Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Question I Need Sherlock Holmes or the Goonies!! (Please Help Me Solve a Theft)

Ok, this is getting disturbing, and now there's a mystery to solve (which may have to include setting some kind of "booby traps").

Last week, our carport storage closet was broken into. They cut or picked the lock (and apparently took it with them). This happened sometime between 3:30 - 6:30 during the day. They didn't take anything - but mainly just moved stuff around. So, we bought a new "fortress" lock and got everything secured again.

And, we've always had a couple non-important items just sitting below that - an old litterbox (bagged), a bag of paintbrushes and rollers, and some cheap vinyl car mats. Well, this morning, all three of those items were gone.

Now, here's why this is a huge mystery, and we're really hoping it's not what I'm thinking it is:

Ken found all three items discarded in the dumpster on the opposite end of our parking area (not the one we usually pass on our way to/from our apartment).

This has sent my brain into a little panic, and dreading that it may be our apartment complex doing it.

For a little backstory, some of you may recall that we were forced to take down our tiki patio decorations in January, of which we promptly complied, without raising a fuss. Well, also around that time, the office manager also mentioned the few items underneath our carport, and said that we'd need to remove those while they powerwashed the following week. So, we removed them, they powerwashed, and we put them back. The office manager let me know the following week that "you should lock those items away in your storage, because I saw some kids messing with them, and I'm sure you wouldn't want them to turn up missing". I told her they wouldn't fit, and that they weren't anything valuable anyway, and just things we might need on rare occasion. (Keep in mind that many other residents keep a few things underneath their carports as well, from old car batteries, to a broken chair, and other junk.) So, she suggested we just "throw them away" then. Well, we didn't. Afterall, other residents have more things under their carport than we do, and if we never needed them anymore, we would have thrown them away in the first place.

Then, she told me again the following week that she had to "chase some kids away" from our carport area, and that she would gladly check to see if there is a vacant storage closet that we could have. I said that would be nice, and she never responded back about it.

When the break-in happened last week, I emailed her the next day, and the response I got was that "we'll let the roving security know".

But, the incident this morning just makes me feel like we're being targeted by our complex for some reason. There are a lot of people who still have more decor and stuff on their patios than we ever did, so that adds to my suspicions as well.

This is really disconcerting, because we've been excellent tenents - always quiet, our rent is paid, and we never complain about anything, and our neighbors really like us, and we also keep a very clean and tidy home. I've even gone out of my way to publicly post constant good reviews on www.apartmentratings.com, because we've love the place so much.

So, to test our theory, Ken has retreived the three stolen and tossed items from the dumpster, and we're placing them back underneath our carport storage closet. We figure if it's a thief, they would already know what those items are and not bother with them again. But, if they turn up missing again, we think it may just be the apartment maintenance people.

However, I'm not about to let this go "quietly". Last weekend, I ordered a couple small 120db alarms that go off by either a having pull cord removed or by two flat metal pieces becoming seperated (when something is lifted off of them). So, we're rigging one within our storage closet, with a special release hook (where we can reach in and detach it, before fully opening the door). The other will be mounted in a hidden place under the storage, and then one of the three items placed atop the flat metal pieces, so if it's moved, it will trigger the alarm.

I'm also upset enough that I'm tempted to "booby trap" the stuff somehow with mousetraps, which can offer a nice "bite to the hand" of the culprit.

I really want to get to the bottom of this. We don't live in a bad area, and while we have a couple "questionable" neighbors, the timing of this is too much a coincidence that it may just be a way to "flush us out". We're not going to mention this morning's incident to the office manager, just for that possible reason. If it is the complex, then why can't they just say, "We don't want any items to be stored under the closets anymore. Please remove them." That also leads us to believe that we're being "targeted".

So, any thoughts or ideas???

•   
    • So fetch

Re: I Need Sherlock Holmes or the Goonies!! (Please Help Me Solve a Theft)

Too bad there isn't a way to rig up a nanny-cam in a carport. That would be the easiest way to find out who is doing all that stuff.

That's one drawback about being a renter. If you're made a target of the management/owner there's only so much you can do about it besides moving.

p.s I do like the mousetrap idea

• Happy Memories

Is there some reason that you believe they would want to target you? I'm just curious. I don't really have anything to offer in the way of suggestions to help you out, i'm just trying to understand more of the backstory here.

• horsin' around!

you can let the landlord know in just a 'conversational way' that you've allerted the police to shenanagans (don't spell check that) in the area & since you respect the complex so much you wanted them to do a drive around to keep the place safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Is there some reason that you believe they would want to target you? I'm just curious. I don't really have anything to offer in the way of suggestions to help you out, i'm just trying to understand more of the backstory here.
    Nope. That's why it's so baffling. The only thing we can think of would be that the new regional manager decided she didn't like us because of the tiki patio, and therefore may consider us "trash" or something. It's very confusing. And, we've always gotten along with the office manager - she's been very nice to us.

Although, we found out that one of our nice neighbors has also been told to take down his patio lights, and another was recently told that his small digital Dish needs to be "rearranged" on his patio, because it's "unsightly". This stuff just started occurring when the new regional manager started back in January.

Our apartment is also a good price for the area..... so another theory we have is that they're trying to "smoke out" some of the residents, so they can get new people in to pay the higher prices??

Quote Originally Posted by pixywingz
    you can let the landlord know in just a 'conversational way' that you've allerted the police to shenanagans (don't spell check that) in the area & since you respect the complex so much you wanted them to do a drive around to keep the place safe?
    Nice one!!! I like that. Heck, I could even say that one of our friends works as a private investigator and has offered to help us out.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

And how do we know it isn't the OFFICE MANAGER....hmmmmm? This person WANTS you to think these things have been stolen, but it's HER way of getting rid of something she doesn't want seen. She SAYS she had to chase some kids away...but maybe that's just her flimsy alibi. Maybe she has ulterior motives.

I'd keep an eye on her if I were you.

Gah, girl, I'm sorry this is happening. Hopefully it truly is kids being a pain. I like the alarm idea or the nanny-cam. Nanny-cam works for evidence when you go to the apartment manager and ask for help solving it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The Unknown Princess

Oh wow Disneyphile. I get that feeling in my complex too but that's a different story. I would watch out about the mousetraps though..with how sue-happy people are getting, they'd no doubt sue you for it even if they shouldn't be in there. There has been robbers who sue those they were robbing because they got "hurt on the job" and have won. I can't find the link to it but I remember hearing about it in the news (well as much as you can trust the news).
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

•   
    • So fetch

Nanny-cams small wireless cameras that some parents used when they have a babysitter/nanny they want to check up on during the day. Other people used them to make sure their housekeepers/maid/cleaning ladies are doing their job too. I don't have one personally (the only babysitters we have are the grandparents). I'm sure if you google "nanny-cam" you can find out more info.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

You can hide nanny cams in things like radios and teddy bears (many come already in those types of things)... I think that might be a good option for you guys.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile

Our apartment is also a good price for the area..... so another theory we have is that they're trying to "smoke out" some of the residents, so they can get new people in to pay the higher prices??
    This sounds completely reasonable. They can't just say "get out" or they open themselves to legal action, so they have to try and annoy you until it's "your idea" to leave. I've never been a renter myself os I'm not really sure what action you take to deal with situations like this.

• Huh?

Here's an idea... get a creepy Japanese dead kid to haunt the garage... that'll teach them to come around! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast