Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Day trip to San Francisco, What should I do?

My dad and I are going to San Francisco for a sightseeing day next week. We only have around 8 hours to see some sights. Any suggestions on where we should go, what we should see?

Firsherman's Wharf and a trip across the Golden Gate Bridge are the only things that we have to do.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Smells like beer

Take the embarcadero down past all of the piers, untill you get to Hyde st. make a left and drive up one of the steepest hills in SF. Keep going on Hyde untill you see Lombard make a left and drive down the worlds most crooked street. That's what I do when I go to SF but I only live like 20 minutes away so I can waste time. Stuff to see - Golden Gate, SBC park, Koit tower, Market St., Haight Ashbury, and Pier 39.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• Disney fans for life!

8 hours isn't much time considering traffic, so hang out along the wharf and enjoy playing tourist. Ghirardelli Square (must have their ice cream sundae's), Maritime Museum, Historical Pier at Aquatic Park, Scoma's restaurant for their Cioppino ($$$, but worth it), Pier 39 shops and Sea Lions. Palace of Fine Arts. Marina Greens area. Coit Tower.

Also, if you can, go for a walk around the Presidio. Beautiful grounds, especially the cemetery. Marin headlands have plenty of places to pull over and check out the views.

I love the City. Even though we only live across the Bay from it, we don't get to spend that much time there. Need a tour guide???

Have a GREAT time!

• Greetings, Program!

Fort Point. It's an old Civil War-era fort built directly under the Golden Gate. Just go to the top floor and look up. You really dont realize how big that bridge is until you stand under it!
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Banned User

The alcatraz tour is pretty awesome. But it does take a while, so it may use up most of your 8 hour day.

• Minion

If you're going to the wharf you might like the bay cruise, especially on a beautiful day. You get wonderful skyline vistas of the city, pass under the golden gate bridge and on the way back go around Alcatraz. Narrated all the way via loud speaker recording or head sets. Discount coupons are in all the tourist brochures.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Keep the ideas coming!

This trip was born out of a christmas present from my dad. Each of us kids get a day with him and get to choose the activity. He said we could go anywhere, do anything. I went through many options before deciding on San Francisco. We used to take trips there with him as a kid, back before the step-mom and step-sisters came along. This is a bit of nostalgia filled fun for me.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.

NO GOATS!

• It's all nonsense

It's always fun to watch the seals at pier 39, alcatraz is also interesting if you havn't been there before.

• Minion

A wonderful idea for a Christmas gift. You must have a very special dad!

• Disney fans for life!

Ortizmo2000-

Fort Point is a great idea, but I'm not sure that it is open as of yet. It was closed down to visitors after 9/11. Haven't heard anything about it lately. Easy to get to, just drive up to it and see if you can get in. (I think that you'll know real quick if it is still closed)

Mamabot-

Also, when you cross the GG, continue a few minutes over to Sausalito. Park and walk around. Beautiful scenery and a lot of great shops/dining.

Ditto on one of the Bay cruises. Especially if it is a nice day...

Enjoy your special day!

Some of my favorite things to do in San Francisco is go to the Japanesse Tea Gardens, the California Acadmey of Sciences, China Town, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Exloratorium and the Palace of Fine Arts, Nob Hill and Twin Peaks, the Cliff House and don't forget Lombard street!

• Waiting for the stork

assuming you want to stay near the wharf:
    just past the Maitime museum is a WW2 sub (I forget the name) that you can tour...It's pretty interesting.
    Ghiradelli, you MUST have a sunday.
    Ride a pedicab (it's fun and a great way to see some sites along Fishermans wharf.
    hop a cable car for a quick trip. (just check the routes so you don't get too far away)
    when I did that (years ago) we were able to do a roundtrip but I am not sure if they still do that. anyone?

I like strolling through the cannerey.
    Pier 39 to watch the sea lions.

If I think of anything else i'll let you know, (I'm drawing a blank right now)
    procrastibating

• Waiting for the stork

If leaving the wharf:

Lombard street (crookedest street in the world)
    Coit tower (great view)
    Tea gardens are beautiful.

(i haven't had enough coffee yet, that's all I can think of right now)
    as said above if I think of anything else i'll let ya know.
    procrastibating

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions. When we were kids, my dad took us to see the fort. I remember it being really fun.

I am going to make it a point of eating a sundae at Ghiradelli. That is something I have never done.

I have done the Sausilito thing a few times. It is one of my dad's favorite places. Heck, I have even walked across the GG and into Sausilito. :o

Keep the ideas coming! Any good restaurants we should try?

NO GOATS!

• Disney fans for life!

HOOTERS!!!

Too many restaurants, not enough time.

Scoma's on the wharf is my favorite. Cioppino.

You already have Ghirardelli's scheduled (the Golden Gate or Cable Car sundaes are tops!!!) While you are there, if Viet Namese (Thai) type food is to your liking, there is an excellent one right there called Ana ______ (???) It is owned by Don Johnson and Cheech Marin. A++++ (you can't miss it, it's right there in the square)

There are the regulars; Rainforest Cafe, Bubba Gumps, Fish Market, even In & Out Burger.

No matter how full that you get, you have to have some crab cocktail from the vender at the corner across from the Wharf sign (the big round one). I think that it's next to Alioto's. You can't miss it. It's the one with the line...

Plenty of places to have a chowder bowl too.

Stay away from the small cafe type shops that are along the tourist trap stores across the street. (questionable hygeine if you know what I mean...)

Have a GREAT time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast