mostly school age kids during the summer and every day we did something different. We went to the lake, movies, library. We had a talent show, play and a bike rodeo! It was the best summer ever!

• Mousketeer

Best Job Ever: It's a tie between being paid not to flush the toilets at BYU, and planting mice in a grain elevator.

Worst Job: probably my current one, because of the people, not the job.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Best Job: Camera person and floor director at WQAD, in Quad Cities, IA.

Worst Job: Being handed a paper towel and asked to swab the dripping sweat off a producer's very hairy bare back during a summertime shoot on a cable-access show here in LA.